Page 45 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Picked up a cheap used copy of The Essential Ellison the other day. Not sure I should have bought it, since apparently there's an updated edition with about 250 pages more story content, but for 8 bucks it was hard to turn down.

Not today but last week, Vampire Hunter D volume 1, it is a good, pulp/horror/western read.

I bought Usagi Yojimbo Volume 26 from Amazon today. I can't wait to read it.

I also checked Evolution: The Story of Life on Earth by Jay Hosler from the librarary. It's a graphic novel explaining evolution.

The Omen Machine -- by Terry Goodkind

Thumbs up

finally picked up the last two books in A.A. Attanasio's
    'King Arthur' series - plan on reading them during the winter~

Love those covers.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

How the States got Their Shapes which is an interesting coffee table book that can be read from any random section.

My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Bought Pyrrhus of Epirus by Jeff Champion a couple of days ago, was a good read!

For some reason I can't read fiction novels anymore. Just ancient history non-fiction.
    Cable's death seemed like a soldier's fate simply and finally catching up with a man never not at war - Mainline

My Cable website: http://cableaskani.webs.com/

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by markdienekes View Post
    Bought Pyrrhus of Epirus by Jeff Champion a couple of days ago, was a good read!

For some reason I can't read fiction novels anymore. Just ancient history non-fiction.
    Pyrrhus was one of the best reads in Plutarch's Lives - his bio reads like something out of Robert E. Howard. Is there much in the Champion book besides Plutarch? Not sure how much Pyrrhus material is available from other sources.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I got two books today:

Laurie R. King - The God of the Hive

Michael Connelly - The Reversal
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Where the Highway Ends and the Desert Breaks

A three-volume, hardcover set of Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire for $13. Not bad, methinks.
    "Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Pyrrhus was one of the best reads in Plutarch's Lives - his bio reads like something out of Robert E. Howard. Is there much in the Champion book besides Plutarch? Not sure how much Pyrrhus material is available from other sources.
    Sadly, Plutarch is the only full biography we have of his life. There are fragments from other writers, and sections which coincide with Plutarch's account... but the ancient sources are very scarce sadly.
    Cable's death seemed like a soldier's fate simply and finally catching up with a man never not at war - Mainline

My Cable website: http://cableaskani.webs.com/

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by markdienekes View Post
    Sadly, Plutarch is the only full biography we have of his life. There are fragments from other writers, and sections which coincide with Plutarch's account... but the ancient sources are very scarce sadly.
    That's what I was wondering - if Plutarch is basically the only source we have for info on Pyrrhus apart from a few paragraphs in Livy or whoever, how does Champion make a 200 page book out of that?

my own most recent purchases:

The Sunday of Life, by Raymond Queneau
    - hadn't heard of this Queneau book before, but saw it at a decent price in the local used bookstore.

What Is Mathematics?, by Richard Courant and Herbert Robbins.
    - was looking for a good math overview/refresher book & saw this recommended while searching around the web for ideas.

Double Indemnity by James Cain, a used copy in terrific condition only cost a $1!