Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33737980818283848586 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1279
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

The Skies Discrowned and An Epitaph of Rust: The Complete Novels by Tim Powers
    Three Days to Never by Tim Powers
    Once in a Blue Moon by Simon R. Green
    Rex Regis by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
    Expletive Deleted

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Unknown worlds : tales from beyond, a 1989 anthology of short stories from the legendary Unknown magazine.

I admit that I am just a little disappointed; not by the stories, which are really, really good, but because some of them were already to be found in a similar book I bought in 1976 ("Les meilleurs récits de Unknown"). It's understandable that the best stories would be found in any book with a "best of..." theme (although the brilliantly funny Theodore Sturgeon tale "yesterday was Monday" isn't there) but I hoped for many more stories to compensate (this being a bigger book).

Oh, well, the ones I haven't already read will probably make it up to me once I start reading.
    Last edited by Roquefort Raider; 01-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Shatner Rules by William Shatner. If you are a Shatner fan and want a good laugh read this book. Its great.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I picked up Laurie R. King's The Pirate King and Garment of Shadows mysteries today as well as David Weber's A Rising Thunder.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor - stumbled across a piece on Star Wars.com about Lord Shadownspawn and he sounded very interesting. Enough me to read a SW novel with Luke for the first time in decades.

If it sucks, I'll just go back to waiting for something else about Kenobi.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Recently got the collection of Arnon Grunberg short stories that came out late last year, entitled Apocalyps. Finished it yesterday, and found that most of the stories lean a bit much toward the grotesque for my tastes. I prefer his more tempered absurdist novels, but then even his tempered works feature something of a psychological unravelling of the main character(s).

Star Trek Voyager - Protectors by Kirsten Beyer.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. It sounds like he's taking a slightly more straightforward approach, compared with his Ambergris stories, so I'm interested in seeing how his style translates.

Broken Homes by Ben Aaaronovitch. I bought this six months ago from Amazon UK, but it's finally being released in the U.S. It's not exactly a unique premise, but the character work is excellent and Aaronovitch gives his London a nicely lived-in feel. Also, I'm a sucker for brutalist architecture.
    Expletive Deleted

I got two books today:

Jennifer Roberson's Sword-Bound

Greg Cox - Star Trek The Original Series: No Time Like The Past
    I'm on Twitter

Cold Dish by Rick Nichols. Its the fifth book in his awesome John Logan PI series.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Tsarina by J. Nelle Patrick - a slightly alternate history of the Romanovs (particularly Alexei and the girl he's smitten with)

Prospero Burns (The Horus Heresy) by Dan Abnett (Very rusty with Warhammer 40k (played when they introduced Realm of Chaos in the late 80s.) Still the Space Wolves sound right up my alley and I'm curious to read Abnett's licensed novel work.

The Russian Bear (Mountain Man Pike #7) by J. Meek (used) - this sounds like dime novel trash all the way. Probably will be a fast read.

The Scorpion (Legend of the Five Rings: Clan War, First Scroll) (used) by Stephen Sullivan

Think this is going to it be for awhile and seeing how slow I read, probably bought more than I can read for the next five weeks.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Was by Geoff Ryman (been meaning to pick this up for ages, and just saw it'd been released as an e-book)
    A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar and The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Nebula nominees that looked interesting)
    Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (new release, sequel to the decent Way of Kings from a few years back)
    Grunts by Mary Gentle (read this years ago, but lost my last copy in a move)
    A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay (ditto)
    Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos (military sci-fi, but getting some good blurbs and reviews)
    Expletive Deleted

Found a sale of an old (portuguese translated) SCI-Fi paperback collection and bought 5 books for 5€ (6-7 dollars).

The Patchwork Girl by Larry Niven
    Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny
    Night Walk by Bob Shaw
    The Horn of Time by Poul Anderson
    The Saliva Tree by Brian W. Aldiss

I made sure I only bought books from unknown authors (at least to me). Has anyone read any of this titles? Any gem I should pick up first?

Damnation Alley is the only one of the five I've read. It's not my favorite of Zelazny's, but it's a lot of fun and you can see its influence on more recent post-apocalyptic fiction.

At all costs, avoid the movie.
    Expletive Deleted