Page 59 of 86 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Just returned from the LA Times Festival of Books. Didn't get as many books as I did last year but here's what I picked up:

- Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore
    - Tahoe Hijack by Todd Borg (the 9th in his Owen McKenna mysteries series; I'm a big fan of his works)
    - Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

I was lucky enough to go by the local US Post Office Saturday and see that the library was having a book sale.I ended picking up some good reader stuff for myself and my father.

Death Is A Lonely Business (HB) Ray Bradbeury
    The Stories of Ray Bradbury (HB) Ray Bradbury
    The Complete H.G. Wells (HB) H.G. Wells
    The Little Sister (PB) Raymond Chandler
    The Lady In The Lake (PB) Raymond Chandler
    Flash Gordon In The Sand World Of Mongo (PB)
    And Walk Me Gently Through The Fire (HB) R.A. Lafferty
    Time To Hunt (PB) Stephen Hunter
    The Historian (HB) Elizabeth Kostova

all of the above for $4.00.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

The Mongoliad, Book One by Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear, Mark Teppo, et al. I passed on it when it was a multimedia smartphone app, but as an ebook . . . sure.
    Expletive Deleted

Infidel by Kameron Hurley- I really liked the last book(God's War), so I'm giving the sequel a try.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I picked up two Robert K. Tanenbaum thrillers (Betrayed and Outrage) and I got the Battleship movie novelization written by Peter David.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    the Battleship movie novelization written by Peter David.
    Heh. He's a great writer, but I get the feeling he turns very few jobs down...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Heh. He's a great writer, but I get the feeling he turns very few jobs down...
    So what? Man's gotta work.

And I've found most of his work highly enjoyable. The funny thing is I have no interest in the movie but I will read the book.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Julian Comstock, by Robert Charles Wilson. A dystopian near-future written by the guy who gave us the brilliant Spin? I'm in.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Julian Comstock, by Robert Charles Wilson. A dystopian near-future written by the guy who gave us the brilliant Spin? I'm in.
    Let me know what this one is like, I have been curious about it for a while.

I purchased The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling. In 1878, a deadly asteroid shower decimates the population of the Northern Hemisphere and forces the relocation of the British Empire to its southern colonies in India, Australia, and South Africa. Two centuries later, when the British Raj faces deadly threats from rival empires, the crown prince places his trust and the fate of the empire in the hands of a young officer in the Peshawar Lancers and his twin sister, a brilliant and innovative scientist.

Library sale this past Saturday. I got 10 or 12 books for $6.50. 4 Star Trek books, a Gargoyles kids book, The Wit of Winston, Aesops Fables, Essential Descartes, a Margaret Atwood book and a couple others. Add Free Comic Book Day, Avengers, Cinqo De Mayo, BBQ at a friends place, and mix for a very nice weekend.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

The crusades by Harold Lamb, the 1930 edition still retaining its dust jacket. It was on sale for fifteen bucks, which is quite acceptable for such a venerable book! Lamb is one great storyteller.

Hit an estate sale and picked up the following paperback originals:

77 Rue Paradis by Gil Brewer, Gold Medal 1955
    One-way Ticket by Bert Hitchens, Permabook 1958
    The Big Boodle by Robert Sylvester, Permabook 1955
    Chance Elson by W. T. Ballard, Cardinal 1959
    The Crazy Mixed-Up Corpse by Mike Avallone, Gold Medal 1957
    Give the Little Corpse a Great Big Hand by George Bagby, Dell 1953
    Assignment Lowlands by Edward Aarons, Gold Medal 1961.

Quote Originally Posted by hugglebunny View Post
    Let me know what this one is like, I have been curious about it for a while.

I purchased The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling. In 1878, a deadly asteroid shower decimates the population of the Northern Hemisphere and forces the relocation of the British Empire to its southern colonies in India, Australia, and South Africa. Two centuries later, when the British Raj faces deadly threats from rival empires, the crown prince places his trust and the fate of the empire in the hands of a young officer in the Peshawar Lancers and his twin sister, a brilliant and innovative scientist.
    I loved The Peshawar lancers! Really nice alternate history, even if it depicts a somewhat rosy picture of the british Raj. Great adventure story, though.

Julian Comstock was thoroughly enjoyable, too. The XIXth century tone of the narration is very appropriate and amusing.

Bleeding, Blistering, & Purging: Health & Medicine in the 1800s (Daily Life in America in the 1800s). I expect it to be very interesting! Since I'm continuing to write a series about mutants in the wild west, I believe this book should give me some important insights into what a doctor from that period would make of mutants. What's even more interesting is that the doctor in my novella-in-progress is Ashbel Smith, who apparently tasted the black vomit of those who suffered from Yellow Fever to see if it was contagious or not. Wow! Glad I picked him. Most people are prejudiced against mutants...but he'll be different. :)
    Buy my book! It's got mutants in the wild west!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cash-...24463304272965

I got 7 Shadowrun sourcebooks from the FASA era.