Page 58 of 86 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Put in an order online for
    Goethe's Faust: Part 2
    The Golden Ass
    Kingdom Come
    Last edited by KingOfCups; 04-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

First Blood, a collection of the first two "Thieves' World" anthologies edited by Lynn Abbey and Robert Aspirin.
    Expletive Deleted

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCups View Post
    Put in an order online for
    Goethe's Faust: Part 2
    The Golden Ass
    Kingdom Come
    One of these things is not like the others ...

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

La male malices, Bob Morane #138 in the old Marabout numbering. I used to have this book but it was lent (not by me!) to some kid who apparently forgot about it. And that was unfortunate because nobody remembered who the kid was! For two decades I thought it didn't matter at all, since I could always read a new edition at the library...

...but it's not the same, dammit! I wanted that book back, with its Henri Lievens cover! Such is the completist's sorry attitude regarding material possessions.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    One of these things is not like the others ...
    Yeah, I know this is a thread about literature, but I ordered them all at the same time, so why not mention the TPB I got as well.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    La male malices, Bob Morane #138 in the old Marabout numbering. I used to have this book but it was lent (not by me!) to some kid who apparently forgot about it. And that was unfortunate because nobody remembered who the kid was! For two decades I thought it didn't matter at all, since I could always read a new edition at the library...

...but it's not the same, dammit! I wanted that book back, with its Henri Lievens cover! Such is the completist's sorry attitude regarding material possessions.
    I've probably asked you this before and been answered, but what are your top Bob Morane stories? I've picked up a few here and there over the last few years but haven't gotten round to reading them yet. I have La Patrouille du Temps, among others - think I might have gotten that one on your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCups View Post
    Yeah, I know this is a thread about literature, but I ordered them all at the same time, so why not mention the TPB I got as well.
    Actually I was thinking more that the other two are deservedly considered classics and well worth reading, while, from what I've seen, Kingdom Come isn't. But then I haven't read KC.

Actually I was thinking more that the other two are deservedly considered classics and well worth reading, while, from what I've seen, Kingdom Come isn't. But then I haven't read KC.
    The crazy thing is that Kingdom Come is required reading in literature classes I guess. At least that's what I got from some of the Amazon comments.

Picked up "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. Also picked up the Elminster Saga.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I picked up Alex Kava's Hotwire today.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I've probably asked you this before and been answered, but what are your top Bob Morane stories? I've picked up a few here and there over the last few years but haven't gotten round to reading them yet. I have La Patrouille du Temps, among others - .
    Since the series ranges from noir fiction to science-fiction by way of the supernatural, there's really something for everyone. As a teen, I used to prefer the Sf stories (among which the Time Patrol stories were indeed favorites, especially since they featured Mr Ming, the Fu Manchu-crossed-with-Thanos nemesis of Morane... but nowadays I'd say I prefer the earlier books, still set in a '50s minset of colonialism and exoticism.

Perennial favorites are tha Ananke cycle, a series withon the series set on a delightfully designed parallel world, and book #18, with the charmingly naive title "les monstres de l'espace". I used to reread that one eery year. It has a great recipe: a mysterious meteor that brings *something* back to Earth (deep in the African jungle), something that grows fast and drinks blood, the Gevaudan monster or something very similar, and good old-fashioned heroism. It was Predator before Predator existed, without the steroids.

Nostalgia is probably a great part of the appeal of the series; it harks back to the days when heroes could simply be heroic without having to undergo self-doubts and guilt, vut also not act like jerks to prove how hard-core they were. Action heroes who would hold a door open for a lady, if you will.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula- The Bloody Red Baron.

The White Luck Warrior by R. Scott Bakker.

Bossypants by Tina Fey
    God, No by Penn Jillette
    2nd book in the new Bone series
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Picked up two books today.
    1. Turn Coat by Jim Butcher. (yes. I am addicted to the Dresden Files. Why? Because they are good).
    2. Flag in Exile by David Weber. ( HONOR HARRINGTON series. Strong female protagonist. Among my favorites).

Just picked up "The Killing Bone" by Peter Saxon.
    Part of the Guardians series.
    I really liked "The Curse of Rathlaw" so I am hoping this is just as good.