Page 1 of 86 123451151 ... LastLast
    Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Default What book did you buy today, part 2.

Continuing from this thread.

Smaller threads make for happier servers.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Oh Nice!

I am not a mod here, But I post here frequently enough.

People! Listen up.

Instead of this thread becoming one huge thread of listing titles and such. Can we all encourage discussion or comments on people's books as they list them?

Sound like fun?

Today I bought:

The lion, the witch and the wardrobe--C.s. Lewis.
    Pinocchio--Carlo Collodi.
    Candide and selected stories--Voltaire.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by General Grievous View Post
    Oh Nice!

I am not a mod here, But I post here frequently enough.

People! Listen up.

Instead of this thread becoming one huge thread of listing titles and such. Can we all encourage discussion or comments on people's books as they list them?
    We can try.

Today I bought:

The only one of these I've read is the Lewis book. I think you have to have read these as a child to really like them. I never read them until I was an adult reading them with my sons. And I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the big deal was. I've met a few other people who first read them as adults who felt the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    We can try.
    Thanks Slam!

Yeah. I can appreciate most children's classics (Is that apostrope in the right place?) will lose some appeal to the older reader. I have noticed this myself recently with the wind in the willows.

It's a nice break from the *Atlas shrugged and *Brave new world* type of books I have to read.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Thanks Slam!

Yeah. I can appreciate most children's classics (Is that apostrope in the right place?) will lose some appeal to the older reader. I have noticed this myself recently with the wind in the willows.

It's a nice break from the *Atlas shrugged and *Brave new world* type of books I have to read.
    I read a lot of children's lit with my boys. We read for at least 1/2 hour a night. A lot of it is pretty enjoyable. Some not so much.

Most of it is new to me because I read almost no children's lit as a child.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Sound like fun?
    That sounds great, General.

Today I bought:

I saw two movie versions of the first (never read it), three movie versions of the second (never read it) and read the third (I don't think there's a movie).

Is L'ingénu part of the selected stories that follow Candide? It was a good take on the concept of the "good savage" (and Voltaire gets to have fun with his anticlerical views, what with the hero being made the godson of a woman and then immediately learn that he can't marry her, because you can't marry your godmother).

Candide is of course famous for its great line about everything being for the best in the best of possible worlds, and I frequently use Dr. Panglosse's example of spectacles and the nose in biology class. (""It is demonstrable," said he, "that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for all being created for an end, all is necessarily for the best end. Observe, that the nose has been formed to bear spectacles—thus we have spectacles.") That's pretty much the creationists' argument right there, when they talk about design.

I'll admit that 400 pages of Voltaire is pretty much all I can swallow in one sitting. He's great at making a point, but he really likes to make it over and over and over!!!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Read through half of Lion, Witch and the wardrobe. For some reason I stopped and never continued. Maybe it was the omniscient POV of the narration.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Thanks Slam!

I love reading children's classic. I love being able to read something I loved as a child, and then reading as an adult and taking away something completely different. Two of my favorites are; The Little Prince and Peter Pan. They will never get old for me I think. Although The Neverending Story and The Last Unicorn hold a special place in my heart too. I met Beagle at San Diego Comic Con and got a signed copy of the Last Unicorn and it is fast becoming a very prized possession.

I just bought and started reading Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip Dick. I am hooked and loving it. I was also excited to hear there is a comic going based on it I will have to try out. That way I can try it in 3 different mediums. It was also what the movie Bladerunner is based on.

A book came out late last year that's all about revisiting Narnia as an adult -- The Magician's Book by Laura Miller.

It got good reviews and I ordered it for work but haven't read it yet.

I also recently received a small Amazon order.

Insomnia Diary by Bob Hicok, a poetry collection discovered via the Writer's Almanac, which is how I get most of my contemporary poetry.

Ophelia Has Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float : Classic Lit Signs onto Facebook by Sarah Schmelling. (Sadly, not the writer who did the Pride and Prejudice-themed Facebook parody, but this one looks good too.)

And most importantly, an unabridged pop-up version of The Little Prince. (Speaking of easily revisited children's literature.) It's just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Nort View Post
    I also recently received a small Amazon order.

And most importantly, an unabridged pop-up version of The Little Prince. (Speaking of easily revisited children's literature.) It's just gorgeous.
    ::gasp:: Oh my goodness. I think I need that? Amazon you say? I am seriously going to hunt that down. I love that book so much. I actually have a tattoo of it on my back because the book has such personal meaning to me.

See, I was the opposite. I read all of the Narnia books a few years ago for the first time when I was 24 or 25, and I enjoyed them all. Mind you, I haven't picked them up since then, so I might not love them as much as I did when I initially read them.

I'll definitely read them again when I have children of my own.

I read them when I was 13 or 14. Something like that. Anyway, I enjoyed the first three books and the sixth one. I remember finding Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader incredibly boring (in fact, I didn't even finish the latter).

For some reason I never read the last book.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Nort View Post

I've never read The Little Prince.

Veteran Member

My most recent purchase was Baring the Iron Hand: Discipline in the Union Army, by Steven Ramold.