Page 129 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2109

The Son of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Psychological violence Moose100's Avatar

No clue this forum was here.
    The Expanse trilogy.
    Leviathan Wakes
    Calibans War
    Abbodons Gate

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Finished the Lorna Barrett novel Bookplate Special.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

A Curious Man: The Strange and Brilliant Life of Robert "Believe It or Not!" Ripley by Neal Thompson

As a child certain things stood out. One of those things was the ubiquitousness of paperback books of Ripley's Believe It or Not. They were at home. At the library. In every classroom. And just about the time they seemed to have gone away...there was Jack Palance on the television. I grew up with Ripley...without knowing a thing about him.

And oddly that didn't change. While no expert, I'm well versed in comic strip history. But Robert Ripley's name seldom seems to come up. For all that he was the highest paid cartoonist of the time, he takes a historical back seat to Caniff, Capp, etc., etc.

This book finally gives Ripley his due. From his hardluck childhood to multimedia phenomenon we get a well-paced look at one of the great cartoonists and travelers of the early 20th Century. This is the unadulterated Ripley, warts and all. And well worth the read.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    A Curious Man: The Strange and Brilliant Life of Robert "Believe It or Not!" Ripley by Neal Thompson

As a child certain things stood out. One of those things was the ubiquitousness of paperback books of Ripley's Believe It or Not. They were at home. At the library. In every classroom. And just about the time they seemed to have gone away...there was Jack Palance on the television. I grew up with Ripley...without knowing a thing about him.

And oddly that didn't change. While no expert, I'm well versed in comic strip history. But Robert Ripley's name seldom seems to come up. For all that he was the highest paid cartoonist of the time, he takes a historical back seat to Caniff, Capp, etc., etc.

This book finally gives Ripley his due. From his hardluck childhood to multimedia phenomenon we get a well-paced look at one of the great cartoonists and travelers of the early 20th Century. This is the unadulterated Ripley, warts and all. And well worth the read.
    Ripley's Believe It or Not still occupied a prominent space in the local newspaper when I was growing up in the late 60s-early70s. Can't recall right now exactly when it disappeared from there - was it before the tv show, or did the two overlap?

I finished the C.J. box novel "Blood Trail" today.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Ripley's Believe It or Not still occupied a prominent space in the local newspaper when I was growing up in the late 60s-early70s. Can't recall right now exactly when it disappeared from there - was it before the tv show, or did the two overlap?
    It's still in syndication. Not sure how many papers it's in. But there are new panels online.

Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett.

Easily one of he best Discworld novels yet.

Doctor Who: Ten Little Aliens by Stephen Cole

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

A very entertaining book narrated by a hired gun.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Dare Me by Megan Abbott. If I describe the high concept, it's going to sound incredibly trashy and gimmicky (and there's an extent to which that's true), but it's really a very solid neo-noir with sharp dialogue. Set in a high school. Starring cheerleaders. See?
    Expletive Deleted

I finished reading the Castle tie in novel Deadly Heat today.
    I'm on Twitter

Butchers Moon by Richard Stark.

This is the last of the original Parker novels. It also deviates from the format that had run through all the previous books. It's twice as long as most of the books. And it's not divided in to sections as the others had been. Yeah, it was formula but it was formula that worked.

Not that this one didn't work. It was an OK read. But I found it to be among the weaker books in the series. A lot of the characterization seemed a touch off.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I read this a while ago, but I'm re-reading it before I tackle the sequel, so I thought I'd mention it.

The premise is that a crackpot inventor in Wisconsin develops a simple device called a Stepper, using easily sourced components (including a potato), that allows a person to travel to alternate Earths. All of these alternate Earths are virgin worlds, seemingly untouched by humanity. Several of the threads tracks the diaspora as various people and groups branch out hundreds of thousands of worlds away from the so-called Datum Earth in search of new frontiers, while others track the effects of population loss and unlimited natural resources on those who remain. The main characters are ostensibly a young man who can naturally Step between worlds and an AI who claims to be a reincarnated Tibetan motorcycle mechanic, but the book spends just as much time away from them as with them.

It's a lot more Baxter than Pratchett, but you can play "Spot Terry's Contribution" relatively easily. There are some characters and concepts that are clearly his work, and a few chapters that have his stamp. Still, Baxter does solid science fiction. He's maybe a little too technical in places (I don't think I needed quite so much information about the AI's inner workings) and his character work tends towards the bland, but he handles the shifting perspective and rotating cast with aplomb and the extrapolations and implications of Stepping are well thought out. Overall, it's decent. It's not a home run, but for a little bit of above average soft sci-fi or for Pratchett completists, it's worth a look.
    Expletive Deleted