Page 119 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2109
    Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

The shadow over Innsmouth, by H.P. Lovecraft.

When the Mythoscope people who flmed the call of C'thulhu and The whisperer in darkness decide t do another movie, I hope that's the story they choose! Simple yet effective tale on the "they are among us" vein of suspense.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    The shadow over Innsmouth, by H.P. Lovecraft.

When the Mythoscope people who flmed the call of C'thulhu and The whisperer in darkness decide t do another movie, I hope that's the story they choose! Simple yet effective tale on the "they are among us" vein of suspense.
    There is a movie based on The shadow over Innsmouth if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_%282007_film%29
    I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on it's quality, but reviews seem positive...

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

You by Austin Grossman is about lives lived infused with video games. In the early '80s, a group of high school students created a deceptively simple roleplaying game engine in a computer science class. You is about one of those students who went off to do his own thing, but by the late '90s he finds himself back with the others doing game development for their company. He discovers a bug in the latest installment of the game, and realizes that it's an artifact of the original version from his youth. He has to play through all of group's games (and their spin-offs), tracing the history of computer gaming and his own personal history, to find the source of the bug.

The protagonist is fairly passive, the only significant female character is underwritten, and the most interesting character appears only in flashback. It's heavily tied into a very specific set of experiences. If you're not a member of a very narrow slice of Generation X, you lose the nostalgia element, and without the nostalgia element I don't know how well it works. That said, I am in that demographic, so it does work for me.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 05-07-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB. View Post
    There is a movie based on The shadow over Innsmouth if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_%282007_film%29
    I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on it's quality, but reviews seem positive...
    I haven't seen that one yet and would like to, but I don't think it would be the same kind of adaptation as those of the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society... those people are really into the source material! Thanks for the heads up, though.

Im reading A Muslim Suicide by Bensalem Himmich

This has nothing to do with suicide other than the American publisher thought it was better title than the original arabic title of "Al-Andalusia". Its about the real historical life of one of Islam's most radical thinkers, the Sufi philosopher Ibn Sab'in. For a smart diary like book from the point of a radical philopher that the other islamic philosophers thougth was too radical in the novel he seems to spent most of his time trying to bed muslim,christian,jewish girls. Its funny, ironical for a religious philosopher he isnt very moral in the way he acts.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Reading the Bloody Reign of Slayer by Joel McIver. I'd like to throttle McIver for forcibly inserting his opinion of Slayer's songs and constant mention/comparison of Metallica into an otherwise interesting account of their history (when told from Slayer's perspective.) Even worse, for someone who has supposively been a fan since the mid 80s some glaring mistakes left in the second edition of this thankfully unofficial history. Reading this makes me not want to touch any other Metal history/unofficial biography McIver has written (including the upcoming biography on Soulfly/Sepultura/etc.'s Max Cavalera, which I was looking forward to.)
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger.

Excellent cyberpunk/noir story. Really a great read.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I haven't seen that one yet and would like to, but I don't think it would be the same kind of adaptation as those of the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society... those people are really into the source material! Thanks for the heads up, though.
    Cthulhu is OK, but Stuart Gordon's Dagon (despite its title) is quite an effective semi-adaptation of "Innsmouth."

But, yes, the HPLHS guys would be the dream team for adapting the story ... or, for that matter, anything else by HPL.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger.

Excellent cyberpunk/noir story. Really a great read.
    It is indeed. The two sequels are quite good as well. (I didn't realize till just now, upon checking Effinger's Wikipedia entry to make sure I correctly remembered the number of follow-ups, that apparently a collection of related short fiction came out a few years ago.) I've read precious little sf over, I guess, the last 25 years or so, but I'm pleased to have made an exception for these.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Picked up a random mystery from the unsorted stacks in my book room a couple of days ago, Tess Gerritsen's Body Double, because the dustjacket description looked promising & found it pretty darned captivating. Did a bit of research & found out that it's the fourth in a series of 10 (so far). Happily, the remaining nine all appear to be in the local library system's holdings; I finished the first one, The Surgeon, last night & have the second, third, fifth & sixth checked out.
    And damn if I didn't wind up devouring all 10 of these in less than two weeks, followed by a non-series novel of Gerritsen's. Considering that they average probably 350 pages in length, I strongly suspect that that's the most concentrated reading I've ever done as far as a single author is concerned.

I've since moved on to the suspense novelist Lisa Gardner; 2 1/2 of hers down so far, a dozen or so to go.

-- Reptisaurus!

Finished up Jingo by Terry Pratchett. Above average Discworld novel centering on The Watch and the redoubtable Samuel Vimes.

Cthulhu is OK, but Stuart Gordon's Dagon (despite its title) is quite an effective semi-adaptation of "Innsmouth." .
    Noted! I've just watched the haunted palace on Youtube, and although it's not what I'd call a proper adaptation it was still a lot of fun. So even if Dagon does not stick to the chapter and verse of HPL's stories, I won't mind a bit as long as it's a honest effort.

Have you seen The Resurrected (1992, directed by Dan O'Bannon)? If memory serves, it hews a little more closely to Charles Dexter Ward than Haunted Palace does, though I quite agree that the latter movie is quite fun.

-- Reptisaurus!

And speaking of the HPL Historical Society, they've come out with this.

-- Reptisaurus!

And speaking of the HPL Historical Society, they've come out with this.
    Respect !!!