Page 118 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2111
    RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I finished the David Baldacci book "The Forgotten" and Vince Flynn's "The Last Man" in the last few days.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Almuric by Robert E. Howard

It reads like ERB first John Carter book in early on but Howard style of writing,vivid action fit this type of book like no others. Leanest,grimmast Sword and planet story i have read so far and i have read all the famous ones.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

And again...since the last time.

Nostradamus Ate My Hamster by Robert Rankin

Paint Your Dragon by Tom Holt

The Seventh by Richard Stark

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Fade to Blonde by Max Phillips.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Almuric by Robert E. Howard

It reads like ERB first John Carter book in early on but Howard style of writing,vivid action fit this type of book like no others. Leanest,grimmast Sword and planet story i have read so far and i have read all the famous ones.
    The grimness of that tale, one of the last ones Howard wrote, often made me wonder if he wasn't already feeling suicidal as he typed. Esau Cairn is a truly tortured man, feeling totally out of place in his own world, and Almuric is as much a paean to the liberation of Man from the chains of society as it is an adventure story. Granted, with hindsight it's easy to say such things... but I really felt that Almuric was like a shout for help, or at least a shout of revolt from someone who wasn't happy with his situation and saw no hope of escaping. (One thing Almuric definitely isn't, it's hopeful). Still... excellent tale by a master of adventure.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Does anyone have any new horror novels they could suggest? The last few I've chosen have been duds.

Quote Originally Posted by johanna89 View Post
    Does anyone have any new horror novels they could suggest? The last few I've chosen have been duds.
    Not really new but I just finished reading Woman in Black, I wanted to watch the movie but choose to read the book first and although it's a little bit predictable it was a nice little story. Might be worth checking it out if you haven't already.

The once and future king.

Had a great time reading it, very clever and entertaining book.

One of Archard's Agents Amacent's Avatar

A Week In Winter by Maeve Binchy - A book my Dad recommended. What a heart-warming story. I usually avoid novels similar to this one, but I'm quite enjoying it.

The Man With Two Left Feet, and Other Stories by P. G. Wodehouse - I LOVE Wodehouse so I'm having a blast reading this collection of short stories.

Sprout Mask Replica by Robert Rankin. This one is unusual even for Rankin. It's written as an autobiography of "The Chosen One". It's off the wall Rankin and it starts pretty strong. But the payoff isn't really there. If you're already a Rankin fan it's well worth a read. But it's far from his best work.

The Rare Coin Score by Richard Stark. A good entry in a swell series. We see a touch more of a human side to Parker this time around, though he's still the hardboiled sociopath. I have to wonder, though, if at some point people are going to stop working with him. It's been a very long time since one of his jobs didn't go south.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

London Falling by Paul Cornell.

If I were going to recommend a perfectly serviceable urban fantasy from a former Dr. Who writer about initially ordinary London cops who get tangled up in supernatural weirdness relating to the secret history of the city . . . it'd probably be Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London. But this was good, too.
    Expletive Deleted

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

As noted in the Classics forum a few minutes ago, last night I was sailing through Jonathan Valin's The Lime Pit, got to page 140 or so (about 60 percent of the way through) & ... ran into about 3 dozen missing pages. Aaaaaaargh. We've got only one used bookstore here (& it's closed Mondays), & odds are it won't have a copy (I already know the library system doesn't), so I guess I'll be buying a replacement copy via mail order.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Hopefully the replacement copy won't have the same problem! There's a big Lovecraft compendium from Barnes and Noble I had my eye on, but it's said to have suffered from such a bad print run with missing pages.

Speaking of the devil, I just finished the dream-quest of unknown Kadath. Probably a bit tame for the tastes of the hardcore cosmic abomination stories fans, but I greatly enjoyed its dreamlike atmosphere. Its rare that a story, even set in a dream, can so acurately evoke an oniric experience.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Hopefully the replacement copy won't have the same problem! There's a big Lovecraft compendium from Barnes and Noble I had my eye on, but it's said to have suffered from such a bad print run with missing pages.
    Nah ... in this case, the problem clearly stemmed from rough handling of the book. I bought it as an ex-library copy some years ago; now I know why it wound up as a discard.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Picked up a random mystery from the unsorted stacks in my book room a couple of days ago, Tess Gerritsen's Body Double, because the dustjacket description looked promising & found it pretty darned captivating. Did a bit of research & found out that it's the fourth in a series of 10 (so far). Happily, the remaining nine all appear to be in the local library system's holdings; I finished the first one, The Surgeon, last night & have the second, third, fifth & sixth checked out.

-- Reptisaurus!

the xenophobe at 9o'clock divinebrown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johanna89 View Post
    Your House Is on Fire, Your Children All Gone by Stefan Kiesbye. A short novel full of linked stories about four awful German children. I thought this was excellent, but your mileage will vary depending on what sort of horror you're looking to explore. The supernatural only appears as overtones, though I think this serves the story well. It is new, from late last year, so you're covered there.