Page 117 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2109
    Veteran Member

I've never read anything by Herbert but I've been meaning to try something ever since reading an interview with him in the highly recommended Paperback Fanatic a few months ago. Probably The Rats or The Fog, to start with, though I used to lean more towards the supernatural when I was reading a lot of horror.

Still on Shakespeare with McBeth (cool read), King Lear (bored so much that i didn't even finish it) and Othello. (one of my favorite)

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I've never read anything by Herbert but I've been meaning to try something ever since reading an interview with him in the highly recommended Paperback Fanatic a few months ago. Probably The Rats or The Fog, to start with, though I used to lean more towards the supernatural when I was reading a lot of horror.
    I'm the same way. I'd say The Fog might do the trick; if not, The Survivor comes to mind.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Speaking of both the unexpurgated The Stand & Rick Hautala, the latter's friend Stephen Bissette noted in a memoriam on his blogsite that he had

turned up that complete, long-missing ms. for The Stand (published with much fanfare, sans even an acknowledgement or nod to you, damn it)
    I have no idea of the circumstrances surrouding that, but I know that Hautala, like King, lived in Maine, & if memory serves one reason I picked up that first novel of his (Moondeath; I misremembered the title last night) was a positive cover blurb by King.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

The Girl With the Long Green Heart by Lawrence Block

Secret Files of the Diogenes Club by Kim Newman

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I finished reading the Sara Paretsky novel Breakdown today.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams

I finished the Daniel Silva thriller The Fallen Angel.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Just dinished Nine dragons by Michael Connelly. It's the first book I read from this author, and I can understand why he's got such a good rep. Nice mystery, good action, and the plot twist at the end was genuinely surprising without feeling forced at all. Good stuff!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Just dinished Nine dragons by Michael Connelly. It's the first book I read from this author, and I can understand why he's got such a good rep. Nice mystery, good action, and the plot twist at the end was genuinely surprising without feeling forced at all. Good stuff!
    Every book he has written has been outstanding. If you read his Harry Bosch series, you should start at the beginning because the progression is well worth it.
    I'm on Twitter

Dodo: A Brief History by Errol Fuller

I finished the Rhys Bowen mystery Hush Now, Don't You Cry today.
    I'm on Twitter

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

The Jugger by Richard Stark

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Connie Willis' Black out, thanks to our local library that's just full of good stuff. My wife just finished it and loved it (as she loved a previous Willis book we read at the same time, fighting for the single copy we had, To say nothing of the dog.

I also started what I thought would be my second Michael Connelly book, The poet, but after a few pages I realized to my horror that I had already read it and had completely forgotten about it! Curse those addled brains!!!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

the xenophobe at 9o'clock divinebrown's Avatar

Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy. I'm pretty ambivalent about this novel and read it because I'm looking forward to the upcoming Netflix series being run by Eli Roth. There's only a paperback edition available and the author's blurb on the back mentions the upcoming series, so I wonder if the television pitch was in and approved before the novel was published. I'm not looking as forward to the Netflix series as much now. The book read like a more mature Twilight, and featured similar sorts of archetypal monsters. The characters were not really fleshed out so well, to the point where I had to keep looking back at which characters were which - and there were not that many characters to begin with. The ending is unsatisfying in its ambiguity and it seems like its planned out for a new novel in time for season two. The order of the words on the page was decent enough, and there were lots of clever phrases. I was looking for something more horrific and less mystery driven.