Page 112 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2109

The Host by the infamous Stephenie Meyer.

Loved the first third of the book. Really loved it, that was brilliant and very well written. The rest f**king bored me to tears.

You know, there is not a lot of things who can makes me angry but to see a good idea wasted is definitely one of them. This book could have been epic.

Stephenie, Stephenie...you always end up being disappointing.

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe

I've read hundreds of fanzines and prozines with thousands of interviews with creators. And I've read dozens of books covering largely the same subject matter. So it's, frankly, kind of hard to surprise me in a book like this. Moreover, it's gotten increasingly hard for someone to write such a book that I don't pick apart for some fairly blatant errors.

Howe managed to keep my interest with no problem whatsoever, not include any egregious errors (that I noticed) and put in a thing or three that I wasn't actually aware of before picking up the book. The new knowledge was largely concentrated in the very early days of Marvel (I wasn't super familiar with Martin Goodman's early life) and in the post-Shooter years (because I've never really been arsed to care) but they were there and that's a good thing.

One thing to the good is that I think Howe took a reasonably nonpartisan tack in the increasingly tedious Stan vs. Jack debate, which I greatly appreciated.

This probably isn't the book for everyone. But if you're interested in the popular culture of the last hundred years this is a good look at an important part of that little corner of our world.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I finished the Hank Phillippi Ryan thriller The Other Woman yesterday.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The mysterious Benedict society by Trenton Lee Stewart, what a nice surprise, it was an amazing read. I really think it would make a very good teen/young adult movie.

Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber, good solid book, interesting and entertaining.

Count Zero by William Gibson, it bored me but maybe it's just me having a cyberpunk overdose. Too much of it recently.

The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers, pleasant book, clearly not my favorite of Tim Powers but not bad.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, i watched the movie first and for being honest i wasn't impressed at all but the book ? F**king great. I have read this thing in less than 3 hours, i literally didn't stop reading until the end. Sometimes there is books that you just don't understand why it's successful but in this case it's well deserved. The whole thing with Rue made me almost cry, me, even "Grave of the Fireflies" didn't make me that sad. Wonderful read.
    Last edited by The Green Condom; 01-03-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe

I've read hundreds of fanzines and prozines with thousands of interviews with creators. And I've read dozens of books covering largely the same subject matter. So it's, frankly, kind of hard to surprise me in a book like this. Moreover, it's gotten increasingly hard for someone to write such a book that I don't pick apart for some fairly blatant errors.

Howe managed to keep my interest with no problem whatsoever, not include any egregious errors (that I noticed) and put in a thing or three that I wasn't actually aware of before picking up the book. The new knowledge was largely concentrated in the very early days of Marvel (I wasn't super familiar with Martin Goodman's early life) and in the post-Shooter years (because I've never really been arsed to care) but they were there and that's a good thing.

One thing to the good is that I think Howe took a reasonably nonpartisan tack in the increasingly tedious Stan vs. Jack debate, which I greatly appreciated.

This probably isn't the book for everyone. But if you're interested in the popular culture of the last hundred years this is a good look at an important part of that little corner of our world.
    Received it for Christmas but haven't started it yet but I'm excited to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
    Excellent book!

Close to done with Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. On the fence about this one.

Recently finished The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh. Good read.

Faust , both parts in one book by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe. I'm reading my second book by Goethe and reading this classic in top class Swedish translation. My first book of 2013 and i wanted an author and book important to me. So far its poetic, high language and written like it was an Ancient Greek epic poem and not 1800s play.

I want to focus this year on my fav classic authors. The year of old greats, other than Homer,Euripides, the other classic favs i will read are 1700s,1800s,early 1900s authors.
    Last edited by Libaax; 01-04-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Beautiful creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Sthol.

Yeah, a 4 hands book. Now, that's a well written book. I'm not going to say much about the story cause one of the cool thing about it is that during a good while you are just wondering what the hell is going on with that girl and her family.

Definitely worth the read.

Mars Attacks by Len Brown

Art book that reprints the original trading cards along with those that came afterward along with short notes by Len Brown about the genesis of the cards. There's a very nice afterward by Zina Saunders the daughter of painter Norm Saunders.

It's an art-book. The prose is sparse, but there's certainly some interesting stuff here. What's really amazing is the cultural impact the set had given the limited distribution of the set. Well worth a read and a lovely book at which to look.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Gun Machine by Warren Ellis. Burned out, obsessive Detective John Tallow, after his partner is killed in a shoot-out, finds an incredible cache of guns in a locked apartment, each gun tied to unsolved murders stretching back decades. The plot is fun and holds together nicely, but the real joy of the book is the flavor and the style.

After two weeks of immersion in florid epic fantasy, it was great to dip my toe into some lean, nasty neo-noir. I liked Ellis's last novel, Crooked Little Vein, but if you'd been following his comics work or his blog it wasn't really anything new or different. Gun Machine is better, it's still pretty damn Ellis-y in its quirkiness, but he's shaved off some of his older bad habits, he's not as obviously indulging his typical preoccupations the way he was before, and best of all there's a tightness to his prose that wasn't there in previous efforts. I'm tempted to compare this to Charlie Huston, although its more traditionally punctuated.
    Expletive Deleted

Evil Star by Anthony Horowitz.

Second book in the Power of five series. (apparently known as the gatekeepers in the US)

Excellent book, i bought the first book in the series really on a whim and not really for me but that's just freaking good stuff. Matt is very good main character and Pedro, the new guy, is a great addition to the story. And the bad guy is so creepy, just the way we love them. Good characters, good story, good writing style...i really don't see anything to complain about.

Let's face it, i'm a fan now. Can't wait to read the next 3 books.

Going through The Blood Angels Omnibus by James Swallow at the moment. It's a Warhammer 40,000 book for those who are unaware, and it's bloody violent. It really doesn't back down from it's gore. This is the first 40k book I've ever read and so far I'm enjoying it as for once, I don't think the unnatural graphic nature of the book detracts from the story. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it enhances the story, the characters and the universe itself. It helps that the pace of it gets broken up somewhat with the character development though as I'm not sure I could cope with it all on every page.

Night Rise by Anthony Horowitz.

Oh my god, the third book is even better than the second and the first. The author uses in this book some quite clever storytelling tricks.

Necropolis by Anthony Horowitz.

Loved the fact that a good part of the book is taking place in Hong Kong, a city i know pretty well, and the book certainly was pleasant to read.

Maybe a bit less interesting than the previous one. Oh and i absolutely loved Lohan, great character.
    Last edited by The Green Condom; 01-11-2013 at 11:56 AM.