Page 107 of 141 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2109

I finished Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood today. It was pretty much exactly what one expects from a video game tie in novel. Very one dimensional and simplistic. There have been tie in novels that have wowed me in the past, but this isn't one of them.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo. I missed it the first time around and read X-Rated Bloodsuckers first. Not that they are wholly sequential but do chronicle the adventures of a vampire private investigator. I have yet to read his remaining three novels.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

The Wine Dark Sea by Robert Aickman

A hailed weird,horror writer that have been really good so far in my experience. He is more literary than usual more popular weaker horror.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

I just finished A Vein of Deceit by Susanna Gregory. It's the 15th chronicle in the Matthew Bartholomew series. It is a mystery series set in 14th century Cambridge. Like the last few, it hasn't enthralled me as much as the first 10 or 11, but still good. This is a series that really does encourage a chronological reading as one develops an attachment to both the primary and secondary characters that inhabit its world.

Recommended for all Cadfael fans, and anyone who likes a well constructed period mystery with periodic hits of great humour.

The Simple Art of Murder by Raymond Chandler

I'd read the essay that headlines this collection a number of times. I actually agree with it quite a bit, though it comes off as self-serving for Chandler. Although he couches it in terms of Hammett, Chandler was a clear disciple of Hammett and the Black Mask school of writing. Self-serving or no, I'll take that school over the "cozy" mysteries that Chandler decries in the essay.

The rest of the short stories are the bulk of Chandler's short fiction that wasn't later cannibalized for the Marlowe novels. They're generally good short fiction in the Black Mask style, although I think Chandler shined through better in the longer form.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    The Simple Art of Murder by Raymond Chandler

I'd read the essay that headlines this collection a number of times. I actually agree with it quite a bit, though it comes off as self-serving for Chandler. Although he couches it in terms of Hammett, Chandler was a clear disciple of Hammett and the Black Mask school of writing. Self-serving or no, I'll take that school over the "cozy" mysteries that Chandler decries in the essay.

The rest of the short stories are the bulk of Chandler's short fiction that wasn't later cannibalized for the Marlowe novels. They're generally good short fiction in the Black Mask style, although I think Chandler shined through better in the longer form.
    I respected Chandler more when i read his comments about Hammett, he captured the style,bleak world view,themes of Hammett well. Sure i also prefer the hardboiled school over the cozy but still he could do convincing literary analyses.

I remember thinking years ago when i read Chandler short stories that i made a mistake focusing on those stories and that he is better in longer form and i say that as someone who sees his quality in that form without being big fan. Its clear he wasnt a 1920s PI author that lived on 20-30 pages hardboiled PI stories like Hammett and The OP.
    Pull List:

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Finished JJ Benitez's There Was Another Mankind. Although he presents a compelling case, he didn't convince me in the end.

Now reading The Black Book Of The Illuminati by Robert Goodman. I couldn't help but notice a few incongruities, not to mention some mistakes in the redaction. But in the end, it falls in line with pretty much everything I've read about that "group". Currently two chapters away from finishing it.
    Last edited by 666MasterOfPuppets; 10-29-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I finished the David Baldacci thriller The Innocent. Good read but I picked out one of the bad guys pretty easily.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Finished The Black Book Of The Illuminati. Another thing I noticed is that the author says the word "apparently" several times throughout the book. Although I understand that he wants to protect himself from mentioning documents that he hasn't read himself, that also tells me that he, possibly, didn't do his homework as he should have. Or perhaps his source isn't sure of their findings. Anyway, decent read in the end, given that I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett

By far my favorite of the Rincewind novels that I've read up to this point.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I finished reading the Ellen Hart novel Rest For The Wicked.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

One of Archard's Agents Amacent's Avatar

Recently started The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I know quite a lot of people don't view this book in a good light but its been a good read so far.

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.

Very fun and pleasant read. One of my best read of the year now that i think about it.

Im reading Watchmen for the first time because it has taken me few years to get past all the damaging hype from the superhero fans crowd. Now i can enjoy,analyze the story,comic in peace. So far early on im mostly impressed Roarscach inner thoughts, the surprisingly cool art by Gibbson that have aged well and better than his work in V for Vendetta for example.
    Pull List:

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Finished JJ Benitez's There Was Another Mankind. Although he presents a compelling case, he didn't convince me in the end.
    I can't find anything regarding that book on Google or Amazon... What is it about? Real science or Atlantis/Scientology/von Daniken nonsense?

The current and exciting genetic discoveries regarding Neanderthals, Denisovans and other unnamed human groups makes the title very topical!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog