Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I picked up Resolution a few weeks back, I enjoyed the first book in the Cole & Hitch series. Parker could scribe a fine Western too, a very impressive man.

I feel bad about Robert B. Parker gone . I like Jessie Stone books .Rest in Peace Robert B. Parker .

keeper of the dark darkkeeperjr's Avatar

How long before a Robert b parker's Spencer written by someone else be published?
    Making the world a brighter place,One house fire at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by darkkeeperjr View Post
    How long before a Robert b parker's Spencer written by someone else be published?
    This spring I believe.

Edit: May 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadhg View Post
    This spring I believe.

Edit: May 1st.
    I'm there! Hopefully it will be just as good as parker's Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by darkkeeperjr View Post
    I'm there! Hopefully it will be just as good as parker's Spencer.
    Spenser with an s, like the poet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Ace View Post
    Spenser with an s, like the poet.
    lol thanks. no matter how many times i read that line in the books, only now do i get it.

Just read the new Jesse Stone by the guy who worked on the TV movies. Worked pretty well. This Jesse is a touch more blood thirsty and ruthless than before but it was a good read.

Hope the Spenser's work out. The last was a bit light - too many pages of quips and Susan.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Just read the new Jesse Stone by the guy who worked on the TV movies. Worked pretty well. This Jesse is a touch more blood thirsty and ruthless than before but it was a good read.

Hope the Spenser's work out. The last was a bit light - too many pages of quips and Susan.

That sounds good .Then this is my list from now.thanks for sharin'
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

Animation & Illustration

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    I picked up Resolution a few weeks back, I enjoyed the first book in the Cole & Hitch series. Parker could scribe a fine Western too, a very impressive man.
    I enjoyed this series more than any of his earlier works. It's a damn shame they didn't come around until the end of his life, but at least the four books make a complete arc that wraps up nicely.

The film version of Appaloosa was a pretty faithful adaptation, so if you enjoyed that at all it's well worth reading the original novel, as well as picking up the three sequels that continue the tale of Cole & Hitch.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Thief and Archer

A buddy of mine who reviews mysteries read the new Spenser and was horribly disappointed.

Parker wrote what, 40 Spenser novels? Let 'em go. I wasn't crazy about a number of the Spenser novels but I would hate to see a pale imitation of Spenser.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, tonight is not just another show for us. Tonight is arena football at its finest. Thank you" - David Letterman

The last Spenser was written on autopilot. I think I said before, it was just mainly quips and posturing by Spenser. It introduced a new character who had little interest and very close to a stereotype. It wasn't supposed to be a stereotype native American but was.

Also, I have a hard time with beautiful Susan and Tough Guy Spenser as both of them are about 200 years old, if there is any time continuity.

Default Next Spenser

The first Spenser not written by Robert B. Parker is now being finished by Ace Atkins and is scheduled to be published on May 1, 2012.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

So I picked up Sixkill in paperback today. I haven't read it yet, but since it is the last book written by Parker before the books become Robert B. Parker's (insert title) by (insert name of another author), I was wondering if I should continue buying the books since it will obviously not be Parker's writing I'm reading from here on out.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Working through Lullaby, the first Spenser not by Parker.

Here's the problem set:

1. The book seems to be a setup for quips rather than the story. And some of them are pretty stupid. They are all about Spenser and Hawk in a narcissistic circle ahem about their abilities.

2. Spenser is getting too old. He needs a retcon. He is about 900 years old now and to be blunt a young trained person would take him apart. Fighting when you are old isn't fun anymore. Same with SuperHawk.

3. Susan - blah, blah - how many times do we have to hear she is so beautiful.

4. Spenser - I know old gun folks - get some new tech. Retro is stupid in a fighting profession. Ditch the 38 Chief's Special. Folks your age with modern handguns will shoot you full of holes while you futz around and run out of rounds. 38 snubbies are for BUGs. Listening to old jazz and carrying old guns makes you look like an old man.

Side note - so sick of detectives who moodily listen to jazz and drink scotch.

The plot - typical, no real plot twists.

There's no real development of the characters' personality. Stone novels show something about him. It's pretty clear that Spenser, Susan and Hawk are pretty stunted. No real families, kids or whatever. Really stuck in extended adolescene.
    Last edited by Captain Smith; 06-18-2012 at 12:39 PM.