Page 145 of 234 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3508

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's simple really.

Ultimate-MJ was a lot more like 616-Gwen while Ultimate Gwen was a lot more like 616-MJ. Now Movie-Gwen is Ultimate-MJ who is 616-Gwen. So Movie-MJ should be Ultimate-Gwen who is 616-MJ.
    I've never really been into the Spidey comics unfortunately [it was always just the cartoons for me growing up], so I'm not really sure of what the "classic" interpretations are for the characters, but how would you describe 616 MJ and 616 Gwen?

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeckBoy View Post
    I've never really been into the Spidey comics unfortunately [it was always just the cartoons for me growing up], so I'm not really sure of what the "classic" interpretations are for the characters, but how would you describe 616 MJ and 616 Gwen?
    616 Gwen = Sweet, innocent, perfect "Girl Next Door", Peter's "true love" (said mostly to emphasise the tragedy of her murder)

616 Mary Jane = Confident, rebellious, flirtatious, "Party girl"
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Like a lot of others I didn't have much interest in a Spider-Man reboot but after seeing the footage presented so far and the direction its going in I'm looking forward to it. Even though the marketing seems to be confused right now (the vibe I'm getting is how Norton's Hulk was presented) the humor, youth and overall character of Peter Parker seems to be in good form. There's a lot of scenes with him without his mask and Lizard looks too computer animated but the tone seems right. I have a feeling that this film could make fans look back on Raimi's movies the same way fans of Bats look at Batman Forever and Batman & Robin (especially SM3).

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's the 4 minutes of footage released:

So you like the change to the origin?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mike View Post
    616 Gwen = Sweet, innocent, perfect "Girl Next Door", Peter's "true love" (said mostly to emphasise the tragedy of her murder)

616 Mary Jane = Confident, rebellious, flirtatious, "Party girl"
    Interesting. Thanks for the clarification!

This is going to sound pretty bad considering I'm on the Spider-Man part of CBR but I wasn't even aware they changed the origin. To be honest I'm more of a Batman fan and have been closely monitoring that movie's development over this one. After reading about the change it looks like they're putting more emphasis on his parents then Uncle Ben. It seems as if after decades of the same origin (and also since it's already been presented in Raimi's films not too long ago) they decided to switch it up a bit which explains the whole serum thing. Do you think that'll detract from him as a character or make him different in the same way that Bruce Wayne would be if his parents weren't killed in front of him? I kind of like that they're trying something new (as long as it works) but at the same time it can alienate long time fans of the comics.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

I like Webb's passion but he essentially says "creative and new" twice in this two minute video and also claims it doesn't feel "corporate."
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

You know, not to digress but Ultimate Gwen really isn't all that much like 616 MJ. Nothing in USM is like 616 MJ. Part of that is the inconsistency with the way MJ has been portrayed over the years, though.

Back to the movie, it does look like overall we will be seeing a close proximity to the 616 Gwen. Which is a nice thing. But also, if so, I really hope her dad dies and then she dies. We really haven't seen anything similar to the death of the Stacys in a Spider-Man movie yet, and its a crucial part of the lore.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

One thing I noticed quite a bit in that 4 minute preview was the first person swinging sequences. That'll either be cool or nausea inducing in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    You know, not to digress but Ultimate Gwen really isn't all that much like 616 MJ. Nothing in USM is like 616 MJ. Part of that is the inconsistency with the way MJ has been portrayed over the years, though.
    616-MJ is a really hard character to nail down because her position within the franchise changed a lot from what she was originally supposed to be. She was introduced as a blind date that Peter kept avoiding for over two years (in between the first mention of MJ and her actual introduction, we met Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn). Then she was "the other woman" in between the obviously planned Peter/Gwen relationship. Then the order came from on high to kill a character and Gwen was shoved off a bridge. And MJ became positioned as Peter's best friend and later romantic interest. Peter and MJ had a break-up and then MJ came back and told Peter she knew he was Spidey. And they didn't actually get together immediately after. Peter was with Black Cat at the time but that came to an end. And then the wedding to MJ. And then... well...

The whole story of how MJ became "THE love interest" is one of the most interesting parts of the Spider-Man story. But a lot of people don't know what to make of it because the Peter/MJ relationship is kind of all over the place.

Back to the movie, it does look like overall we will be seeing a close proximity to the 616 Gwen. Which is a nice thing. But also, if so, I really hope her dad dies and then she dies. We really haven't seen anything similar to the death of the Stacys in a Spider-Man movie yet, and its a crucial part of the lore.
    The Stacys do tend to get the short-end of the stick when Spider-Man is adapted.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

I like Webb's passion but he essentially says "creative and new" twice in this two minute video and also claims it doesn't feel "corporate."
    After creating Ghost Rider back in the 70s nothing else came truly new in storytelling, everything comes as one cliche after another
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz Abbasi View Post
    After creating Ghost Rider back in the 70s nothing else came truly new in storytelling, everything comes as one cliche after another
    Nothing says "corporate" more than an entertainment franchise worth billions of dollars. And then claiming it doesn't feel "corporate."

My Facebook page

I hope the early Emo-Kid vibes Sony put out with Peter Parker don't hurt this movie.

On a personally the 4 minute preview and latest trailer have really given me high hopes for this movie. I still don't like the idea of Gwenn knowing and I doubt gwen dies in this series unless it happens in the middle or beginning of one of the movies. Spiderman turning down MJ at the end of the first movie angered a people who I had guessed, from overhearing previous conversations, didn't follow spidey too much. These type of films don't like to end on morbid notes.

Since so many people know who Mary Jane is though, it could be handled in a way that portrays time passing and Aunt may introducing Pete and MJ on their first blind date
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER

Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    I hope the early Emo-Kid vibes Sony put out with Peter Parker don't hurt this movie.
    It shouldn't hurt with movies like Donnie Darko having good reception, heck, emo Peter should bring him as more down to Earth, cause that is one of the things that made Peter Parker a golden character
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz Abbasi View Post
    It shouldn't hurt with movies like Donnie Darko having good reception, heck, emo Peter should bring him as more down to Earth, cause that is one of the things that made Peter Parker a golden character
    Donnie Darko wasn't marketed as a cliche', in fact it wasn't marketed adding more cult appeal
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER