Default Tilting at Windmills v3 #21: The Future's So Bright

Now that the message board are back up, here's a proper thread for it.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24429

-B

Excellent post on Digital Comics, but I think it attempts answer some questions that could be answered in a different way.

Apple device that everyone is waiting for as the Game Changer to be in the $800 range. That’s a lot of scratch for something just to read on.
    Now remember, iPhones, without a contract, list for $700. Sounds pretty extreme when you can get cell phones for free from most carriers, right? What helps is that carriers offer you discounts for signing up for a service plan. A similar thing might occur with the iTablet (as some carriers have given away FREE netbooks for signing up for the data plans.)

So, if we were able to get the iTablet for say, $400 with a 2 year committment to Verizon, but it allows us to save 50% on our monthly comic costs AND lets us do all sorts of cool other things (which seems to be driving iPhone sales) then it starts to look a little more reasonable.

So, let's not let price be a showstopper just yet.

Books never run out of batteries!
    Yeah, but when you finish that issue or book while waiting at the airport, you are sort of left with nothing else to read aren't you? And battery life can increase as technology gets better. I don't think book technology can benefit from Moore's law in quite the same way as iTablets will.

As to your point about the scarcity of data to support growing digital book/comic sales, yeah, I'm with you on that. I wish we had more information about that.

Once the content is there, I'm prepared to jump onto tablet technology (but with something cheaper like Asus' sub-$500 tablet netbook). And, this is not $500 for an eBook reader. This is $500 for a portable computer that allows me to surf the web or check e-mail or edit photos or play movies/music on top of reading any book I want anywhere I want.

While I agree that books are pretty much perfect to read on, you do have the problem of storing them. I'm not a huge reader and I've only been "collecting" comics for about 6 years, but I already need to find space for four long boxes and two bookshelves of TPBs. If I could get digital comics for less than physical copies, and I could store them all in a tiny device (or subscribe to a monthly service for unlimited access), I'd be extremely happy. But, like I said, I enjoy books. I would continue buying collections of the things that I enjoy, just like I do when reading webcomics.

Writer and Artist Guy

Brian, a quick note on this comment you made:

Part of the problem, to me, with digital books and comics is there’s really no evidence whatsoever that they’re succeeding in any real way. Generally speaking when one has a success, especially in “emerging” fields, one sends out press releases about those successes. These are vanishingly few for eBooks.

The International Digital Publishing Forum (idpf.org) has been tracking ebook sales since 2002. While I agree it's only a small segment, the growth in ebook sales is pretty noticeable. Take a peek at http://www.idpf.org/doc_library/industrystats.htm

There are quite a few caveats to the data (much like Bookscan numbers), but it's still fascinating to look at.

Default Retailing in the Digital Age comic con 2010

I was at the Retailing in the digital age meeting at the 2010 comic con. Jim lee was there with reps from DC and MARVEL and the president of COMIXOLOGY. It sounds like they touched on the same things they did before so maybe this is what you were saying they needed more follow up. Even 6 months after they seem like they don't know whats going on. I would like to see digital downloads in the comics like they do for blu-ray movies. Have a download code or something. Maybe charge a extra dollar for that issue? i'm just saying this whole thing i believe could be easy to figure out. Don't try to make it a seperate market. "collectors" want to collect the book and read it without opening it. this will give you that option. trying to charge 2 bucks for something they already have or can get for free on torrents could be just a small "tax" to get the comic digitally with transitional panels. Thank you.

Companies like Marvel have had digital comics available for quite some time, e-reader or not. There are a lot of people with Ipads and Iphones, and i haven't really seen the digital market take off.

It will, but i feel comics are still considered by many, a collectable serial publication. Once comics are readily available, in digital form, it runs the risk that so many other digital mediums do. Piracy.

The thing is, even if readers and tablets become more affordable, the digital copies of books still cost, in some cases just as much as the hard print counterpart.

Its good in that it will get a section of fans that may not ever pick up a hard print comic, and it will likely lower comic production costs for companies scaling back on hard print.

Tablets just aren't that reasonably priced.

Even with more and more carriers offering tablets, the majority still haven't subsidized pricing on their various tablets. Tablets and Smartphones are very similar, and look at how cell phones didn't really take off until they were made more affordable with signing contracts and handset pricing being subsidized.

The iPad for example is actually more expensive for a 3G model. Cell carriers missed the boat big time not pushing for devices like this to be contracted, and priced lower.

The digital comic market is coming, and i actually think it's win win for comic manufacturers and fans. Trade sales increasing, illustrate fans desire to get the content. I don't see hard print suffering too much. I would say this is similar to the DVD/Blu-Ray market. As far as content, strictly content goes, digital comics would be the absolute best way to go. The same is true for movies, tv shows and such. But even with the advent of digital copy, and straight to pc downloads, the DVD market and Blu-ray market hasn't been rendered obsolete.

Digital comics will only benefit the market, once there is a quick, and inexpensive way to get content more availible.