View Poll Results: Did Longshot Rape Dazzler?

Voters
164. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • No, she consented.

93 56.71%
  • There's no way she could have consented in those circumstances.

48 29.27%
  • She was raped but it's a comic so it's all in good fun.

23 14.02%
  • I agree with Andrea Dworkin, "all heterosexual sex is rape."

30 18.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Did Longshot Rape Dazzler?

I wasn't going to create this thread but someone needs to speak out against rape.

After years of being trapped in a marriage none of us could stand/understand, Dazzler finally got away from him. She got away from his womanizing and those pheremones that continually undermined her will. Unfortunately, old restraining orders and anti-harassment statutes seem to be void on Utopia. Dazzler had been safe in San Francisco due to California's hard-core anti-stalking laws, but under the dictatorship of Cyclops and his concubine Emma Frost, sex crimes appear to be on the rise.

Admittedly, Longshot comes from a culture of reality television where using one's powers in a sexually forward way is the way things are done to enhance ratings (for example, note how his compatriot Shatterstar initiates every social encounter by grabbing a person and making out with them). Nevertheless, should the 616 reality tolerate sexual assault in the name of multiculturalism?

Longshot apologists will point to Dazzler's satisfaction in the images I posted and say, "you can't rape the willing." As a matter of fact, you can if you've undermined her will. Note how Dazzler resists his sexual come-on until he manifests his power signature?

There's precedent in prosecuting this kind of crime as Dan Slott has shown us in the case of New York State v. Starfox. Starfox, too, seems to come from a society that has very little rape awareness.

These kinds of crimes can be difficult to prosecute under even normal circumstances as few women are willing to come forward to admit they have been violated by serial offenders like Longshot.

Despite the lack of cooperation and the blatant abuse of the justice system evidenced above, it should be noted that Captain American, Tigra, Hank Pym, Captain Marvel/Photon and Wasp all refused to testify in Starfox's defense as they themselves had issues with the way he used his eroticism abilities to undermine the will of his victims.

Even Starfox's own defense attorney turned against him when she discovered that he had suborned her will as well.

For the victim, it doesn't matter if the abuse is inadvertent. Intention doesn't matter in these cases - consequences do. Starfox was eventually acquitted when it discovered that the crime in question had been perpetrated by his brother Thanos in disguise. Does Longshot have any such excuse? Not even Siryn, despite her code-name, uses her erotic powers to gain sexual favors. The question you have to ask yourself is do you condone rape if it's presented in a light comedic, X-Factorian, manner, or will you speak out against sexual assault?
    Last edited by darknessatnoon; 01-10-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Yes. It's disgusting. Look at that sick grin.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

BANNED

Absolutely disgusting.

Longshot is so dreamy.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Dazzler is just desperate because everyone hates her unless she drugs them into liking her.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Egotistical Meglomaniac TJKernan's Avatar

There are no laws against raping wallpaper in the Marvel Universe (I think).

Especially old, trashy wallpaper...
    Bring back my DC! In the meantime, make mine Marvel and Image!

You know his power can only work when he's using it for noble purposes, right? I highly doubt that Rape counts. Heck, Sinister was able to zap him good when he was trying to look braver than he was in "Inferno".

It's clear he raped her. The grin, the glimmer in his eye proving he used his powers, he is disgusting.
    Psylocke

This thread's all just a buncha playa hatin', thas all.
    Respect should be given until it deserves to be withheld; Trust is earned.

BANNED

You still haven't shown that Longshot deliberately used his powers to suborn her will. Longshot's power is "always on", he can neither deliberaty use it or turn it off. That's why Dazzler left him the first time, and as he said then and later, if he could have turned it off and kept her, he would have.

Alison knows what he can do and knows how to walk away from it. She's walked away before. You're trying to say that she's weaker-willed now than she was earlier? I don't buy it. If she didn't walk away, she didn't truly intend to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by RuggeSkin View Post
    You know his power can only work when he's using it for noble purposes, right? I highly doubt that Rape counts. Heck, Sinister was able to zap him good when he was trying to look braver than he was in "Inferno".
    Good point. I believe this statement proves that she wanted it. Thus, his powers worked in order to gratify Alison's desire.
    Respect should be given until it deserves to be withheld; Trust is earned.

can't someone just get rid of this guy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crabby Lioness View Post
    You still haven't shown that Longshot deliberately used his powers to suborn her will. Longshot's power is "always on", he can neither deliberaty use it or turn it off. That's why Dazzler left him the first time, and as he said then and later, if he could have turned it off and kept her, he would have.
    On this matter, the courts rule consequentially and not based on intention.

I have always been Dazzler's most vocal fan, but now this issue has come out I am going to travel two months back in time and inexplicably start supporting her sister instead.

Why haven't Longshot and Rachel been paired up yet? They're perfect for each other!