Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Blake Lively joins "Green Lantern"

Actress Blake Lively of "Gossip Girl" and "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" will join the cast as Carol Ferris. Lively joins actor Ryan Reynolds on the film, which is expected to begin shooting in March for a 2011 release.

Full article here.

Too young!
    its Superman returns all over again

I did not see this coming.

I would like to think they are considering what these actors can do for the characters and not the other way around. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds are good thespians but, in my mind, I never saw them as Carol Ferris or Hal Jordan respectively.

But, I am in the mood for surprises so I will wait until the trailer at least before developing concrete judgments. It's just hard to picture Lively as anything other than a teenager because of her two major roles thus far. Not the determined, woman-in-the-work-place boss of an airfield.
    Last edited by Mundungus; 01-09-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Blake, if you quit Gossip Girl, I WILL FLIP

Well, she's super hot so that's a good thing, but I can't help thinking she's gonna look way to young sharing scenes with Ryan Reynolds who's gotta be at least 10 years older than her. That's a visible age difference no matter what they do and I think it will change the dynamic between Hal & Carol who are supposed to be the same age.

I'll reserve judgement for now as from what I've seen she's a good actress, but I'm not to sure about a girl best known for playing high school students taking on the no nonsense businesswoman Carol Ferris.

I don't know. She looks older than 23 and he looks younger than 34, so they will meet somewhere closer to the middle. And their youth in the first film will sustain aging in subsequent films if the first one goes over.

I don't think age will be a problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightestDay View Post
    I'll reserve judgement for now as from what I've seen she's a good actress, but I'm not to sure about a girl best known for playing high school students taking on the no nonsense businesswoman Carol Ferris.
    Well, it is an origin movie so she may not yet be non-nonsense businesswoman Carol Ferris. Or more likely, getting to that point will be her journey through the film's story. If so, age might not matter so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I don't know. She looks older than 23 and he looks younger than 34, so they will meet somewhere closer to the middle. And their youth in the first film will sustain aging in subsequent films if the first one goes over.

I don't think age will be a problem here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Well, it is an origin movie so she may not yet be non-nonsense businesswoman Carol Ferris. Or more likely, getting to that point will be her journey through the film's story. If so, age might not matter so much.
    Both good points and I hate to be pessimistic. It's just that GL and Captain America are the last of my favorite comics characters to get the big screen treatment and I really want both films to be great. A bad casting can really taint my enjoyment of these movies (see Kirsten Dunst and to a lesser extent Tobey Maguire in the Spider-Man movies) and I'd hate to see that happen with another one of my faves.

Overall though I'm pleased with the choices that have been made with this movie so far and I'm very excited. The more I think about it, I doubt they would have cast Blake if they didn't think she could pull it off.

And to end on a totally shallow note, I bet she'll look great with black hair.

I think Reynolds was a good choice but Blake Lively ? Why ? She would have been my last pick of the 5 choices for Carol. I saw her in Accepted and nothing about that performance made me think she can pull off Carol Ferris. She might surprise everyone, but she wouldn't have been my first pick.

And to end on a totally shallow note, I bet she'll look great with black hair.
    Not shallow enough... how about how she'll look as a Star Sapphire?

Oh my god. I already love Blake Lively.
    Now I can love her from a nerdy perspective too.
    You were the one who laughed… that scary laugh of yours…
    'Sure we’re criminals,' you said. 'We’ve always been criminals.
    We have to be criminals.'

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
    Not shallow enough... how about how she'll look as a Star Sapphire?
    LOL. Honestly, I think anything that shows off her legs goes in the win column.

LOL. Honestly, I think anything that shows off her legs goes in the win column.
    This thread is fail without pictures.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar

What, not Jennifer Connelly? Granted she's six years older than Reynolds, but that's not a HUGE difference, and she actually looks the part.

Gah.
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

Worst casting since Maggie Gyllanhaal in Dark Knight.