Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What Happened to Jackie Chan?

I just saw the preview for some stupid kiddie movie he's going to be in that looks like that crap movie the Pacifier.

What happened? Is he having a hard time finding work or something? I know that he said some nasty shit about the Rush Hour films and that he only did them for the huge paycheck, but has he really sunk that low? I can't even remember the last good American movie he did.

BANNED

His career seems to have entered a bit of a tail spin really darling. Which is a shame really, I really liked a lot of his films. How the mighty have fallen seems appropriate here

Jackie Chan is in the new Karate Kid movie and he is playing the Mr Miyagi character (as Mr Han) and that looks like it will be fairly good.

Jackie Chan is past his peak as a martial arts star but he still has something to contribute as he is probably the biggest living Asian martial arts movie icon. Only the late Bruce Lee overshadows Jackie in terms of fame and he has been dead since 1973 while Jackie has been making movies and earning millions since then.
    Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfreeman View Post
    I just saw the preview for some stupid kiddie movie he's going to be in that looks like that crap movie the Pacifier.

What happened? Is he having a hard time finding work or something? I know that he said some nasty shit about the Rush Hour films and that he only did them for the huge paycheck, but has he really sunk that low? I can't even remember the last good American movie he did.
    Forbidden Kingdom was awesome. Don't you deny it.

And personally I was quite impressed by what I saw of him in the trailer for the Karate Kid remake.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    Forbidden Kingdom was awesome. Don't you deny it.

And personally I was quite impressed by what I saw of him in the trailer for the Karate Kid remake.
    Wow, I completely forgot the Forbidden Kingdom. Minus Michael Angerrona or whatever his name is, it was a good movie.

New Karate Kid Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMsZM-MNI1A

Some think it looks AWESOME
    others say its Crap!

but all i have to say is

Harald Zwart has made only 2 good movies in his entire life.. and the last good one was 10 years ago (almost)

BANNED

The Karate Kid: Teaching us that strange old men who spend all their time with little boys have only the best of intentions

He's made some very unpopular comments that have caused controversy among his global Asian fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester C. View Post
    He's made some very unpopular comments that have caused controversy among his global Asian fanbase.
    what did he say?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid2 View Post
    what did he say?
    Yeah, I'm kind of curious here too, I hadn't heard anything about this

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid2 View Post
    what did he say?
    He's basically become a prop for the Chinese government by saying things like it's bad for the Chinese people to have too much freedom other Chinese Nationalistic comments. The problem is that he's going from the ultimate global star to the ultimate Chinese star and countries like Taiwan and South Korea are very upset and some places are even banning his movies.

What I don't get is why people are surprised. Anyone that read his book or seen him in movies should know that Chan as has been prochinese government and in lockstep with their agenda such as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by FeminineMystique View Post
    Yeah, I'm kind of curious here too, I hadn't heard anything about this
    Here is a souce to show I'm not making this stuff up...not that has stopped me before! And it's a real article not an attention whore thing that I would pull in another thread.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ontrolled.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lester C. View Post
    Basically, back in April of 2009, Jackie publicly stated that China is not ready for full-on Western democracy. Here is an excerpt of what he said:

The 55-year-old star of "Rush Hour" said at a business forum in the southern Chinese island province Hainan on Saturday that a free society may not be beneficial for authoritarian mainland China.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said at the Boao Forum. "If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

Chan added, "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."
    Chan's comments drew applause from his audience of mainly business leaders in Hainan on Saturday, but prompted fierce criticism from lawmakers in Taiwan and his hometown Hong Kong on Sunday.
    The full article can be seen here:
    http://www.theinsider.com/news/20459...rompt_backlash

Personally, I believe that the comment was paritially politcally motivated. While I was in China this past summer, Jackie is still very popular. Saw him in a lot of tv ads and billboards. However, a friend told me that his popularity and fame in China hinges very much on the relations he has with the Communist party. If he were to say anything against the CCP or the Mainland, his films can easily be pulled from theaters and store shelves and the government would impose tough penalities on companies who do business with him.

At the same time, the very nature of the comment, whether China should be "more free" or not, is a very complex matter. Even those raised in overseas Chinese communities, like my father, who everyday were told to "counterattack the Mainland" and "liberate China from the Communist bandits," cannot say that Mainland China is ready to have a Western democracy. As for me.............................I really don't know.

Now, as for Jackie's movie about him being a nanny, well, yeah it definitely looks like a version of Vin Diesel's "The Pacifier." Indeed, I think that Jackie originally was going to be in that particular movie. It is somewhat disheartening to see Jackie, who has ruled Asian cinema for decades, relegated to films like this, especially since he's no longer in his prime and the chance for him to become a major player in Western cinema becomes smaller.
    "I am a man of peace."
    "A man of peace who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackieChan
    "I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said at the Boao Forum. "If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."
    Well, won't be going to see any of his films ever again.

No Jackie, there's not such a thing as being "Too free". But hey, if you want to live in a dictatorship, be my guest *Eye roll* Personally I say chaos is better than control any day of the week. Chaos is FUN

I'm now suddenly very pleased that Chan's career is crashing and burning
    Last edited by FeminineMystique; 01-04-2010 at 07:15 AM.

While I get the controversy here, I think the biggest reason he'd be doing a stupid kiddie movie is that he got old. He can't do what he used to do.