Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: CBR's Top 100 Comics of 2009, #25 - 1

We've reached the finish line in CBR's race to nail down the top 100 comics of 2009! Dive in to see whether your favorite books made the cut for slots #25 through 1 check out our pick for the top comic of the year!

Full article here.

Like most comic fans, I haven’t read any of the indies that are so disproportionately represented on your list, so I can’t argue that they are unworthy. But no Abnett and Laning titles on a list of 100? C’mon, are you serious? And “Amazing Spider-Man” makes the top 25? There have been some good stories in “Amazing,” but the premise has become tiresome. Marvel refuses to let Peter Parker grow up. Scientific genius Peter Parker still doesn’t have a career. Spider-Man only joins the Avengers when he can join a renegade team who are not receiving a stipend from Tony Stark or the government. I predict that Spidey will leave the Avengers if they go back to their usual status quo of having a deep pockets sponsor. We wouldn’t want Peter Parker to get his hands on any money, would we? Peter Parker is almost Peter Pan except that Parker has been getting a lot more sex lately.

Quote Originally Posted by invasionforce View Post
    But no Abnett and Lanning titles on a list of 100?
    That one really surprises me. The CSBG bloggers -- who I thought were a significant part of the judging panel -- really like that team.

Happy new year! As always, a fun and provocative list from the fine folks at CBR!

I found myself agreeing with the 24 selections that I've already read and 8 more that I've picked up and am excited to read. I even ended up with another 8 things that I'm anxious to track down.

There were a couple handfuls of titles that I flat out disagreed with. One of them is Final Crisis. The story just seemed a mangled mess by the end. The number of "best of" lists it ends up on just leaves me scratching my head.

There are several other titles that should be on a 2009 best of list:

* Echo -- Terry Moore's sci fi adventure-mystery has the same great art and human touches as Strangers in Paradise.

* The Sword -- I always love the Luna brothers stories. This is the best revenge story since Kill Bill.

* Kick-Ass -- Mark Millar and John Romita Jr combine perfectly to provide a great visceral kick in the gut every issue by keeping the stories small rather than "epic."

* Madman Atomic Comics -- Michael Allred out did himself on the most recent run of this title, which wrapped up mid-year. With the help of Laura Allred on colors, it was not only one of the most fun and visually striking reads, but constantly experimental.

* Northlanders -- Brian Wood and his collaborators produced some very powerful and moving stories this year.

* Proof -- On the basis of the Julia story arc alone, this title from Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo should make the list.

* Wonderful Wizard of Oz -- I think this adaptation by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young absolutely nailed it! I'm glad they continued on with the Marvelous Land of Oz.

* Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 -- I can't believe that David Peterson's title was left off the list; even if only the last couple issues came out in 2009.

* Daredevil -- I think there should have been a spot for Ed Brubaker's final issues and Andy Diggle's great start.

* Thor -- I also think there should have been a spot for J. Michael Straczynski's final issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DR. A View Post

* Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 -- I can't believe that David Peterson's title was left off the list; even if only the last couple issues came out in 2009.

* Daredevil -- I think there should have been a spot for Ed Brubaker's final issues and Andy Diggle's great start.
    I'm pretty poorly read on newer comics, but the disinclusion of Mouse Guard is surprising. And I haven't read Diggle's work but I recently sat down to read through Brubaker's entire run and it was impressive.

So I certainly agree.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by DR. A View Post
    \* Daredevil -- I think there should have been a spot for Ed Brubaker's final issues and Andy Diggle's great start.
    Definitely.

I'm happy that Scalped, Chew, and Detective made the top 5. They have been some of the best things I've read all year.

This would be my top 10 as of this moment:

1. Chew
    2. Sweet Tooth
    3. Green Lantern
    4. Detective Comics
    5. Scalped
    6. Batman & Robin
    7. Invincible Iron Man
    8. Amazing Spider-Man
    9. Green Lantern Corps
    10. Dark Avengers

Honorable Mention - Adventure Comics & Haunt
    Last edited by Quaker; 01-01-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    University of Penn Student. Go Quakers! Pull List: Saga, Batman, Danger Clubl, Amazing Spider-Man, Action Comics, Daredevil, and Hawkeye Limited Series Books: AvX & Spider-Men

So some obscure indie title tops such a list. Colour me shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Nort View Post
    That one really surprises me. The CSBG bloggers -- who I thought were a significant part of the judging panel -- really like that team.
    I believe only a few of the CSBG staff were part of the panel. A few of the blog staff from Robot6 also contributed.

Most of the panel was CBR main site's reviewers and contributors.

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    So some obscure indie title tops such a list. Colour me shocked.
    Indie, yes (in that it is not published by one of four companies). I would call it the opposite of obscure. It's spotlighted at my local store and I hear word-of-mouth reviews that are exceedingly positive from everywhere. And it keeps getting pointed to as a great comic on the internet.

Plus it's by David Mazzucchelli. And I'm not certain the artist of Born Again and Year One( which took two of the top 5 spots respectively in a recent CSBG poll on the favorite stories of some 700 people) counts as obscure.

Please explain your use of the word obscure in this context. Because I'm confused.
    formerly coke & comics

I'm guessing 'obscure' means no punching with buildings or gore or zombies.
    Just a guess, though.

How is Rex Mundi not on the list? It's one of the best comics of the last decade, and the last four issues that came out this year were brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    I believe only a few of the CSBG staff were part of the panel. A few of the blog staff from Robot6 also contributed.

Most of the panel was CBR main site's reviewers and contributors.
    I have to admit I tend to mix that up because I never, ever look at the official CBR main site.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Nort View Post
    I have to admit I tend to mix that up because I never, ever look at the official CBR main site.
    Strangely enough, reading CBR was part of my regular routine for years. Until I started posting on the forums. And now just tend to look at the forums and CSBG. They having left me no time for all the comic article reading I used to do.
    formerly coke & comics

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

I'm so happy to see Phonogram on the list and placed so high. Overall I agree with or see how titles made the list and their places. I liked that it wasn't every book Marvel and DC publishes in their super hero line with some indie books tossed in to look like they covered all the bases. It really seems like it's a legitimate list of the best books of the year. And I learned of a few titles I'm going to check out now.
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

Great list, except Adventure Comics and Thor were more than deserving of a spot. And Daytripper if it had more than one issue.