Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ShaunN

Default Just saw "Iron Man: - and Tony Stark does sleep with his employees!

Dear Friends,

OK, this thread may sound a bit weird, and it may also sound like "I told you so" which is not my intent. To explain:

Several months ago (more than a year - maybe two years?) there was a thread on this board discussing the new "Iron Man" movie. On that thread, I made the comment that the scene with Tony and Rhodey on the jet was a bit disturbing, since it was pretty obvious that Tony was sleeping with the flight attendants/strippers that were in his employ. At the time, a number of people rejected this argument - evidently, they did not find this point as obvious as I did.

I made the point because I thought it was indicative of a major character flaw in Stark that was more than just "he's a bad boy" - wink, wink, nudge, nudge. - i.e., the fact that he was clearly willing to employ women as his own personal prostitutes and that that kind of expectation would certainly constitute a really hostile environment to any flight attendant on Stark's personal plane who did not want to sleep with him. Being a flight attendant in Stark's employ obviously involved being sexually available to the boss.

As I recall, someone made the argument that Stark would not sleep with his employees, or put them in such a coercive environment, because he understood his limits and the dangers involved.

Well, I just watched the "Iron Man" DVD and viewed the extended scenes. There is a long extended scene on the plane. In that scene, Stark leaves to have sex with one of the stewardesses and the other two proposition Rhodey. It's pretty obvious that this is one of their job requirements. They are not objecting, mind you, but that point gets back to the earlier issue of "hostile environments."

Anyway, just thought I'd send that out there. I admit that it's kind of nice to be proved right, but it's also an interesting comment on the character and his overall relationships with women and his employees.

I would have put this in the "morals from movies" thread, but I'm not sure an extended/deleted scene counts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Dear Friends,

OK, this thread may sound a bit weird, and it may also sound like "I told you so" which is not my intent. To explain:

Several months ago (more than a year - maybe two years?) there was a thread on this board discussing the new "Iron Man" movie. On that thread, I made the comment that the scene with Tony and Rhodey on the jet was a bit disturbing, since it was pretty obvious that Tony was sleeping with the flight attendants/strippers that were in his employ. At the time, a number of people rejected this argument - evidently, they did not find this point as obvious as I did.

I made the point because I thought it was indicative of a major character flaw in Stark that was more than just "he's a bad boy" - wink, wink, nudge, nudge. - i.e., the fact that he was clearly willing to employ women as his own personal prostitutes and that that kind of expectation would certainly constitute a really hostile environment to any flight attendant on Stark's personal plane who did not want to sleep with him. Being a flight attendant in Stark's employ obviously involved being sexually available to the boss.

As I recall, someone made the argument that Stark would not sleep with his employees, or put them in such a coercive environment, because he understood his limits and the dangers involved.

Well, I just watched the "Iron Man" DVD and viewed the extended scenes. There is a long extended scene on the plane. In that scene, Stark leaves to have sex with one of the stewardesses and the other two proposition Rhodey. It's pretty obvious that this is one of their job requirements. They are not objecting, mind you, but that point gets back to the earlier issue of "hostile environments."

Anyway, just thought I'd send that out there. I admit that it's kind of nice to be proved right, but it's also an interesting comment on the character and his overall relationships with women and his employees.

I would have put this in the "morals from movies" thread, but I'm not sure an extended/deleted scene counts.
    I think, really and truly, for this arguement to work you have to prove that the flight attendants have no choice...its sleep with these two guys or lose their jobs. Both Stark and Rhodes ARE very attractive. Maybe they just want to? Unless there's a scene where Stark flat out tells them "You either sleep with us or I fire you" there's not really anything morally wrong here. Did Stark hire them so he could sleep with them? Probably. And while that might be a little shallow, and fairly sexist, unless he actually won't employ someone unless they sleep with him it's not really harrassment or a "Hostile enviroment". If everyones consenting, its not that big of a deal.

It's not like we didn't know he sleeps around and they're all consenting adults. If he didn't force them, it isn't wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    It's not like we didn't know he sleeps around and they're all consenting adults. If he didn't force them, it isn't wrong.
    Exactly. Sleeping with his employees isn't wrong. Forcing them to sleep with him, either through violence, drugs or threats of terminating their employment that would be very wrong. But we didn't see him do that. And, while Stark is a womaniser, I don't think he's THAT bad. A bit of a jerk yes. Arrogant? Without a doubt. Possibly slightly nuts? Yeah. But he's not a COMPLETE tool

Quote Originally Posted by FeminineMystique View Post
    Exactly. Sleeping with his employees isn't wrong. Forcing them to sleep with him, either through violence, drugs or threats of terminating their employment that would be very wrong. But we didn't see him do that. And, while Stark is a womaniser, I don't think he's THAT bad. A bit of a jerk yes. Arrogant? Without a doubt. Possibly slightly nuts? Yeah. But he's not a COMPLETE tool
    Ehn, I'm not a big believer of someone dipping their pen in the company ink, so to speak... just because of potential fallout. So, imo, I wouldn't exactly call it 'right'. But different strokes and all that.
    "I am not only the Queen of Heaven, but also the Mother of Mercy."
    -Our Lady to Saint Faustina

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    Ehn, I'm not a big believer of someone dipping their pen in the company ink, so to speak... just because of potential fallout. So, imo, I wouldn't exactly call it 'right'. But different strokes and all that.
    Not the smartest idea maybe darling, I'll agree with you there...it can go VERY badly wrong. But I meant that, legally and "Morally" if you like, there's nothing wrong with it.

His Name Is The Captain

I suspect that this was meant to be one of those "Look at how hot he is, his employees want to have sex with him!" deals that sadly doesn't look that good in practice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Svensson View Post
    I suspect that this was meant to be one of those "Look at how hot he is, his employees want to have sex with him!" deals that sadly doesn't look that good in practice.
    I thought Downey was more "Cute" than hot in the film personally...he had a kind of adorable scruffiness

He's not paying flight attendants to sleep with him, he's hiring prostitutes to serve as flight attendants and sleep with him.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    If it's "sleep with me if you want to keep your job" then it is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmopolit View Post
    He's not paying flight attendants to sleep with him, he's hiring prostitutes to serve as flight attendants and sleep with him.
    And that is the no-prize worthy answer that immediately came to my head, too. Do we really think Tony would like to fool around with the same flight attendants on all his many flights on his personal jet? Clearly, this is a one-off gig for all the girls and they're not on any kind of payroll with benefits.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    If it's "sleep with me if you want to keep your job" then it is wrong.

But it didn't seen like that at all and they were quite clearly enjoying themselves, which they wouldn't be if it was forced.

Extraterrestrial dragon. Arrogantcur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FeminineMystique View Post
    The thing that occurs to me is: he might not have to do any of that in order for it to be wrong. Let's say you're one of these girls, and you see your co-workers hopping into bed with Stark whenever the mood strikes him. You might think "They're all saying yes...what will happen if I say no? Will he tell me that it's just not working out and fire me?"

Stark himself could be oblivious to the fact that just by sleeping with his employees he is creating a situation where other employees are afraid to turn him down, so he's not a complete asshole. But I think there's still a problem.
    "His name is Kettch, and he's an Ewok."
    "No."
    "Oh yes. Determined to fight. You should hear him say 'Yub, yub.' He makes it a battle cry."

I'm thinking that some people are over analyzing a scene that wasn't in the actual movie. One in fact that was deleted from the film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogantcur View Post
    The thing that occurs to me is: he might not have to do any of that in order for it to be wrong. Let's say you're one of these girls, and you see your co-workers hopping into bed with Stark whenever the mood strikes him. You might think "They're all saying yes...what will happen if I say no? Will he tell me that it's just not working out and fire me?"

Stark himself could be oblivious to the fact that just by sleeping with his employees he is creating a situation where other employees are afraid to turn him down, so he's not a complete asshole. But I think there's still a problem.
    Maybe darling...I'm a little wary of that line of reasoning though.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Bushbug View Post
    I'm thinking that some people are over analyzing a scene that wasn't in the actual movie. One in fact that was deleted from the film.
    Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.