Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Permanent Damage - Dec 30, 2009

This week: winding down the decade with the last of Gil Kane's wild west stories; hoisting up the best TV series of the year and running down the worst; plus puzzle solutions galore and the ultimate Comics Cover Challenge

Full article here.

(Which, technically, doesn't end until next December, but since everyone erroneously started the Millennium, and, subsequently, the decade, on January 1, 2000, we may now assume that particular pedantic ship has sailed, and on Friday we're into the next decade as far as anyone really cares.)
    Erm, it doesn't really work that way. Yes, the third millennium/twenty-first century CE began in 2001, not 2000, but decades are typically measured in 0-9 and grouped according to the preceding digit. Do you really think that 2000 was part of the 1990's, 1990 was part of the 1980's, 1980 was part of the 1970's, and so on?

Yes, the first decade of the CE would have been the years 1-10. However, a decade is any 10-year unit of time, and we reasonably group them 0-9. This may be the twenty-first century, but nobody, anywhere, ever refers to the two hundred and first decade; it's the...well, it doesn't really have a name I guess, but it's the one with the zeroes.

Agreed on this being a crappy year to top off a crappy decade. For those who married, hooked up, gave birth, or snagged a fun job and managed to keep it, more power to them. But crap would be an understatement for me.

Regarding the math: If there's actually a year left in the decade, then I hope it makes up for the previous ones. If not, good riddance to "The Naughties," a time when some very wicked people pulled off lots of horrible things while many of us where asleep at the wheel.

Delaying the big announcement for another week? I really hope you're not leaving, because all of my favorite columns on CBR have been dropping like flies this year. I'm crossing my fingers that it's something cool which might give your readers wider exposure.

And although I was fortunate to meet and listen to Jack Kirby just before his passing, I would have enjoyed knowing Gil Kane far more. The man was a ground breaker, one of the industry's true intellectuals, and one heck of an artist at that. From his early DC days to Liefeld's era, the man never stopped working and retained his magic throughout.

Gil Kane was a genius, pure and simple. This decade is crappier still, for his loss.

Best of luck in 2010, Steven.

- Joe Tages

The remake of The Prisoner inspired me to go watch more of the original Prisoner.

And now I'm even more bemused that they remade it. What's the point? You're lacking both McGoohan and Portmeiron, that strips The Prisoner of the two things that made it so iconic.

(Though not as bemused as the last hour of BSG. Well, that makes everything the characters did pointless, doesn't it?)
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Master of All I Survey

I really don't care whether it's a stronger technical point that decades begin with "1" rather than "0."

It's easier to collect ten year spans together when they are based upon having the same "tens" digit.

If the first decade A.D. gets shorted a year, it's no big deal. The only people who would complain are long dead.

Master of All I Survey

JESSE VENTURA'S CONSPIRACY THEORIES SHOW -- Yeah, it's terribly cheesy and hard to watch at times.

But I liked how they put together an argument that some people are using global warming to fatten their wallets. And that really hurts the effort to solve environmental problems.

I like to group the decades by the third digit of the year as well. I wouldn't count 1970 as part of the decade of the sixties, but then that leads to discussions of what "The Sixties" actually were (Dealey Plaza to Watergate? Beatles arriving to Beatles disbanding?), and that in turn reminds me of too many awful discussions about when the Silver Age 'officially' ended. The final result is that I just end up feeling old.

Whatever significance to the calendar 2010 has, I wish you happiness in it, Mr. Grant, and I echo the above hope that you're not ending the column (your cover challenge this week is either a little depressing or very misleading) -- unless, of course, it's to do something that makes you happier.

Still, I'd miss the weekly fun.

It's laziness of thinking that leads some to assume that a decade begins with a year ending in zero. You might say it is an MTV/VH1 way of thinking.

And it's also that laziness of thinking that lead many to believe the 20th century ended in 1999...all because one pop singer said he was going to party like it's 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    And now I'm even more bemused that they remade it. What's the point? You're lacking both McGoohan and Portmeiron, that strips The Prisoner of the two things that made it so iconic.
    Man, it seemed they were going out of their way to ensure it wasn't iconic. Oy. The sets on PEE-WEE'S PLAYHOUSE had more life.

(Though not as bemused as the last hour of BSG. Well, that makes everything the characters did pointless, doesn't it?)
    And that seemed to be the whole point of it. If that can be called a point.

- Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Destiny View Post
    JESSE VENTURA'S CONSPIRACY THEORIES SHOW -- Yeah, it's terribly cheesy and hard to watch at times.

But I liked how they put together an argument that some people are using global warming to fatten their wallets. And that really hurts the effort to solve environmental problems.
    Haven't seen that one yet, but I made the same comment myself a couple columns back. The politicians pushing "dealing with global warming" the hardest - yes, I'm looking at you, Al Gore - appear to also have their fingers all over the carbon credits brokerage market, and stand to make boatloads of money from it. Which is possibly why their proposed solutions - cap'n'trade - don't seem to be solutions much at all, but rather ways to profit off the problem.

- Grant

Quote Originally Posted by chbryan View Post
    I like to group the decades by the third digit of the year as well. I wouldn't count 1970 as part of the decade of the sixties, but then that leads to discussions of what "The Sixties" actually were (Dealey Plaza to Watergate? Beatles arriving to Beatles disbanding?), and that in turn reminds me of too many awful discussions about when the Silver Age 'officially' ended. The final result is that I just end up feeling old.
    Dealey Plaza to Nixon's resignation.

- Grant

Paradox and Primeval as two of the best programmes of the year? Ok, Primeval this year was better than the first two series but Paradox is just pants.

Do agree about Law & Order UK which is just bloody awful even though there's some very good people in the cast, but they manage to make Bill Paterson look crap. As for Freema Agyman and Bradley Walsh, they could replace them with traffic cones and get the same effect. Still, what did we expect from Chris Chibnall, who sadly is back on Doctor Who next year doing a two part Silurian story.

And The Thick Of It is the best programme of the year by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    It's laziness of thinking that leads some to assume that a decade begins with a year ending in zero. You might say it is an MTV/VH1 way of thinking.

And it's also that laziness of thinking that lead many to believe the 20th century ended in 1999...all because one pop singer said he was going to party like it's 1999.
    I agree with you (but don't much care) on the century thing. That's there in the description "20th century" which implies there must have been 19 before that and the first one has to start at 1 AD.

With decades though (putting aside the hideous "noughties") people don't refer to the 200th decade. If they did then it would run from 1991 to 2000. Instead they refer to the 90s which can only mean 1990 to 1999. To claim that the 90s ran from 1991 to the end of 2000 is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Grant View Post
    Haven't seen that one yet, but I made the same comment myself a couple columns back. The politicians pushing "dealing with global warming" the hardest - yes, I'm looking at you, Al Gore - appear to also have their fingers all over the carbon credits brokerage market, and stand to make boatloads of money from it. Which is possibly why their proposed solutions - cap'n'trade - don't seem to be solutions much at all, but rather ways to profit off the problem.
    I'm going to have to update my "Chinese Conspiracy Theory". The Olympics part has become outdated, it turns out that I had the international treaty on weather control a bit wrong, but other things have come to light, for example the behavior of the Chinese reps at Copenhagen. What's surprising to me is that none of the wing-nuts have latched onto it yet. It has that Lewis Carroll thing going for it (completely logical yet still unreasonable).
    Bart Lidofsky

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Grant View Post
    Dealey Plaza to Nixon's resignation.
    (continuing an old conversation)
    As I have mentioned in the past, those are certainly the best American political signposts. As I have mentioned in the past, I consider an economy that allowed for the ability to drop out of mainstream society, remain politically active, yet still survive to be a key part of the 70's; the OPEC oil boycott of October 1973 certainly was the beginning of the end of that (few people here remember a time when a family could be supported, and even get a house, on the salary of a single non-union semi-skilled worker). Now, of course, since the effects of the boycott on the economy were not immediate, the resignation of Nixon several months later could still be held as a signpost, because by then the effects were very strongly felt.

The assassination of Kennedy, however, had an effect on America's youth and is a good signpost for the "Beat Generation" becoming more widespread, and morphing into the various counterculture movements of the 60's (with a healthy dose of the writings of Prof. Herbert Marcuse pulling the whole thing together).
    Bart Lidofsky