Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Grant Morrison's "Barbarian"

In this, the first part of a two-part interview with comics superstar Grant Morrison, CBR News spoke with the writer who shed some light on the darkness surrounding his new creator-owned series from Vertigo Comics, "Joe the Barbarian."

Full article here.

Can't wait this is my most looked forward to comic story in a long while

MasterOfThe ElvenTickler Freakzeek's Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of morrison but I can't Wait for this book
    "Well, dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians."

The artwork really reminds me of Chris Bachalo's earlier work, on Shade The Changing Man and Death. I mean that as a huge compliment, because I love Bachalo's artwork from that period.

This really feels like a story that Grant is going to excel in. I've been giddy like a little kid ever since I heard about him brewing this concept up.

Neo Evangelical Geniuses bebopeva88's Avatar

I've been looking forward to this to a nigh-frightening degree, just as much for creator owned fantasy Morrison as I am for Murphy's awesome art (with Dave Stewart on colors!)

Between this, I, Zombie, and American Vampire, Vertigo is gonna have an AMAZING 2010.
    "It's pretty much as bebopeva88 says really. He is wise and the knower of all things!" -- Ben Templesmith

"Your opinion is like 10 mortal men's." RolandJP

eh... I don't know.

I hate reading about kids... I want to read about big beefy guys with capes!!

I have been so excited for this and the interview has only added to it. 8 foot tall samurai barbarian rodent? Yes Please! Also that last question/answer leaves the fate of Joe very much up in the air which I think makes the story much more interesting. This is the kind of story a writer can really go wild with and I can't wait to see what Morrison squeezes into 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bebopeva88 View Post
    I've been looking forward to this to a nigh-frightening degree, just as much for creator owned fantasy Morrison as I am for Murphy's awesome art (with Dave Stewart on colors!)

Between this, I, Zombie, and American Vampire, Vertigo is gonna have an AMAZING 2010.
    I agree, and that's scary considering that I felt 2009 was the "year of Vertigo" when it came to who put out the best books. So to think that 2010 is going to top this year is just completely amazing. I mean, c'mon, in the first 3 months, Vertigo will be putting out:

Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan's second volume of "Demo"

A promising newcomer with a story that has tons of potential with a legendary creator's name tacked onto the project with "American Vampire"

Amazing Mike Allred art with "I, Zombie"

and a returning Vertigo superstar named Grant Morrison with the title "Joe the Barbarian".

If Morrison puts out the 3rd installment to Seaguy in 2010, then this will cement it as the best year ever for Vertigo in my opinion.....
    Last edited by Fabio13; 12-22-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Unhappy Mixed Bag of Expectations

Sean is Chris Bachalo 2.0 with the best inker possible. Even if I haven't read my issues of Shade in years, this looks pretty much like it. And it even looks better in the printed preview.

The story sounds like a dud. Idk if I can stomach this. It's like Books of Magic Vol 1231. And this is a bit too much in theme with their other new series isn't it? Last year, Vertigo was all about refferencing The Clash in every book. This year it's "Writers writing stories about a writer writing a story".

I had to stop reading this interview because there were too many spoilers for my liking. Have to read it afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio13 View Post
    I agree, and that's scary considering that I felt 2009 was the "year of Vertigo" when it came to who put out the best books. So to think that 2010 is going to top this year is just completely amazing. I mean, c'mon, in the first 3 months, Vertigo will be putting out:

Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan's second volume of "Demo"

A promising newcomer with a story that has tons of potential with a legendary creator's name tacked onto the project with "American Vampire"

Amazing Mike Allred art with "I, Zombie"

and a returning Vertigo superstar named Grant Morrison with the title "Joe the Barbarian".

If Morrison puts out the 3rd installment to Seaguy in 2010, then this will cement it as the best year ever for Vertigo in my opinion.....
    Yeah, I thought Vertigo was pumping all it got this year, but Vertigo is not letting up. Next year looks even better. Just hoping that Sweet Tooth sticks around for years to come!

I can't wait for this. Morrison hardly disappoints me. Murphy's art looks killer. I only wish that this was an ongoing and not an 8 issues mini.
    University of Penn Student. Go Quakers! Pull List: Saga, Batman, Danger Clubl, Amazing Spider-Man, Action Comics, Daredevil, and Hawkeye Limited Series Books: AvX & Spider-Men

this looks great - I have the last two pages of the preview as my wallpaper. When it's clear it just gets me excited all over again
    It's A Dan's World; Illustration and comic guff daily.

being a diabetic myself, i am SUPER PUMPED FOR THIS!!!