Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Permanent Damage - Dec 16, 2009

This week: Hot comics (& related) moments from my misspent youth; the first round of audience Comics Cover Challenges; plus the new Hollywood blacklist, Marvel & Disney, portable software, soap operas and gobs of other notes.

Full article here.

I was on the fence in regards to the new Captain Action comics as both the original run and classic toy line were a bit before my time. But now that you're on board I've bought the back issues and have signed on for as long as you're there. It's fun book, the way comics used to be in my youth.

Which is also when I first encountered the JSA. My initial exposure to the team was the JLA/JSA centerfold by George Perez in JLA # 195. I had no idea why there were two GLs, Flashes, Hawkmen, Atoms, Wonder Women and Supermen who looked different from each other, or why the older Batman was dead while the younger one had four different books out. But my ardent sense of curiosity led me to become a lifelong DC and JSA fan to this day.

General Hospital
    will become the longest lasting soap opera once As The World Turns goes off the air. I predict most, if not all of these programs will be gone within the next decade. The term "soap opera" itself became outdated sometime during the Nixon years. I feel bad for all those actors who've made a career of jumping from one soap to the other. But newspapers probably have it worse right now and they used to serve a far greater purpose.

Re: Commercials too loud.

I recorded a couple movies from Disney Family channel. Had to turn volume up to 90% to hear all the conversations, then down to 60% during commercials. You'd think Disney Family would control this better, being a "family friendly" channel. No, I didn't really watch the commercials, but the change from movie to commercial wasn't always obvious, and I got blasted several times.

But the fight doesn't matter. Nothing is going to get permanently changed. This situation has been argued before, I'd say at least 20-30 years ago. Corporations eventually get to do whatever they want. And they still don't understand why their viewership is declining.

Default Re: Portable Software

Aside form performance, I can see no reason you can't work with your portable applications from your desktop. The performance decrease might be noticeable, depending on the software,though.
    Also, there already is Adobe Photoshop portable edition. Actually, I believe all adobe sotwares (except for Acrobat Reader) exists in portable versions.

Quote Originally Posted by cfutino View Post
    Aside form performance, I can see no reason you can't work with your portable applications from your desktop. The performance decrease might be noticeable, depending on the software,though.
    Also, there already is Adobe Photoshop portable edition. Actually, I believe all adobe sotwares (except for Acrobat Reader) exists in portable versions.
    Dunno if there would be any performance degradation. A program I use on thumbdrive with my netbook seems to work better there than the desktop version I use, though that may have something to do with registry decay. (I really do wish Microsoft would dump that damn thing... and, yes, to everyone offering the suggestion, I know there are other operating systems that don't use one, and if any of you want to put up the ten or twelve grand it would take to transit from Windows to one of the other systems, I'll be happy to discuss it.) But something recently screwed up my FastStone Image Viewer so I had to delete and replace it. I replaced it with its portable version and that too seems to work even better. So I'm unsure.

I may just start replacing programs with their portable versions one by one and see what takes and what doesn't...

- Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Grant View Post
    I may just start replacing programs with their portable versions one by one and see what takes and what doesn't...

- Grant
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing. So far, only Adobe Illustrator has given me reasons to go back to the installed version.

Quote Originally Posted by cfutino View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing. So far, only Adobe Illustrator has given me reasons to go back to the installed version.
    Adobe's so psycho about their programs and their programs are such great examples of psycho code bloat I can't even imagine what a "portable" Adobe app would be like. Even Reader is a nightmare of resource suction...

- Grant