Page 176 of 291 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 4358

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wondered if this was taking place when Doom was still brain-damaged. I can't believe he let it pass when Fury called him the second smartest. The cover was deceptive though because it wasn't Bucky that was fighting the gorilla

I wish we had learned more about Lucia and Victor's past history though but I guess we never will. Just like I am doubtful will ever learn about that possible ancestor of Doom's that appeared ages ago in Brubaker's Captain America. I still am not quite sure where in Doom's timeline this is taking place. He isn't in his Future Foundation colors but we do have Kristoff serving as regent of Latveria. So I suppose it's quite possible this might be the brain damaged version of Doom.
    Yes, there was that too. Though he got in a few digs with MR. Fury. LOL!

I can't believe we aren't going to get more info on Lucia either. Ah well, at least they didn't kill her off.

There were a couple of minor Doom related appearances this week.

Daredevil spoilers:
    ends up shanghaied by teleportation and ends up in Latveria. It seems there's some money laundering going on in Latveria involving the big time criminal organizations.
    end of spoilers I'm curious to see what path Waid will take with Doom on this since he hasn't touched the character since his Fantastic Four run.

Incredible Hulk has just a brief cameo to show that Doom is experimenting on the Gamma beasts acquired from the island.

There's also the brief cameo in Hickman's Fantastic Four 605.1 that has a startling reveal about the Council of Reeds. I loved the look of Mike Choi's Viktor von Doom in the alternate universe but yikes! I felt sorry for the way he ended up. It seems like all the good versions of himself end up badly. I remember Professor Von Doom in the old Warlock series got killed.
    I've given up on trying to figure out when these Doom appearances are supposed to be. I wouldn't go by the costume, though, cause I can't imagine he'd want to wear his FF colors when he wasn't around them.

Latveria is getting a lot of play lately. They were also in AvX and VS, though no Doom or Kristoff. Kristoff is falling down on the job, if he's letting folks just teleport into the country and wreck the countryside and city, and not even show up! Regardless, I wonder if this actually means Doom or Kristoff is going to get another push soon?

I thought the Winter Soldier showing, although brief, was good with some real golden moments for Doom. But all in all, he's played like a supporting character. Which makes it easier to see Doom more frequently in the Marvel U., but waters him down a little too much for my tastes.

What I didn't like about the last issue, was how the way Doom handled Lucia was reacted to by Natasha as all "shock and horror" .... I mean, really? Natasha is a freaking red army spy, and she's laying down widow stings like a bed of roses, yet she's upset because Doom expeditiously dispatches a woman who stole from him, attacked him, and was a traitor to his country? And it's not like he killed her. Meanwhile, Bucky gets into a no-holds barred knock-out drag out battle with his old buddy from mother Russia, and kills him in the end. Nothing is said about it, other than Bucky gets to feel some angst. Yet Doom is villified? Because he wounded a woman? Or because he didn't feel bad about it? (and why should he? She knew what she was getting into and what would happen if she got caught!)

That kind of unfair dichotomy, which certain people would point to and say "Look at what an awful villain Doom is!" that's what chaps my britches. Marvel feeds us this sometimes and expects us to buy into it, but if you look at it critically you see how one-sided it is. After all, in the end even Bucky admits Doom is a man of his word.

And I missed the Daredevil issue, my local comic shop must have sold out. Did Doom appear or was it just Daredevil in Latveria?
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    I thought the Winter Soldier showing, although brief, was good with some real golden moments for Doom. But all in all, he's played like a supporting character. Which makes it easier to see Doom more frequently in the Marvel U., but waters him down a little too much for my tastes.

What I didn't like about the last issue, was how the way Doom handled Lucia was reacted to by Natasha as all "shock and horror" .... I mean, really? Natasha is a freaking red army spy, and she's laying down widow stings like a bed of roses, yet she's upset because Doom expeditiously dispatches a woman who stole from him, attacked him, and was a traitor to his country? And it's not like he killed her. Meanwhile, Bucky gets into a no-holds barred knock-out drag out battle with his old buddy from mother Russia, and kills him in the end. Nothing is said about it, other than Bucky gets to feel some angst. Yet Doom is villified? Because he wounded a woman? Or because he didn't feel bad about it? (and why should he? She knew what she was getting into and what would happen if she got caught!)

That kind of unfair dichotomy, which certain people would point to and say "Look at what an awful villain Doom is!" that's what chaps my britches. Marvel feeds us this sometimes and expects us to buy into it, but if you look at it critically you see how one-sided it is. After all, in the end even Bucky admits Doom is a man of his word.

And I missed the Daredevil issue, my local comic shop must have sold out. Did Doom appear or was it just Daredevil in Latveria?
    thats nothing look at Civil War, now that was one sided.
    Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in ED, I expected better after Books of Doom.

I liked Winter Soldier overall: I thought it was a good mix of showing Doom in all his sides as a political figure, ruthless operator, petty insult-thrower, tech genius and man of his word.

But I will say that possibly the one flaw I think Brubaker has in his writing of Doom is that he's actually too sympathetic to him, in that I felt there were moments in Books of Doom in particular where it seemed like he was throwing in Doom doing something reprehensible because he'd suddenly thought, "Oh, crap, really ought to be showing him being a bit more evil," rather than it progressing organically from what had gone before. (Like the completely random scene of him throttling that girl at the party, for instance, which is so out of nowhere and unmotivated it comes off more like Victor having an alcohol-induced violent flashback than anything.) So I don't know if that moment with Natasha is maybe more of the same: him trying to portray Doom as more overtly villanous, but his actual characterisation of Doom not really coming off OTT evil enough to support that reading.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

Latveria is getting a lot of play lately. They were also in AvX and VS, though no Doom or Kristoff. Kristoff is falling down on the job, if he's letting folks just teleport into the country and wreck the countryside and city, and not even show up! Regardless, I wonder if this actually means Doom or Kristoff is going to get another push soon?

I certainly hope they do but quickly looking over the August solicitations, it didn't look like much was going on that month in regards to either. Other than the Vengeance mini and his appearance in FF when the Bridge was destroyed, we've not seen much of Kristoff. At least in the Vengeance story, he defended Latveria. I'd like to have seen his show up in the AvX story with the Spider-Man vs Colossus. Gillen did get in a few digs against Doom's regime. I thought poverty was already pretty much unknown in Latveria? I blame it on Reed when he screwed around with the economy back in Authoritative Action.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post

We didn't see Doom at the end, just Daredevil being teleported to Latveria.

It was mentioned in the WS thread on the Avengers board that Doom seemed to be a bit of a parody in the story. Brubaker plays him both at the top of his game in some respects ... Bucky at least is shown to be clearly outmatched in their initial brief skirmish...yet he does get insulted quite a bit. But I suppose it's no worse than what he gets from Ben or Johnny and he thinks they're both idiots so he takes little note of their opinions and wisecracks. IMO Doom plays his role to the hilt on purpose. These are lesser lights to him and as such it don't require him to engage them on any level other than that.

You bring up a valid point though in that Bucky puts down his former protege with regret but dead is dead. Bucky tries to minimize it by saying he should have dodged the knife but his aim was sure true enough to be a lethal strike. In a way, Lucia might have been a protege to Doom. She was not what her sponsors in the U.S hoped her to be when they placed her in power in Latveria. If anything, she was following Doom's example in her brief reign more than being a cooperative ally. She was prepared to cause some heavy damage if those nukes had been launched so IMO unlike Dmitri, there's little room for pity there.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerkaya View Post
    thats nothing look at Civil War, now that was one sided.
    Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in ED, I expected better after Books of Doom.
    I was a bit disappointed in some respects too. As I said before, I wanted to know more about Lucia and maybe there's a chance she might become part of Winter Soldiers rogue's gallery. I would like to see that happen. I think Brubaker is having a bit of fun with Doom here by having him jump into the fray and tangling with the Red Ghosts apes. But at the same time he reminds us of how deadly an opponent he can be. It's a pattern that we've seen before whenever Doom is in these forced, temporary alliances. Heroes mock Doom as they fight a common enemy... rinse then repeat. But it was at least fun for a while. I don't know if we will have anything other than cameo bits for the rest of the year.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-22-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

So...

You think Doom will send any flowers or other gifts to Northstar and Kyle's wedding? We all know he loves doing that.

Then again I don't think he'd do that for someone he hasn't tried to kill or hook up with at least once.
    Last edited by ThatPerson; 05-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPerson View Post
    So...

You think Doom will send any flowers or other gifts to Northstar and Kyle's wedding? We all know he loves doing that.

Then again I don't think he'd do that for someone he hasn't tried to kill or hook up with at least once.
    LOL....I don't even know who Kyle is so I've got no idea either way. IMO, Doom would think it of little consequence. We know he sent flowers to Johnny and Alicia's (or I should say Lyja's) wedding but they didn't treat them very delicately. Which reminds me of another hobby of Doom's that was revealed in that issue and that was raising orchids. With the way he combined his talents for weaponry and at the baby grand, one wonders if he raises some kind of Killer orchids that poison the air in your room
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

I can't play the sound, but I looked at the pictures! Go down to the middle of the article and play this trailer for the new Marvel MMO game and you know who.

Marvel Heroes MMO trailer

I certainly hope they do but quickly looking over the August solicitations, it didn't look like much was going on that month in regards to either. Other than the Vengeance mini and his appearance in FF when the Bridge was destroyed, we've not seen much of Kristoff. At least in the Vengeance story, he defende Latveria. I'd like to have seen his show up in the AvX story with the Spider-Man vs Colossus. Gillen did get in a few digs against Doom's regime. I thought poverty was already pretty much unknown in Latveria? I blame it on Reed when he screwed around with the economy back in Authoritative Action.
    Good point! If poverty is back in Latveria, it's Kristoff's fault.

Yeah, I'm sadly disappointed by the solicits now. I rarely see any of my favorites there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I can't play the sound, but I looked at the pictures! Go down to the middle of the article and play this trailer for the new Marvel MMO game and you know who.

Marvel Heroes MMO trailer

Wow... thanks for finding that trailer. I've not heard anything about this game for a while. I have faith in the company because they are the same one who developed the Superhero Squad MMO based on the cartoon characters. Even for an adult, it's a lot of fun to play.

I hope you can play as one of the villains in this new game. And I don't mean Stilt Man. I have the Marvel Ultimate Alliance #1 and I know that if you got certain codes you could unlock the villains and play them but I never had any luck finding them. The scenes between levels were really well done, especially the one where Doom shows his power.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-23-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Sweet. How fun would it be to play as Doom and send your minions out to do battle with the heroes while you plot to take over the world.
    "Because ... I am Doom

Some screen grabs from the Marvel Universe MMO trailer

How cool is that?

And what could be more awesome than Doom's own cosmic cube?

Found this also, from an Xbox360 game? Not sure if it's the same as the MMO, it was called Marvel Universe, though:
    "Because ... I am Doom

Those are great! I loved the slow camera move up that hallway to Doom. Great shots.

Hmmm. Have no idea on that last picture, but it looks pretty cool.

This was the last page of the recent Daredevil #13 issue (Dr Doom does not appear in the comic):
    Daredevil 13 pg21
    "Because ... I am Doom

Isn't Doom supposed to be in an upcoming Spider-Man story with Silver Sable that takes place in the past? Or did I miss it??

Saw this on an art for sale website. I have this What If issue and thought it was a pretty interesting time travel story with Nathaniel Richards playing a role in it .
    I love how Leonardo Manco adds the ornate detailing that was common in the medieval armors.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-24-2012 at 09:26 PM.