Page 158 of 292 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 4367

Talking of Boris, I seem to recall the backup story in F4 Annual #15 where he helps smuggle Doom out of Zorba's hands shows a group of troops loyal to Doom. They're led by a Lieutenant Borgo, so it seems Doom has at least a few human officers under his command.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic writer View Post
    Talking of Boris, I seem to recall the backup story in F4 Annual #15 where he helps smuggle Doom out of Zorba's hands shows a group of troops loyal to Doom. They're led by a Lieutenant Borgo, so it seems Doom has at least a few human officers under his command.
    He has had some small retinue with him at the embassy in NYC but most of the time they are plain clothes types. I also recall in the Astonishing Tales story where he first goes after the vibranium in Wakanda he has small group of armed guards with him, one of which he ended up shooting. Another small group was on the ship with him and Namor when they went looking for the Cosmic Cube in the Atlantic. But I have a feeling there isn't a large human army like say Wakanda would have, or Atlantis. That's why I was intrigued by the alliance between Doom and Namor being renewed in the Namor mini "Revolution" just before the Cabal formed. There were Atlantean troops in Latveria but nothing much was done with it. I remember a one shot comic with the premise of being a prepared dossier for Osborn just before Siege and they knew the troops were there at least as late as that.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

I can see Latveria having a very small army,with mostly (secret) police work and guarding some national spots,but the true defence force of Latveria could be doombots and other robots that Doom has created.It serves both as having all the workforce of Latveria focused in production(agriculture and industry) and you don't have the threat of a military coup(although only a fool would dare plotting an overthrown against Victor Von Doom).Only a "Latverian Spring" could threaten Doom(like FF 200)but our good doctor always returns...cause no one is better than him.
    "I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Folks you should check out The Incredible Hulk #5, because we see more of Doom and Hulk post-operation, as well as tantalizing hints about Amanda's origin. Because with the latter,
    spoilers:
    That Doom-forcing-himself-on-a-peasant-maiden mentioned by Brian looms large as a possible explanation.
    end of spoilers
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarius View Post
    I can see Latveria having a very small army,with mostly (secret) police work and guarding some national spots,but the true defence force of Latveria could be doombots and other robots that Doom has created.It serves both as having all the workforce of Latveria focused in production(agriculture and industry) and you don't have the threat of a military coup(although only a fool would dare plotting an overthrown against Victor Von Doom).Only a "Latverian Spring" could threaten Doom(like FF 200)but our good doctor always returns...cause no one is better than him.
    I would like to see an elite group of trusted, human agents. There's only so much a robot can be programmed to do. Maybe something like a black ops group that would hunt down his enemies or threats. He seems to have a pretty good intel network out there so maybe he has people deep undercover in certain spots. You pay enough and you can find some good mercenary talent.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Folks you should check out The Incredible Hulk #5, because we see more of Doom and Hulk post-operation, as well as tantalizing hints about Amanda's origin. Because with the latter,
    spoilers:
    That Doom-forcing-himself-on-a-peasant-maiden mentioned by Brian looms large as a possible explanation.
    end of spoilers
    I knew there would be more forthcoming on the source of Amanda's surname.
    There's one catch though...

spoilers:
    If she is adult than this would mean she would have to been born long before Doom assumed command in Latveria. So there could be no "droit du seigneur" for him to enforce.

Age wise, I always pegged Reed, Ben and Victor to be within a couple of years of each other at the most. I see them as being in the early middle age. Of course who knows with the MU and life expectancies just what that is. We did see a 120 year old Doom in X-Factor. There was that one panel in Dark Avengers where Morgana visited a young Victor in the past where she almost took a dagger to him. The caption specifically said "37 years ago". IMO that would make Victor in his early to mid 40s. We know that Valeria and Victor were intimate so maybe she did hide the knowledge of her pregnancy from him? After all, he was gone for 5 years or so in Tibet.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-14-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Didn't that Latverian Spring turn out to be worse then then when Doom was in charge? In fact hasn't always replacing doom with a more "liberal pro west" ruler always bite them in the ass?

I guess Obama should of read more FF then Spidey.
    Cyclops ad portas

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I would like to see an elite group of trusted, human agents. There's only so much a robot can be programmed to do. Maybe something like a black ops group that would hunt down his enemies or threats. He seems to have a pretty good intel network out there so maybe he has people deep undercover in certain spots. You pay enough and you can find some good mercenary talent.
    I recall his royal guards in Fall of the Hulks Alpha that got mowed down by M.O.D.O.K.; then his embassy security that got trounced by an unarmed Tony Stark in Iron Age. Not exactly up to the task there. Would Doom be willing to hire mercenaries who are in it only for the pay and not out of loyalty to him or Latveria? Also he's had experience creating super-powered lackeys like Dreadknight (though he never served Doom to my knowledge) and Darkoth, as well as Volcana and Titania. I wonder that he never called on those two to render service to him after the Secret Wars and the Beyonder returning him to Earth (though Owen Reece would have protested him using Marsha for sure).
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I recall his royal guards in Fall of the Hulks Alpha that got mowed down by M.O.D.O.K.; then his embassy security that got trounced by an unarmed Tony Stark in Iron Age. Not exactly up to the task there. Would Doom be willing to hire mercenaries who are in it only for the pay and not out of loyalty to him or Latveria? Also he's had experience creating super-powered lackeys like Dreadknight (though he never served Doom to my knowledge) and Darkoth, as well as Volcana and Titania. I wonder that he never called on those two to render service to him after the Secret Wars and the Beyonder returning him to Earth (though Owen Reece would have protested him using Marsha for sure).
    I think Doom has worked with mercenaries in the past though. After all, he did hire Luke Cage.
    Didn't we see Dreadknight working for him in Iron Man Legacy? I keep getting all those IM minis mixed up. There's been so many of them. It looked like he might have been brain washed though. But now that you mention him, he would make a good addition to some kind of Latverian superhero team that Doom could put together.

As for Volanca and Titania, he really has left them to be on their own. He did keep tabs on Marsha for a while because I recall a back up story about her in a couple of FF annuals. Then you have Lancer from Planet Doom but who knows what her status is now I don't know if she ever showed up in the arc in Thunderbolts where Zemo put himself in charge.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-15-2012 at 12:41 AM.

IM -- the t-shirt is a new one from WeLoveFine ... http://www.welovefine.com/1857-absolut-doom.html

The poster is a piece of fan art that I stumbled upon, possibly at DeviantArt.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    IM -- the t-shirt is a new one from WeLoveFine ... http://www.welovefine.com/1857-absolut-doom.html

The poster is a piece of fan art that I stumbled upon, possibly at DeviantArt.
    I think I am going to order that shirt. That's where I got the Doom on a Unicorn shirt from. Do you have one of these yet?

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I knew there would be more forthcoming on the source of Amanda's surname.
    There isn't all that much added.

spoilers:
    She was born in a Latverian prison (under which ruler is unspecified) and her mother died in childbirth.
    end of spoilers

I'm still thinking it's a red herring, to some degree. Aaron's laying it on a little too thick, otherwise.
    Expletive Deleted

The Black Hearted Hero of Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    There isn't all that much added.

spoilers:
    She was born in a Latverian prison (under which ruler is unspecified) and her mother died in childbirth.
    end of spoilers

I'm still thinking it's a red herring, to some degree. Aaron's laying it on a little too thick, otherwise.
    spoilers:
    I agree she's probably a cousin or some such, it would be cool to see Doom interract with another relative than his cousin Bob the dentist.

Age wise I agree Reed and Vic must be pretty close, but I also feel that Vic should be younger by a few years there's a male equivalent to the maiden,mother,crone motif for males which I believe goes hunter,lord,sage and in it Vic would be the hunter and Reed the lord as blasphemous as it seems

Also what was someone of Reed's intellect doing still in college when Doom came there shouldn't have he been finished his 4 years in 6 months, did he like the atmoshpere or the parties
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Hero of Shadows; 03-14-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Didn't that Latverian Spring turn out to be worse then then when Doom was in charge? In fact hasn't always replacing doom with a more "liberal pro west" ruler always bite them in the ass?

I guess Obama should of read more FF then Spidey.
    Despite his autocratic behavior,Doom is a very capable man and knows how to keep his people happy and in check.I would love to see Doom dethroned and his successor being capable and loved by Latverians.It would make nice stories about Doom trying to regain his throne from a leader that truly enjoys Latverian's trust and love.
    "I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarius View Post
    Despite his autocratic behavior,Doom is a very capable man and knows how to keep his people happy and in check.I would love to see Doom dethroned and his successor being capable and loved by Latverians.It would make nice stories about Doom trying to regain his throne from a leader that truly enjoys Latverian's trust and love.
    It would definitely be interesting. I guess there's that potential with Kristoff taking over now; if he proves to be a wiser, kinder ruler, what happens if Victor returns wanting the throne and the people would rather keep Kristoff? Especially if there turns out to be emotional fallout from Doom killing Cassie Lang in Children's Crusade. She was Kristoff's first kiddie crush, after all...