Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Shane Davis Lands On "Earth One"

The artist of DC's incoming "Superman: Earth One" talks about the gig, making Clark less of a stereotype and why the graphic novel is the best format creatively - with EXCLUSIVE sketch material!

Full article here.

I rag on JMS a lot but I think he's better suited to writing in this format. In general this is the first thing that DC has done in quite awhile that has me excited so I'll definitely be picking up this and Batman.

I'm sure this project will be very good, but the small bits of info disclosed here temper my enthusiasm. Is this a completely new reinvention, or just a new origin? I'm hoping for the former, but expecting the latter.

The costume should have been changed. I appreciate the classic nature of the red shorts, but we can see that with New Earth Superman. I wanted something to distinguish this Supes from NE Supes. I really dig the redesign for E1 Batman, and it would have been nice to see something similar done here.

And, do they have to include Jimmy? No matter how much they change him, the inclusion of Jimmy just makes me think they're going to re-jigger the classic elements rather create new elements. That's the biggest pitfall with these books. There are so many elements of the Superman mythos that are deemed iconic, I wonder if JMS and his successors can force themselves to abandon them altogether. How about no sidekicks named Jimmy, no boss named Perry and no Lois!

Shane David is an excellent choice of artist for this project. I have bought nearly every comic he has ever penciled. The man has got talent.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

I really like his version of Clark. It seems more real than any version I seen before. I just wonder, will he still have glasses?
    Pull List: Action Comics, Green Lantern, GLC, GL: New Guardians, Justice League, The Flash, Batman Inc, Batman, Nightwing, Batman & Robin, Dial H, Animal Man, Frankenstien, Earth-2

I am so excited that DC is finally doing a modernized version of their characters, because no matter what happens to the main DCU it will still always retain that classic, traditional feel, especially because of the way the costumes look and the characters dress.

And Shane Davis has always just been an average artist imo until now, and his newish style and designs that he's bringing to this book really makes me hope that he gets to draw the next one (and any more after that) too.

Crazy excited for this.

Earth-1 could be an imprint by itself consisting of ongoing graphic novels. Great !

Hopefully this is a step towards showing more of the multiverse too.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

This is just so ill-conceived. Johns and Frank are doing the origin thing right now. Then they are doing the Earth 1 Batman OGN. Leaving 2 stories by the team in 2 separate "realities."

While I see the points Davis makes about 22 pages, I don't think it limits the creators one bit. Those 22 pages have an infinite number of ways that they can be arranged. In fact it makes you more creative. Does 1 hour limit "Lost" or "Alias" or any other episodic TV program?

Any stories outside the current continuity die as soon as you read them. They don't matter.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Most disappointing thing about this to me? They're keeping the red speedos. Batman doesn't have them in the Earth One promos, and he looks better for it. They just have no place anymore.
    Techcitement is an online tech magazine. The term techcitement is defined by the feeling that comes over you when discovering new (or even old and unfamiliar) tech. Techcitement also relates to the idea of any use of technology that proves to be interesting, from politics to social media to fitness. If a story excites us, we want to share it with you. [I co-own this and act as EIC of this, so check it out.]

Seriously, why is DC so afraid of changing Superman's look at all? They do it all the time to Batman, arguably their most popular character. If there was ANY time to ditch the red trunks and refine Superman's look, it's when you're doing an Ultimate take on him. This just sets a weak tone for the whole project that they couldn't even bother to do that much.

Nice interview. Will get this
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

What Would Starbuck Do? twincast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Goblin View Post
    Seriously, why is DC so afraid of changing Superman's look at all? They do it all the time to Batman, arguably their most popular character. If there was ANY time to ditch the red trunks and refine Superman's look, it's when you're doing an Ultimate take on him. This just sets a weak tone for the whole project that they couldn't even bother to do that much.
    Agree. Although nowadays at least Bruce-Bats changes outfits too frequently according to the whims of his artists for lack of a definite house version.

Really, everything Davis says and shows is cool beans and all - everything but the costume.

Spidey's costume worked (for the most part), so there was no need to change it (much) just for the sake of changing it. But Cap's didn't work, so they modernized and added some realism to it. Why not make E1-Supes's super-hero geek-fashion more fashionable as well? Jeez.
    (MWG/CMG/)RPG:
    WH (Fantasy & 40K), D&D 3.5 (Eberron, FR, DS, SJ)/Pathfinder, DSA 4.1, SIFRP, SWRPG Saga Ed., WoD (old & new).
    CCG:
    M:TG, V:TES, Digital Monsters (Hyper Colosseum & Alpha), Yu-Gi-Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by bongoes View Post
    I really like his version of Clark. It seems more real than any version I seen before. I just wonder, will he still have glasses?
    He will once Clark has decided to go with the dual identity bit.

Quote Originally Posted by twincast
    Why not make E1-Supes's super-hero geek-fashion more fashionable as well? Jeez.
    Because Davis and JMS wanted to stick with the classic look, whereas Frank wanted to do something different after his talks with Johns. It's just a case of different creative artists. Once this expands to other characters, we'll probably continue to see a mix of the two ideals.

Superman's costume staying the same is like Ultimate Spider-Man.

Yeah, I too would have preferred something with a belt instead of the underwear, but it's forgivable because of how iconic Superman is.