Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Gates on "World's Finest" and "Supergirl"

CBR News caught up with one of DC's rising stars, Sterling Gates, and talked about the writer's upcoming Dick Grayson/Kal-El team-up in "World's Finest," the impending death of Lana Lang in the pages of "Supergirl" and more.

Full article here.

Well it looks as if we are in for a lot of more interesting and challenging stories featuring Supergirl. I like stories where Kara is put through the wringer. Just sorry that the Batgirl that she will be teaming up with will be Stephanie Brown not Cassandra Cain. It's really a shame that Sterling Gates is signed with DC. He would be great writing an X Book.

Thank you Sterling Gates for not wasting my time or money!
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

Its a shame she's teaming up with steph rather than barbara. I actually would have prefered a supergirl/oracle team up after the christmas special last year

I CAN GET LOUD TOO

Well, i'm happy that she's teaming up with Steph

About the Lana Lang thing, i kinda get the feeling that she won't die. The fact that the subject kept coming up makes me think it just might be a red herring, though chances are I'm probably wrong

Heh! Sterling Gates, if you're reading this, then I just wanted to say that I love Steph and thanks to you, I now love Kara. So excited!

Quote Originally Posted by live-a-live View Post
    About the Lana Lang thing, i kinda get the feeling that she won't die. The fact that the subject kept coming up makes me think it just might be a red herring, though chances are I'm probably wrong

Yeah, it looks like a big tease, as Gates seems more interested in moving away from elaborating on Lana's 'demise'. Some have already speculated that this may be the return of the Insect Queen, which does make some sense due to the increased use of LSH characters in the "New Krypton" plot line.

...I find the straight-faced treatment of death in interviews like these to be annoying, to be perfectly honest. I find it hard to believe that Steve's any more credulous or less cynical than us on the messageboard, but he has to pretend he really thinks Lana's going to die and stay dead.

I remember one right before the conclusion of the Death of the Invisible Woman arc where the interviewer had to act like he honestly believed our Sue Storm was going to die, even though it had already been revealed there was a second Sue Storm from the future in the story. It's frankly a little insulting to the readers' intelligence.

Related: I see Blackest Night as a story that's really at odds with itself. On one hand, it's a metafictional wink-at-the-camera story that takes on the very concept of death in superhero comics and how pointless and mundane it's become, and on the other, it uses superhero death as a central piece of its story and seems to want the reader not to react as if it's pointless and mundane. To put it another way, Hal and Barry spend most of issue 1 discussing how they've both come back from the dead and how the popular ones always do, and on the last page I'm supposed to give a crap when the Hawks are killed.

In a nutshell, I think BN really succeeds where it examines the absurdity of superhero death and fails where it succumbs to it.

Back on-target: Lana's not going to die. If she does die, she's going to come back. If she doesn't come back under the current creative team, she's going to come back under a future creative team. You know it, I know it, Steve knows it but has to pretend he doesn't. The story will stand or fall on its own merits, but at this point it's hard to make death meaningful. My immediate reaction to hearing Lana was going to die was slight annoyance, followed by apathy. Maybe it'll be a great story, but "minor character who used to be a major character and has recently been built back up gets killed off" is usually a poor springboard.

In the meantime...Black Lantern Lana Lang, amirite?