Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Helen Slater Is Still "Super"

It's been 25 years since "Supergirl" was released in theaters, and CBR News recently sat down down with actress Helen Slater and discussed her famous role, her upcoming co-writing gig on "Supergirl" #50, her turn on "Smallville" and more

Full article here.

Thumbs up

Great inteview by Jill and nice to hear Helen's thoughts on things!

Helen was the epitome of Supergirl in that film. If only it had a stronger (good) script, it would have been better received and done better at the box office. Unfortunately, the same can be said of all the Superman films after Superman II.

Even so, "Supergirl" is a DVD worth owning -- just to see Slater portraying Supergirl -- very earnestly and never campy -- despite the campy performances from just about everyone else. What a waste of some incredible acting talent!

Moving on. I've always enjoyed Slater's post-Supergirl performances. Though I didn't see "Legend of Billie Jean," she had a great role in "The Secret of My Success" with Michael J. Fox and "Ruthless People" is one of my all-time favorite comedies. It's funny that the Supergirl connection wasn't somehow mentioned in the Seinfeld episode, but it was nice to see her show up there as well.

Looking forward to the story she scripted for issue 50.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Helen was the epitome of Supergirl in that film. If only it had a stronger (good) script, it would have been better received and done better at the box office. Unfortunately, the same can be said of all the Superman films after Superman II.

Even so, "Supergirl" is a DVD worth owning -- just to see Slater portraying Supergirl -- very earnestly and never campy -- despite the campy performances from just about everyone else. What a waste of some incredible acting talent!
    Yeah, the film is still worth owning for me as well, and a key part of the reason was Helen Slater's overall earnest performance as the Girl of Steel. My favorite scene is still the unedited version of the debate between Kara and Zaltar in the Phantom Zone, which showed that Slater, even at that young age, could likely hold her own with an acting heavyweight like Peter O'Toole.

Moving on. I've always enjoyed Slater's post-Supergirl performances. Though I didn't see "Legend of Billie Jean," she had a great role in "The Secret of My Success" with Michael J. Fox and "Ruthless People" is one of my all-time favorite comedies. It's funny that the Supergirl connection wasn't somehow mentioned in the Seinfeld episode, but it was nice to see her show up there as well.
    You should definitely look up "Billie Jean" some time; I think that conceptionally the film has parallels to "Supergirl", in that the heroine has to stand up for herself in the face of gender, social class and age biases (as well as a trumped-up 'outlaw' status which also sends the local cops after her). Unfortunately, the film still hasn't been released in DVD format yet.

Looking forward to the story she scripted for issue 50.
    It's pretty much the ONLY reason I'm buying that issue.

Helen's had quite the year of interviews this year for the 25th anniversary. They should re-release the director's cut of the movie, its better. I actually think Selena is a better villain than Lex in the Superman movies. While her sidekick added humour Selena was a scary lady who just wanted to rip Kara to pieces. The only part I didn't like in the movie was Ethan. I couldn't work out what he was meant to be, he was an subverted Damsel in Distress of course but I mean his comic precident. He's not really like any guy Supergirl ever dated. (well one could compare him to power boy a bit but thats retroactively)