Default 1st or 2nd print?

I've recently aquired quite the stack of old Star Wars comics. while trying to find out how much they are worth, i ran into a problem. I dont know how to tell if it is the 1st print or the 2nd. I know this is a stupid thing not to know, but how do i tell? there is a fairly significant price difference between the different prints, so i want to make sure i know what i have. Any help here would be great. Thanks in advance

The second print versions usually have diamond shaped price boxes while the first prints have rectangular price boxes.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-is...pE33y/jgN7o%3d

The site above contains scans of most if not all the covers.

i see that is the case with most of the issues. the two in question are #3 and #4. I own 30cent 'square' copies of both. Both issues have a 2nd print that also has the square on them. they mention "reprint text". covers look identical. any way to tell?

Quote Originally Posted by vastolordcj View Post
    ... "reprint text". ...
    that answers your question. they are 2nd prints.
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blazes View Post
    that answers your question. they are 2nd prints.
    im sorry for the confusion... the phrase, "reprint text", only appears in the issue description from the website from the link above, not anywhere on MY issue.
    the question is how to tell if it is the "reprint text" edition.

I can see no noticeable differences on the cover, you should check the indicia to see if "reprint text" is listed there.

Yeah, my uncle just gave me his Star Wars comics (#1-22)

When I found out they were 2nd prints, I was a little disappointed, but I didn't feel bad reading through them. They were pretty good! Gotta love the mis-coloring!

im sorry for the confusion... the phrase, "reprint text", only appears in the issue description from the website from the link above, not anywhere on MY issue.
    the question is how to tell if it is the "reprint text" edition.
    gotcha. my bad.

I think it will say reprint text on the cover, that's the impression i got from the site OR take it to a comic shop to verify.
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099

combed through each issue, it dosent say "reprint text" or anything. im gonna go ahead and say they are 1st prints. thanks everyone for your help.

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

I've recently aquired quite the stack of old Star Wars comics. while trying to find out how much they are worth, i ran into a problem. I dont know how to tell if it is the 1st print or the 2nd. I know this is a stupid thing not to know, but how do i tell? there is a fairly significant price difference between the different prints, so i want to make sure i know what i have. Any help here would be great. Thanks in advance

I'm a little bit late to the party because I’ve been away from these boards for a couple of weeks due to computer troubles. Anyway, that's a shame because I could've really helped you out with this. I'm a massive fan of Marvel's Star Wars run and a bit of an armchair expert on the series. So, in the hopes that you’re maybe still lurking on the boards and that you might see this reply, I'll give you a quick guide to identifying the reprints.

Only issues #1 - #9 of Marvel's Star Wars series had second and in some instances, third printings. The reprint history of issues #1 - #9 breaks down like this...

First printings of issues #1 - #4 will have a square price box or a diamond shaped price box with 30c in it. There are variants with 35c on the cover (in a square price box) because Marvel was trying out a slight price increase in some areas of the United States at the time. The 35c variants are much rarer and much sought after - therefore they’re much more valuable.

First printings of issues #5 - #9 will have a square price box or a diamond shaped price box with 35c in it.

Second printings of issues #1 - #4 will either have a square shaped price box with 30c in it or a diamond shaped price box with 35c and second printings of issues #5 - #9 will have a square or diamond shaped price box with 35c in it. It’s very easy to identify second printings of issues #1 - #9 from first printings though, because they will have the word "Reprint" on the cover, just under the price box and next to the little picture of Luke Skywalker. Like this...

Only issues #1 - #3 were reprinted a third time. Third prints of issues #1 - #3 will have a diamond shaped price box with 35c in it but no "Reprint" text on the cover. They do, however, make reference to being a reprint in the indicia (the small print) at the bottom of the first page of the comic.

Hope that helps a little.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City • Kick-Ass 3 • Star Wars: Dark Times • Superior Spider-Man