Page 355 of 672 FirstFirst ... 255305345351352353354355356357358359365405455 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 10079

Drawing people with the same face (but different hair/clothes) isn't uncommon, but for some reason that Carol and Jessica picture really highlights that in a negative way. They look some cliche creepy twins

Quote Originally Posted by Game Show View Post
    Drawing people with the same face (but different hair/clothes) isn't uncommon, but for some reason that Carol and Jessica picture really highlights that in a negative way. They look some cliche creepy twins
    One can say that their are either in the closet lesbians or as close as sisters can be. Which option would you pick?

Couldn't help it, I read it. Easily a great issue, I love where this is going.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGirlDizzy View Post
    I am, so XP

I appreciate that the comic might not be for you, but that isn't to say that it isn't for anyone else.

I've been enjoying Captain Marvel immensely! More please XD
    Hey, I'm not trying to kill your buzz. If you're enjoying the book, awesome. What I'm trying to say that a hero is only as good as the challenges she faces, if Carol doesn't develop any iconic villains, post haste, she's not going to make it. Look at what Snyder's doing with Batman, what Johns has done with Green Lantern and Aquaman. Sinestro used to be a joke, so did Black Manta. Now they're awesome, and scary. Carol has nobody. If she did, she would be elevated as well. Wonder Woman is becoming cool, because there is a world being developed around her. Developing Carol herself isn't enough, not nearly enough.
    Last edited by Zagreus; 11-26-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Carol has nobody. If she did, she would be elevated as well. Wonder Woman is becoming cool, because there is a world being developed around her. Developing Carol herself isn't enough, not nearly enough.
    It all depends on the writer.

I really want this book to succeed. But I agree that the first arc was a bit week, the story confusing. I read primarily for the character and their relationships and I like what KS is doing with Carol. Love the story with Tracy, loved the bit about Jessica and Carol checking in on each other, loved the banter between Carol and Monica. That's the essence of Carol to me, her devotion to her friends. The adventure stories are secondary to me but I know that for most readers that's the most important factor. I hope KS can find a successful balance.

The weak point for me has been the art. While Soy has an interesting style it's a bit dark and muddy for me. Rios was too chicken-scratchy for my taste. And neither one made the characters very attractive, especially Carol. I don't understand why Marvel doesn't put one of their more popular artists on the book if they want to make her their signature female character. I thought the Dodson covers captured her best.

I'll definitely continue to support her book but just hope that Marvel gives it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    It all depends on the writer.
    Agreed (10 char)

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Hey, I'm not trying to kill your buzz. If you're enjoying the book, awesome. What I'm trying to say that a hero is only as good as the challenges she faces, if Carol doesn't develop any iconic villains, post haste, she's not going to make it. Look at what Snyder's doing with Batman, what Johns has done with Green Lantern and Aquaman. Sinestro used to be a joke, so did Black Manta. Now they're awesome, and scary. Carol has nobody. If she did, she would be elevated as well. Wonder Woman is becoming cool, because there is a world being developed around her. Developing Carol herself isn't enough, not nearly enough.
    It'd be nice if she could develop a few but it would be good if she could use someone elses for an issue or two. I mentioned earlier that Batwoman was what I was buying because of the storyline and art, but last week I picked up Catwoman and the contest between Catwoman and the Joker was something that I haven't seen and I don't think I ever will see with Carol. In the shifting kaleidoscope of right and wrong and the casual betrayals that comprise the heroes and villains of the marvel universe you can't have a story like that. The writers are too fond of villain redemption stories. When I think of Carol and enemies I think of Rogue, Mystique and maybe Modok or Deathbird. Of those 4 someone has decided that Carol isn't allowed to hate Rogue anymore, Mystique will probably join the Avengers in the next year or two, Modok and Deathbird aren't that dangerous anymore and that leaves Carol with a watered down Crusher Creel and he just showed up for what in my opinion was a cameo appearance. Even if Ms. DeConick were allowed to craft a villain like the Joker another writer would probably snatch him up for a redemption storyline and Carol would be forced to be friends in a year.

I'd like to see Deconnick refit Superia as a threat for Carol. She impersonated Ms. Marvel on the Dark Avengers and formed a rivalry with Carol during New Avengers. She hasn't been used by any of the Captain America writers in years so Captain Marvel could be a good place to use her.

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    I'd like to see Deconnick refit Superia as a threat for Carol. She impersonated Ms. Marvel on the Dark Avengers and formed a rivalry with Carol during New Avengers. She hasn't been used by any of the Captain America writers in years so Captain Marvel could be a good place to use her.
    Superia is a perfect fit for Carol's rogues gallery, esp given her stint as Dark Ms Marvel. She's right there with Moonstone in the "dark reflection protagonist" archetype

Also looks like the shorter hair may become the standard over the long/short switchup that has dogged Carols new look as Captain Marvel.
    Link to Aadm Kubert's artwork for Avengers #4
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...id=4678&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by Game Show View Post
    Their heads, lips and noses are different. I think he did wrong by them giving them the same eyes and similar eyebrows.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

She has Mystique, one of the best villains, the Brood, J. Jonah Jameson and Deathbird.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    She has Mystique, one of the best villains, the Brood, J. Jonah Jameson and Deathbird.
    If you ask people to do a villain/hero association of those characters, how often do you think would Carol's name be mentioned? She needs more villains to call her own

I'm not familiar with Superia, but from the wiki it sounds like she'd be a good choice to add to Carol's rogues gallery. Doesn't seem to have too much history with Captain America that would be a hindrance to a transition as a Captain Marvel villain

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Of those JJJ isn't really a threat, the Brood are sort of everyones villains and I don't know about Deathbird. I thought she was dead. Mystique will probably join either Cyclops X-men team or the Uncanny Avengers in a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    It'd be nice if she could develop a few but it would be good if she could use someone elses for an issue or two. I mentioned earlier that Batwoman was what I was buying because of the storyline and art, but last week I picked up Catwoman and the contest between Catwoman and the Joker was something that I haven't seen and I don't think I ever will see with Carol. In the shifting kaleidoscope of right and wrong and the casual betrayals that comprise the heroes and villains of the marvel universe you can't have a story like that. The writers are too fond of villain redemption stories. When I think of Carol and enemies I think of Rogue, Mystique and maybe Modok or Deathbird. Of those 4 someone has decided that Carol isn't allowed to hate Rogue anymore, Mystique will probably join the Avengers in the next year or two, Modok and Deathbird aren't that dangerous anymore and that leaves Carol with a watered down Crusher Creel and he just showed up for what in my opinion was a cameo appearance. Even if Ms. DeConick were allowed to craft a villain like the Joker another writer would probably snatch him up for a redemption storyline and Carol would be forced to be friends in a year.
    Mark, I actually picked up the last few issues of Batwoman after you wrote why it was better than Captain Marvel and I have to admit that I like it but comparing the two is apples and origami. Batwoman is a capable non-metahuman in the presence of a celebrity goddess. Carol is a capable meta-human who isn’t starstruck by a Thor or Captain America. I totally respect why you like your characters humble (it’s why I like Rogue and Angel from Buffy) but it’s not like Batwoman is fighting A-list baddies either. You said that Cap was there to get Carol over. Same thing with Diana getting Kate over.

As for Catwoman …this is a closer comparison between Selina and Carol, but still reaching. They're both selfish, stubborn but good-natured. (and for what it's worth, I was pretty stunned at Selina's tolerance for Joker's abuse) I actually asked Kelly Sue what sort of Mystique we’d get and she said that she likes her Mystique bad, for what that’s worth. I think Superia is an excellent foil and Karla’s an excellent baddy though I’m fuzzy about her villain status.

I won’t argue the current writing climate of Marvel with their grey heroes/villains. It makes me happy that we can have a proper villain finally like Red Skull, but it’s also sad that he almost has to be over the top evil to be truly ‘evil.’

(P.S. thanks for the Batwoman recommendation!)

EDIT: Actually, I just thought of something...what if Rogue and Carol teamed up against Mystique? I remember when Carol's Mom was heartbroken that Rogue was being celebrated (rightfully) in a parade while her daughter (Carol) barely survived Rogue's assassination attempt. I think it'd be cool if Rogue had to fight her 'Mom,' and help the person she originally tried to assassinate. And double cool if Rogue actually apologized to Carol's Mom for almost killing her kid and erasing her memories and empathy for her family. I doubt we'll see it and I'm fine with Carol and Anna's current relationship, but it would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by albone; 11-28-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Check out my webcomic:
    Rival Angels
    The #1 Wrestling Webcomic
    CHECK OUT MY KICKSTARTER