Default Captain America's Bicentennial Battles

What exactly is in this treasury edition? I saw a source claim that original Barry (Windsor) Smith art was in it--how many pages?

Thanks!

It's all written and pencilled by Kirby. Smith inked the first ten or so pages of it.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

Besides BWS we also get John Romita and Herb Trimpe on inks ( a very nice fit as you might expect). I'll just add, if you are curious about it, and you like Kirby, this publication is one of his finest showcases for that great mid-70's period of his, in which his panels get ever larger and style more abstract.. It's a time travel book, so we get to see Jack show his stuff in all those genres in which he has garnered praise and recognition... everything from western to war to sci-fi.

If I get it, I'd be buying it for the Barry Smith, not the Kirby (though those Trimpe-inked pages sound very interesting!). How does Smith (of that era) look over Kirby? Any scanned pages anywhere?

Well, if you are a Smith completist and you wanted to add these 10 pages of art to your collection you probably wouldn't be disappointed. The layouts and pencils are obviously Kirby, but no doubt that inking comes from Barry Windsor Smith. It's hard to scan Treasury sized pages in my smallish scanner, but I managed a few panels. The foliage in that second scan could be straight out of Conan. I love that cool abstract Kirby architecture in the third sample.

Last edited by benday-dot; 11-24-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks for those scans.

As most probably know, Smith's early, early work at Marvel was very Kirby looking.

I don't have this Treasury, but I have some memory of the Smith inks, so maybe I saw them in the Jack Kirby Collector.

I think I have a Machine Man mini series that was drawn by Trimpe and inked by Smith. Wonderful art.
    Rehab is for Quitters

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak Kid View Post
    I think I have a Machine Man mini series that was drawn by Trimpe and inked by Smith. Wonderful art.
    Yeah, the art on that mini is first class. Are you familiar with that other example of Trimpe/Smith collaboration from a Ka-Zar episode in Astonishing Tales? It is equally fine. Those three artists.... Kirby, Smith and Trimpe... really do seem to have drunk from the same well at one point in their careers. Though, Kirby I suppose is really the source of it all.

I read this book. It was quite good but not very inspiring for me. One of the less stellar works of Kirby.

Awesome scans; many, many thanks. I agree totally about the foliage. High-energy work by Kirby, too. I'll have to find it!

Thanks again.

I was a big fan of Captain America at the time that Bicentennial Battles treasury edition came out, but I didn't enjoy Kirby's '70s work on Cap. Kirby was great on Fantastic Four and Mister Miracle and especially Kamandi, but his Cap was ridiculously beefy and constantly looked shocked. The only thing interesting about Bicentennial Battles was the introduction of Mister Buda, later known as the Contemplator and one of the Elders of the Universe. Even at that young age, Bicentennial Battles struck me as a cheap cash-in on the Bicentennial.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I acquired this one within the last couple of years as part of an eBay lot of Marvel Treasury Editions; having hated Kirby's mid-'70s Marvel output -- especially his (IMHO, of course) pathetic mishandlings of Capt. America & Black Panther -- I'm positive I never owned it before. Not to mention the fact that as a budding young anarchist (as opposed to the deteriorating old anarchist that I am now) I was quite put out with the whole Bicentennial foofaraw to begin with ...
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!