Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    of the CBR Illuminati! Sabrinaset's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FeminineMystique View Post
    Given that we have at least ONE pagan here on YABS, a little respect wouldn't hurt. It's not like these "Middle class college students" are forcing their beliefs down peoples throats like a lot of supposedly "Legitimate" organised religions do.
    Yeah ... personally, I'm thinking that denigrating someone who has a genuine belief in whatever religion they choose to follow in whatever way they choose to follow it as a mere race, rebellion, or familial issue, irregardless of how well they are able to do so, is probably not the best way to go here.

Senior Member Calvin Government's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Says you.

I personally believe I did something to tick her off back when I was an infant. It's the only logical explanation.
    Oh, I absolutely enraged her at some point, if the last year is any measure. So why stop now?
    Veronica Mars: After all these years, do you not instinctively fear me?

Read/RANT Comics Reviews

Probably just me. Zeus is afterall no more cruel than any other god, he's just more open about it. There is no "Zeus moves in mysterious ways", you know exactly where you stand with Zeus at all times. Generally that would be as far away as humanly possible.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Government View Post
    Oh, I absolutely enraged her at some point, if the last year is any measure. So why stop now?
    Hey, I have Asclepius on MY side!

I'm torn between trying to make it up to her, and insulting her.
    I mean, considering what's she's famous for, it might not make a difference.
    Hell, I might not have even ticked her off last time. I could have gotten flak for pleasing her somehow (no not in that way!).

Senior Member Calvin Government's Avatar

I'm torn between trying to make it up to her, and insulting her.
    I mean, considering what's she's famous for, it might not make a difference.
    Hell, I might not have even ticked her off last time. I could have gotten flak for pleasing her somehow (no not in that way!).
    I think the best you can do is pick a course and stay with it. Or veer wildly from it. Or not pick one at all.

Once of those options will surely occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrinaset View Post
    That's probably far, far safer than most other options.
    Veronica Mars: After all these years, do you not instinctively fear me?

Read/RANT Comics Reviews

Who's that?

I think the best you can do is pick a course and stay with it. Or veer wildly from it. Or not pick one at all.

Once of those options will surely occur.
    Wait, is she an attractive goddess?
    Cause we already know she's a little crazy, and you know what they say about crazy chicks...

Who's that?
    Greek god of medicine ... here!

Eh, I still prefer Ares.
    Then again, all I have running through my head is action scenes.
    So many decapitations and explosions...

Quote Originally Posted by diana_fan View Post
    My problem with religion is that it is inherently irrational. It asks that one believe, have *faith* in ideas, concepts, and beings when there is no possible way to prove their existence.

I guess my problem is more with faith, and extends up through the constructs built around it.

I'm not disrespecting anyone. But I'm also not going to respect what someone says because they read it in the Bible. To me, that's meaningless.
    Listen, I have as much trouble with the idea of faith as the next skeptic. I read Fear and Trembling over and over, trying to let Kierkegaard convince me that making a leap of faith is a reasonable (not even rational or logical) thing for someone to do, and I still don't get it.

But for every idiot who says that they believe the world was created in 7 days because the Bible says so, there are 10 more who believe that their deceased husband, or mother, or child is in Heaven watching over them because it says so in the Bible. I might think that's a placebo, but I'm not so damned pigheaded about my own beliefs that I would dream of trying to take it away from them.

I'm a little up in arms at this because I have many devout Christian friends-- all of them intelligent, rational, and compassionate people-- who get frustrated by the Sneering Atheist. And I get frustrated with the Sneering Atheist because they give the rest of us a bad name, by being as obtuse and dogmatic as the worst of the Evangelicals. They'll say shit like "Nothing good has come from religion, EVER."--a statement which anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of history or art could agree with without seeming like an uneducated dolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I see no particular reason to respect anyone who can't be bothered to actually know basic and accurate information about the tradition or faith they claim to subscribe to.
    Well, as an atheist, I don't measure religions by how factual they are (because very little about any religion is actually true). I measure them on a case-by-case basis based on how much inner peace and satisfaction an individual gets out of it. Because while I don't think their beliefs are necessarily "real", the fact is the human mind is an amazing organ, and on a psychological level, deep and steadfast belief can be better than facts. I might think prayer makes people feel good because the brain releases serotonin or dopamine or somesuch when they do it, while they believe that Yahweh or Allah or Odin is looking after them-- at the end of the day it doesn't matter which one (or both or neither) is happening. Either way, you get a happy and contented person who would otherwise not be. I could really give a flying toss whether they know that Yahweh used to be just one of a pantheon of Semetic gods, or that Christmas was really the birthday of Mithras, or are able toquote extensively from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, or perform an historically accurate Druidic funeral. It's really not that important.*

*(with the obvious caveat of "as long as they don't blow people up or tell me how to live my life.")

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    Cultural Studies and/or Women's Studies

Oh, I forgot to say, Post-Colonial lit.
    Some of which, though not all, adds up to "ho hum."

Flora Sassy Hossenfoss cedardryad's Avatar

I know the Celtic thing is pretty popular (though personally, I prefer their music more than their gods), but still, does any of them worship one of the more 'war' like gods? Particularly the male war gods. It seems unlikely to me, it would be cool to be proven wrong.

Do the Celts even have a version of Ares/Mars?
    Mostly there were war goddesses. Morrigan, Andraste, Macha, Badb, Medb.

Since the Celts had territories in Wales, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, France, Scotland there are different gods for specific regions as well as the whole.

http://www.mythome.org/Celticconcord.html#War

This guy seems to be the equivalent.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belatu-Cadros

And the Portuguese equivalent:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cariocecus

Gaulish Celts:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camulus

Briton:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocidius

Another gaulish one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segomo
    Last edited by cedardryad; 11-19-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cedardryad View Post
    I can't speak for Wiccans since there is a large amount of them, and at the moment there seems to be some division on how they do things. I know a few Wiccans and they all deal with their gods differently. Technically Wicca is a dueltheistic religion. They believe in a male and female deity, mostly of Celtic origin although there are some from other branches. My male Wiccan friend believes in the gods, as in they exist. All of the other pagan people I know believe in the gods as in they do exist., and they take them very seriously.

Some Wiccans believe that all gods are the same. Artemis would be Venus, Zeus and Odin might be seen as the same god to people trying to get people off their case about how different all religions are and how we can't be united. Some invading cultures will see similarities in another culture's gods and use that to relate to them or even possibly be able to successfully convert them. Some people are more inclined to believe that all gods are individuals.

Reconstructionists also take their gods really seriously and don't call on them for petty things. Or call on them to do their bidding.

Like it was mentioned before rural communities will worship local gods as it was always done.

I believe there are still some places in Portugal where the local goddess of fountains and such, is still worshiped or even still has offerings made to her. I forget her name.
    This is how I understood it, but I wasn't sure. Thank you!

Actually, you seem more like an Apollo person to me.

I mean, Apollo has medicine in his portfolio too. But he also has archery (which you can equate with your love of guns), the arts (you draw a lot), and he's a blond, too.

In fact, are we sure that Bree isn't Apollo roaming the Earth as a woman?

Flora Sassy Hossenfoss cedardryad's Avatar

From what I know of from one of my Wiccan friends, I don't see why a Wiccan couldn't worship a war god.

Many Wiccans do the whole love and light thing, failing to remember that their religion is about balance. You can't have all light and rainbows there has to be some darkness in there too.

Some Wiccans do do blood magic and are on the more serious side of Wicca, some going into the left hand path of it. (Darker side). This doesn't mean they sacrifice animals, it just means that they use their own blood.

This all sounds weird after playing Dragon Age where there are mentions of blood magic, Andraste and a Morrigan.

They have patron gods and some are called by a certain god, and some just pick a god they relate to. In some cases they can be "called" upon by a god that isn't of the Celtic pantheon that they are familiar with.