Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: FIRST LOOK: "Human Target" #1

CBR presents this exclusive first look at the cover and solicitations for DC Comics' "Human Target" #1, by Len Wein and Bruno Redondo with a back-up story written by the FOX TV show's executive producer Peter Johnson.

Full article here.

So wait...DC is releasing a, more mainstream I guess, Human Target comic to support the TV series based on the Vertigo series by Milligan? Does Milligan own the character/concept? Did DC license it from him? I'm interested, but, also, headache.

Quote Originally Posted by s1rude View Post
    So wait...DC is releasing a, more mainstream I guess, Human Target comic to support the TV series based on the Vertigo series by Milligan? Does Milligan own the character/concept? Did DC license it from him? I'm interested, but, also, headache.
    No Strude, Human Target predates its Vertigo adaption by Milligan. Chris Chance first appeared back in '72 in Action comics, written by Len Wein (so this series is actually by the creator of the character).

I'm happy to see this, but also sad that this probably means there will be no more Milligan Target work forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hackett View Post
    No Strude, Human Target predates its Vertigo adaption by Milligan. Chris Chance first appeared back in '72 in Action comics, written by Len Wein (so this series is actually by the creator of the character).

I'm happy to see this, but also sad that this probably means there will be no more Milligan Target work forthcoming.
    Ahh, did not know that. Thanks for the info! It is unfortunate that the Milligan/Vertigo Target is no more.

What was the "twist" (if you will) to the Vertigo version? Did the DC Universe/Len Wein character not so much become the target (at least as I gather by the Fox promos)?

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

Ahh, did not know that. Thanks for the info! It is unfortunate that the Milligan/Vertigo Target is no more.

What was the "twist" (if you will) to the Vertigo version? Did the DC Universe/Len Wein character not so much become the target (at least as I gather by the Fox promos)?
    It mostly dealt with Chance dealing with the psychological issues of taken on the identities of different people and losing himself. It was a brilliant series that was sadly cut short, though Milligan did end the book and get a chance to tie up the loose ends.
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.

What was the "twist" (if you will) to the Vertigo version?
    It was just a more adult take on the concept, with sex, drugs and violence, and the aforementioned psychological look at the character (and what his job has done to his own personality).
    More like the couple of takes that Vertigo has done on Unkown Soldier, than a complete change like with The Sandman.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Thanks errybuddy. I think I asked my question backwards (having read a couple of volumes of Milligan's target, I know what that is, but wasn't sure how Wein played it in the 70s), but I've gotten the scoop from your answers.