View Poll Results: Is Bendis' Avengers run the best?

Voters
722. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, it's my favorite

158 21.88%
  • It's great, but there are a few other runs I like more

134 18.56%
  • It's ok, but nowhere near the best

176 24.38%
  • I don't like Bendis' Avengers.

254 35.18%
Page 127 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2100

I don't like Bendis' Avengers sums it up best.

I think he just overstayed his welcome. It was fun for quite a long time and it certainly boosted the Avengers' profile, but things just started repeating themselves.

For instance, that last arc of New Avengers was just embarrassing.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't see how the notion of him being a warrior of death is a BS statement.

Consort of death or whatever might be a better term as far as describing his feelings for death, but warrior seems accurate enough too. He IS a warrior, and he often fights on deaths behalf.

The fact that there is THIS much debate over the notion frankly comes off as needlessly nitpicky to me.
    Agreed.

Dude has an intimate relationship with Death. Literally. Picking out the "warrior" part is, like you said, needlessly nitpicky.

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Agreed.

Dude has an intimate relationship with Death. Literally. Picking out the "warrior" part is, like you said, needlessly nitpicky.
    CBR forums in a nutshell

My biggest problem with Bendis' run is how he handles action scenes; he just doesn't write a good team dynamic. 70% of his fights scenes devolve into chaotic, spread sized brawls in which every character is entirely interchangeable. The thing is, I really enjoy the way Bendis writes one-on-one or one-on-team fights (Sentry round one, Collective, Ultron, even his Fear Itself tie ins were wonderful, imo), and occasionally (ie when Bendis isn't phoning it in), even those chaotic scenes work well (the breakout at the Raft, the Venom Bombs, Siege), but I feel like he lazily defaults to macabre craziness because he can't be bothered to come up with creative ways for the fights to go down. It's that style over substance approach that puts me off to many of his story lines.

I would REALLY like Hickman to take over post-Bendis and incorporate as many aspects of the Ultimates into the Avengers franchise as possible. A). He's been absolutely KILLING it over there and B). the scale that the military/super spy aspect brings to team books really clinches it for me. I recognize the need for the characters to remain true to their MU characterization and stuff (aside from maybe deputizing Hawkeye into SHIELD to match with the movie *cough*butreallytheUltimates*cough* version =D), but I feel like that shift is long overdue.

Maybe I'm asking for a bruising saying things like this on the Avengers board, but that's where I'm at. Or maybe I'm just bitter that we're losing Hickman :(.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

Hickman is my choice too now that it appears Marvel has assigned Pak to Antarctica.

and to add to your point, i would like thor to act more like he dose in the movies, he always to a have a stick up his ass in recent comics.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor51 View Post
    My biggest problem with Bendis' run is how he handles action scenes; he just doesn't write a good team dynamic. 70% of his fights scenes devolve into chaotic, spread sized brawls in which every character is entirely interchangeable. The thing is, I really enjoy the way Bendis writes one-on-one or one-on-team fights (Sentry round one, Collective, Ultron, even his Fear Itself tie ins were wonderful, imo), and occasionally (ie when Bendis isn't phoning it in), even those chaotic scenes work well (the breakout at the Raft, the Venom Bombs, Siege), but I feel like he lazily defaults to macabre craziness because he can't be bothered to come up with creative ways for the fights to go down. It's that style over substance approach that puts me off to many of his story lines.

I would REALLY like Hickman to take over post-Bendis and incorporate as many aspects of the Ultimates into the Avengers franchise as possible. A). He's been absolutely KILLING it over there and B). the scale that the military/super spy aspect brings to team books really clinches it for me. I recognize the need for the characters to remain true to their MU characterization and stuff (aside from maybe deputizing Hawkeye into SHIELD to match with the movie *cough*butreallytheUltimates*cough* version =D), but I feel like that shift is long overdue.

Maybe I'm asking for a bruising saying things like this on the Avengers board, but that's where I'm at. Or maybe I'm just bitter that we're losing Hickman :(.
    Does Hickman have anything lined up, cause it does seem like he's ending all his book. Him doing Avengers would be cool. Ultimates is as good an audition as anyone, and I think he's a great guy to transition from Bendis.

I don't know.

Okay, now that I brought it up, I'm actually kinda curious: would turning Hawkeye into an agent of SHIELD/black ops type character fly in the face of everything he's supposed to represent? Truth be told, he's one of my favorite characters in the UU, in large part because of his relationship with Fury and SHIELD. I thought this interpretation worked very well in the movies also. Thoughts? All I know about him is what Bendis has done with him, and apparently that's not the best benchmark .
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

Quote Originally Posted by taylor51 View Post
    I don't know.

Okay, now that I brought it up, I'm actually kinda curious: would turning Hawkeye into an agent of SHIELD/black ops type character fly in the face of everything he's supposed to represent? Truth be told, he's one of my favorite characters in the UU, in large part because of his relationship with Fury and SHIELD. I thought this interpretation worked very well in the movies also. Thoughts? All I know about him is what Bendis has done with him, and apparently that's not the best benchmark .
    Well, he does seem to enjoy dating spies. Black Widow, Mockingbird, Spider-Woman... so I guess becoming one might not be that much of a stretch. Given his track record and tastes, it's gotta be a great way for him to meet women.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen-aku View Post
    Hickman is my choice too now that it appears Marvel has assigned Pak to Antarctica.

and to add to your point, i would like thor to act more like he dose in the movies, he always to a have a stick up his ass in recent comics.
    Doesn't Pak have an upcoming X-Title? X-Treme X-Men, I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Lascoden View Post
    Doesn't Pak have an upcoming X-Title? X-Treme X-Men, I believe?
    dose he?

*Goggles*

siiigh that sound basically just like Exiles. i stand by my Antarctic stamaent

dose he?

*Goggles*

siiigh that sound basically just like Exiles. i stand by my Antarctic stamaent
    At least it looks interesting. The arc of Astonishing that it spun-off from was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lascoden View Post
    At least it looks interesting. The arc of Astonishing that it spun-off from was pretty good.
    if i wanted to read about alternate reality X-men i have ultimate X-men then Age of apocalypse why would i read this even if it is by one of my favorite writers

Sigh i guess after herc vol2 and alpha flight i really can't blame marvel for losing faith

if i wanted to read about alternate reality X-men i have ultimate X-men then Age of apocalypse why would i read this even if it is by one of my favorite writers

Sigh i guess after herc vol2 and alpha flight i really can't blame marvel for losing faith
    I kinda lost faith in him after Chaos War myself.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I kinda lost faith in him after Chaos War myself.
    same here.