View Poll Results: Is Bendis' Avengers run the best?

Voters
722. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, it's my favorite

158 21.88%
  • It's great, but there are a few other runs I like more

134 18.56%
  • It's ok, but nowhere near the best

176 24.38%
  • I don't like Bendis' Avengers.

254 35.18%
Page 3 of 140 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Pumpkin View Post
    I thoroughly disagree.

And I would argue that it is you, Sir, that is missing the point.
    Can you explain how New Avengers fits the same place in the MU as the Avengers did?

I mean inside continuity, not for Marvel as a publisher.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

ouch. my sides are bleeding.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Greatest reductio ad absurdum, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Second, while he did bring in a large number of new fans and has made the book a consistant top seller, he did that by ignoring everything that made the Avengers the Avengers. He has publicly stated that he doesn't like most of the characters that ARE the Avengers, and has either just ignored them or badly mangled their characters.
    Great points, especially the part that I quoted above. It's revealing that many fans of New Avengers practically brag about how they never liked the Avengers until Bendis wrote them. That's because Bendis never liked the Avengers either, and basically gave them the boot in favor of a squad of his favorite characters. His run started with Disassembled, which is a bad story by any reasonable standard, and a freaking nightmare for real Avengers fans. He tore down Earth's Mightiest Heroes because he is more comfortable writing street-level characters, so even guys like Doctor Strange get taken down several notches when written by Bendis.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

No. While I have admittedly been enjoying Dark Avengers, beyond that exception Bendis' prior Avengers work is definitely not to my taste. His debut, the slapdash "let's clear out the old guard" Avengers: Disassembled was downright insulting to followers of the Avengers books, and the followup adventures of his cash-cow dream team were just style-over-substance, banter-heavy fanfic, imo. Wouldn't have had much of a problem with the whole thing if he had just called his new team something else, but "The Avengers" they were most certainly not. At least with the Dark Avengers, you know upfront that they're only pretending to be The Avengers.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. - Robert Heinlen

While I consider Millar's Ultimates the pinnacle of Avenger stories, I will say that I really do enjoy Bendis on the books. I haven't really read any other runs of the title so I guess he would have to be up there...
    Live Comics. Love Comics.

"Don't ever be afraid to be a fan." - Jason Aaron

I can't believe anyone would say it is the best unless they haven't read alot of the Avengers.

I voted for the first option, but I don't really have anything to compare the Bendis Avengers to. I wasn't an Avengers fan during my first go around with comics in the 80s. I knew who they were, but really only went out of my way to read Spider-Man comics back then. When I got back into comics around the start of Civil War, New Avengers was one of the comics recommended to me and I liked what I read.

I've since had the chance to go and read some older Avengers stories and I didn't dislike any of them, but nothing stuck with me enough to continue on.

Ahh...Knew this was coming..

You're not an Avengers fan if you happen to like Bendis Avengers or you never read the Avengers beforehand.

Well, I've been a regular Avengers reader since Monica Rambeau joined the team. That puts me as a reader who first knew the Avengers under Stern during the 80s.

For me personally, the only writer from then to now that I liked as much as Bendis is Stern himself.

Well I can definitely say Bendis is one of my favorite and this is my favorite avengers run, I'm wasn't a hardcore fan of avengers before hand but I did read a few runs, this is by far my favorite. Unlike what those complain about, I actually enjoy the titles. I like the fact that they sit down, chit chat and talk, and not have everything being POW, Smack, Thow! Everything in American comics does not need to be an action scene. He sets up great interaction between the characters, something I rarely see in American comics and only primarily see them in manga.
    Plus, he has a great love for luke cage, that, without bendis, nobody would be using. He would be as much of a disappearing at as blue marvel is currently. So yes, he is my favorite, and for the exact reasons that contradict why many individuals here don't like him.
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

I've enjoyed it, although i think its only now reached a point where it can be considered one of the best. Dissassembled was pretty dire, and New Avengers alienated alot of old-school fans. However i think the current set up with an "All-stars" team and a "Classic" team works really well, and i enjoy it alot.

Strathcona is putting it down, SON!!!!
    But yeah, Bendis sucks.
    With the Ninjas and the long running fight with the dude wearing a snuggie on his head as the main villains it really gives a bad impression to the World's Greatest Heroes. I mean..... The Backward Snuggie's offensive power is...... to use two guns.......

At the risk of upsetting the "Nostalgia Brigade"...I agree that there have been writers in the past that've done some great AVENGERS stories but the team and the concept needed a shot in the arm...badly. The book was floundering for quite awhile. You can point to the Buisek/Perez team as a high point but that was quite a while ago with the writers following that creative team (including Buisek without Perez) not exactly setting the comics world on fire.

Bendis came on board and brought much needed excitement to the book. Is it the same AVENGERS that we'd seen before? No. And thank goodness for that. A book shouldn't hold on to something that's outdated and/or gets ignored just for the sake of being consistant to what it was. Obviously, Bendis did and continues to do something with the books that strikes a note with a large number of fans.

I'm gonna be that guy that brings up the "It must be good because it sells" theory. No, sales don't measure "quality". They measure something more important...enjoyment. The Bendis AVENGERS sell well because a large amount of people enjoy them. A lot of people dig what he's doing and the sales reflect that. You can argue what you think is "quality" until you're blue in the face and in the end it doesn't matter at all. In the end it's all about doing a book the most fans enjoy and support.

I know some of you will back a nostalgic concept that isn't working all the way to cancellation rather than see it change and actually work in another form. But it's that type of narrow thinking that keeps some low selling books from becoming the hits they could become.

I'm pretty confident that Bendis' Avengers run will be viewed, in hindsight, along the same lines as Liefeld's output and a lot of the 90s. People will kind of embarrassingly admit they read it, hide it in dusty longboxes, and you'll see it $1 bins.

Also, I never read the older Avengers so I'm hardly a victim of nostalgia. I did try reading the Kree/Skrull War and found it to be pretty much par for the course as far as older superhero comics go, slightly unreadable.

Quote Originally Posted by AllisterH View Post
    Ahh...Knew this was coming..

You're not an Avengers fan if you happen to like Bendis Avengers or you never read the Avengers beforehand.

Well, I've been a regular Avengers reader since Monica Rambeau joined the team. That puts me as a reader who first knew the Avengers under Stern during the 80s.

For me personally, the only writer from then to now that I liked as much as Bendis is Stern himself.
    Yeah... I find it kind of annoying when people imply that people who like Bendis book aren't old school Avengers fans, or real Avengers fans or whatever.

Also agree about Stern... I think that's my favorite Avengers run. I like Bendis, but he's a bit uneven at times. And I liked Busiek... but I can't shake the feeling that a big part of the appeal for that run was the naustalgia and the Perez art.