Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Wonder of Wonders - Nov 12, 2009

This week's installment of WAR & PEACE takes a look through Wonder Woman's vast array of weaponry, armor and equipment and answers the age old question: where does she get all those wonderful toys?

Full article here.

Herm...I seem to remember that Hippolyta also had a telepathic connection with the invisible plane when she was Wonder Woman...

Great article, Bobby!

Excellent work, Bobby! :-)
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

Default about the tiara star and the plane

Great work!

One question: has it ever been shown in the comic that the tiara star was part of the functioning of the mental radio? That was something they concocted for the TV show, but I don't remember it being part of the comic.

In the Golden Age, anyone with access to a mental radio was able to use it -- there was no role for the tiara in particular, because Steve and Etta both had access to mental radios and used them for telepathic contact. Additionally, it seemed that heavy users of the mental radio were able to send signals out to mental radios without needing a MR for transmission -- so, if Steve, Etta, or WW were captured and needed to send out an SOS, they could do so. In each case, their telepathic out-message was depicted as a kind of electric-tail word balloon, with the end of the tail pointing to the character's forehead; since Diana's out-bound message had the word balloon pointing to her tiara star (her forehead), I think it led to this misconception about the tiara's role, even though the convention was applied equally to Steve and Etta.

As for the plane, I just wanted to note that in later pre-Crisis issues (Mishkin era), Steve was allowed to call for the plane telepathically as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vaffrey View Post
    Great work!

One question: has it ever been shown in the comic that the tiara star was part of the functioning of the mental radio? That was something they concocted for the TV show, but I don't remember it being part of the comic.

In the Golden Age, anyone with access to a mental radio was able to use it -- there was no role for the tiara in particular, because Steve and Etta both had access to mental radios and used them for telepathic contact. Additionally, it seemed that heavy users of the mental radio were able to send signals out to mental radios without needing a MR for transmission -- so, if Steve, Etta, or WW were captured and needed to send out an SOS, they could do so. In each case, their telepathic out-message was depicted as a kind of electric-tail word balloon, with the end of the tail pointing to the character's forehead; since Diana's out-bound message had the word balloon pointing to her tiara star (her forehead), I think it led to this misconception about the tiara's role, even though the convention was applied equally to Steve and Etta.

As for the plane, I just wanted to note that in later pre-Crisis issues (Mishkin era), Steve was allowed to call for the plane telepathically as well.
    Welcome vaffrey!
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

Stiff upper lip, chaps. Mars Getsoian's Avatar

Well, the amazons call it a Lansinarian plane because Diana got it from the Lansinarians, back when it was still just technology. So calling it "the Lansinarian" almost makes sense; it's a person, sort of, that used to live in Lansinar. Though I have to say, Luke's weird retcon of it as being a sentient critter will never cease to baffle me... I suppose on the whole, it's a slightly better message about Diana and the amazons in general if it's a living creature that's befriended them than if it's technology they got from a superior species.

I still say it was best pre-Crisis when it was something the Themysciran amazons actually designed and built themselves, though. Everything else about the evolution of the amazons over time makes sense to me, even when I don't like it, but I really don't even get how we got from "can build an invisible robot plane" to "don't even have indoor plumbing."
    Last edited by Mars Getsoian; 11-12-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

The invisible plane also responded to Trevor Barnes' telepathic orders during Simonson's run, so Diana's exclusivity is up for debate.

Also, as far as the "Sword of Hephasteus"...

Has it ever been called that outside of Kingdome Come. I mean. Diana in KC made a big deal about it, but that was a future Diana, and Kal was unfamiliar with it. Has it ever been stated that the the sword that Diana has been lugging around is that same sword (from another reality)?

Wow, this article almost lost me *right away* with the whole attempt to find sexual meaning in the word "paraphernalia". That's NOT the proper way to start an article, even if it was meant humorously. Remember that next time.

As for the rest, it was just a listing of stuff, most of which I knew about already, and some of it sounds dangerously like it was picked off Wikipedia (not a 100% respectable source.) Not to mention that it makes Diana sound almost like a Mary Sue. Diana never had all those devices at the same time, you know; some even belonged to different versions of the character!

Sorry but ultimately I did not enjoy the article. Better luck next time.

Professional Scouser MadJohnFinn's Avatar
    Second star to the right... and straight on 'til morning.

Excellent work, Bobby. That's a fine article.

Great work!

There's the odd scene, like this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v1_286_detail.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	57698

Interesting piece, Robert, Diana has had an awful lot of toys down the incarnations. I miss the mental radio, I can't recall the last time we saw it used.

If I could have one thing from Diana's arsenal cum jewelry box it'd be the Sandals of Hermes, though I'd have to butch them up a tad.

Re: the tiara: 'She often utilizes it as a razor-sharp boomerang to stun, lacerate or decapitate her opponents.' I'd argue with that 'often' in terms of beheading opponents, you make Di sound terrifying!
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Getsoian View Post
    I still say it was best pre-Crisis when it was something the Themysciran amazons actually designed and built themselves, though.
    Wasn't there one pre-Crisis origin of the plane in which it was a transformed Pegasus? How very Fortress Lad (sob).

Great work!

Thanks, everyone.

Hi Vaffrey, to answer your question: Yes, there is a post-Crisis comic in which Diana uses the Mental Radio to contact her mother:

GREEN LANTERN #108:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/comicbooks/item?IID=4925241
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sijo View Post
    Wow, this article almost lost me *right away* with the whole attempt to find sexual meaning in the word "paraphernalia". That's NOT the proper way to start an article, even if it was meant humorously. Remember that next time.
    I didn't find any problem with it at all. I thought the introduction of the article was interesting especially given that Wonder Woman's original stories focused on themes such as bondage (sexual).

I'm not speaking for Bobby but the whole "Remember that next time" comes across as rude.

As for the rest, it was just a listing of stuff, most of which I knew about already, and some of it sounds dangerously like it was picked off Wikipedia (not a 100% respectable source.) Not to mention that it makes Diana sound almost like a Mary Sue. Diana never had all those devices at the same time, you know; some even belonged to different versions of the character!
    I don't think the article, as a source of information, is set up for those that know about Wonder Woman. It's more to introduce some details to those who are new to Wonder Woman or haven't had a chance to read through most of her history.

Aside from the Gauntlet of Atlas (which does belong to Diana) which items belonged to other versions of the character?

Artemis & Cassie both used the Sandals of Hermes after Diana had used them.

Hippolyta used the Invisible Jet & Gauntlet of Atlas after Diana.

Sorry but ultimately I did not enjoy the article. Better luck next time.
    I loved it. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by 4PointOh View Post
    Hi Vaffrey, to answer your question: Yes, there is a post-Crisis comic in which Diana uses the Mental Radio to contact her mother:
    I asked that one, thanks so much. I think I have that issue but remember nothing . . . what's new?

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I asked that one, thanks so much. I think I have that issue but remember nothing . . . what's new?
    Mart!

Long time no hear! How are you?

It's funny because I was just about to sink my teeth into your article now that I have a moment.

Cheers!
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.