Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Nov 9, 2009

While organizing and sorting through his comic book collection, Tim unearths a rare comic-related artifact from decades ago and reminds us all that comic books and classrooms didn't always mix.

Full article here.

I just read New X-Men recently, and I found Kordy's finished work off-putting but his pencils in the backmatter actually just fine. So as you say, it's his brushwork.

You can say that Kordey is better than Sciver or Grant, but #'1 124 & 125 tell a very different story.
    It's defenselessly bad art work.
    Sure, the story telling is still clearer than a Rob Liefeld comic, but I'd still probably rather look at a Rob Liefeld comic than that.

That said, I blame the editor for it - Kordey is a fine artist, just not in his New X-Men work.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

" Do we have much from Marvel or DC this season that's even close?"

Two words: DOOM PATROL

And one acronym: R.E.B.E.L.S.
    Last edited by Squashua; 11-09-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashua View Post
    " Do we have much from Marvel or DC this season that's even close?"

Two words: DOOM PATROL

And one acronym: R.E.B.E.L.S.
    Up there with New X-Men, Final Crisis and DKSA?

Neither is even close... all three of those were highly anticipated titles, with top level creators, that all broke the internet in their own way - and were some damn good comics.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

I met Igor Kordey once. He used to pick up his comics at the same place I do.

A nice guy. Terrific artist.

DC or Marvel should be using him more often.

Quote Originally Posted by bookguy View Post
    I met Igor Kordey once. He used to pick up his comics at the same place I do.

A nice guy. Terrific artist.

DC or Marvel should be using him more often.

His European work is amazing!
    ADVERTISE HERE!

BANNED

This is funny, I actually did the same thing as Tim C(minus the DKSA stuff, that artwork makes Kordley look like Frank Quitely). I'm pretty jealous that you have the whole run in Omnibus form

We sure that this is the correct usage of "decompression"? Taking a book that's over a hundred pages and retelling it in a digest sized comic book would be compressing the storyline, not decompressing it, ridding the story of exteraneous detail that is not relevant to the story being told. Decompression is taking a scene that could be told in a few panels and then stretching them out to fill up pages, such as three pages of Batman putting on his costume then driving across town with nary a bit of text that actually progresses the story any.

I had and/or read a few of these books: Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, Red Badge of Courage. I think in every one, the artists was one of the Philipino invasion artists of the 70s. Alfred Alcala sticks in my mind.

I believe all of the pages from that instructional booklet posted were from a line of classics illustrated and sold to schools and libraries. These were digest-sized, black and white books. My school had a lot of them when I was growing up. A lot of those books were reprinted in color, years later, as Marvel Classics Comics, a series that lasted 36 issues.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com

It's decompressed storytelling on a page-by-page basis, but with a significantly abridged plot.

It's abridged decompression!!!

Why all the exclamation points? Because this new term will take the internet by storm.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Reviews -- My CBR Reviews/Articles
    GeniusboyFiremelon -- My Blog

Kordey has done fine work, but his work gets ugly real fast when he hasn't got enough time and to be honest, his work on some X-Men issues was horrible and part of the reason I sold my New X-Men collection, after reading it only one time. He really shouldn't have accepted work he wasn't able to do properly.
    To be honest I never understood what was supposed to be so great about it anyway.
    Basically Morrison turned some characters into standard Morrison creature's and told stories, which bordered on the ridiculous (how do you simulate healing powers with mastery of magnetism? And how do you live with a black hole as your head?)
    And DKSB? Worst artwork by Miller I'd ever seen and a story which was a perfect fit to it.

Final Crisis started out stron but ended, oh so very weak.

Basically I have to say, we have lots of better comics right now. If Johns doesn't stumble over the end Blackest Night will be lot more enjoyable than Final Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by die_yng View Post
    Kordey has done fine work, but his work gets ugly real fast when he hasn't got enough time and to be honest, his work on some X-Men issues was horrible and part of the reason I sold my New X-Men collection, after reading it only one time. He really shouldn't have accepted work he wasn't able to do properly.
    So you blame the artist who is new to the scene and desperate to please, and not the editor who got to the point of needing an issue turned around in a week?
    To be honest I never understood what was supposed to be so great about it anyway.
    That it opened with the best first page an X-Men story, heck most comics, has ever had, and never let up from there?
    Basically Morrison turned some characters into standard Morrison creature's
    Yeah, Cyclops being repressed and scared and emotionally detached is barely a stones throw from Lord Fanny and King Mob.
    and told stories, which bordered on the ridiculous (how do you simulate healing powers with mastery of magnetism? And how do you live with a black hole as your head?)
    Well first off, it's a superhero story - you accept stuff like this in books that were written before you were born every time you read one.
    If it was all possible, we'd have superheroes - they are based on the impossible.

Secondly, you've asked two questions which sort of contradict each other, as both come from the same character, who was lying.
    No one lived with a black hole as their head - not that there would have been a problem with that happening in a superhero story, it's a superhero story after all - he just said he had a black hole as his head.
    To use healing powers with magnetism, he controlled the same metal elements in people Magneto does when he picks someone up and throws them across a room.
    The only big, long lasting healing he did was to Professor X, and it went away when he stopped doing it.

And heck, I'm surprised you actually followed the last four issues, which revealed the true threat of the run, if the Xorn reveal caused so much grief.
    ADVERTISE HERE!