View Poll Results: Short list of according to posts, the most overrated Batman stories

Voters
501. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • The Killing joke

66 13.17%
  • The Dark Knight returns (Why's it here?)

86 17.17%
  • The Long Halloween

38 7.58%
  • Hush

113 22.55%
  • R.I.P

76 15.17%
  • Arkham Asylum

44 8.78%
  • Son of the Demon

12 2.40%
  • Year one(apparently?)

22 4.39%
  • A Death in the Family

44 8.78%
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
    Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    What's the hate on Officer Down, anyway?

It's not the biggest story, or the definitive Bat-comic or anything, but I remember liking it alright. It was cool. Or, I thought it was cool What am I forgetting?
    Batman spends the entire arc standing at Gordon's sickbed being a jerk to everyone who is actually doing anything. If he had done something it would still be a cliched, mediocre story, but it would simply be forgotten, not hated.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I used to feel that way a bit about the Burton movies, but over the years, having become a bigger and bigger fan of that first year of Batman comics, I think Batman '89 and Batman Returns capture a lot of the dark surreality of the earliest stories.
    They certainly capture his early attitude towards killing.
    I didn't feel either movie had a plot, hence why I condier the stories themselves overrrated. But they're not bad by any means. Their strengths just lie in other areas.

So I just started reading comics this year so I'm a bit of a noob :) But really what is the big deal about Batman Year One? I would consider it to be the most over rated Batman book I have read so far. Maybe I missed out on it's "greatness" by being exposed to the Bat world a bit through Nolan's movies and other media outlets, but the story is so flat...Bruce Wayne discovers the final piece to his crime fighting puzzle by becoming a bat, sucks at it at first witch is to be expected. While Gordon struggles being seemingly the only good cop in such a corrupt city. A mutual need for each other eventually turns them into allies and the story ends. Did I miss something? Was I screwed over having already known the jist of the story going into it? Am I just stoooopiiid? Seriously though why is it put on such a pedestal?

Definitely Killing Joke. I read it and was all, "That was it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
    But really what is the big deal about Batman Year One?....Maybe I missed out on it's "greatness" by being exposed to the Bat world a bit through Nolan's movies and other media outlets... Was I screwed over having already known the jist of the story going into it?
    This is exactly your problem.

You've been exposed to all the great things that have come out of "Year One," and so now looking back, the source of it all no longer seems profound by comparison. Seinfeld is Unfunny.

"Year One" is what it is - the tale of Batman's first battles, the story of Gordon's arrival to Gotham, and the manner in which their relationship - and eventual friendship - is formed.

It's nothing special to us now, as we've seen the origins of Batman and Gordon explored many times since - in "Mask of the Phantasm" and "Batman Begins," in flashbacks and other tales set in the "Year One" era, and in Elseworlds tales.

But consider - when it was first published, in the late 80s, Batman had been in comics for about 50 years. And in all that time, no amount of depth had yet been given to Batman's "first" battles nor his relationship with Gordon. It was groundbreaking and special for its time.

And while it may not seem as groundbreaking now, given what has come from it, it's still a good story - well-told and beautifully rendered, even if it doesn't seem quite as special to newcomers. Which is why it holds up well, despite being the start of so much more that has evolved from it.

Arkham Asylum would have been a block-flipping-buster as a series of profile pages.(Trying to wean Harvey off the coin by giving him things to give him more choices? Brilliant!) As something they charged me twenty-five dollars for? Not so much.

Hush is a pretty pictures greatest hits. Infinitely unforgettable.

I understood RIP. Hated it anyway, thanx. He was the Devil. He lied about Bruce's entire family. Pointy ears beat him, then the New God who was supposed to take the Devil's place killed him, but not quite. Not that difficult to understand. Hated! It!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the Eviltoadman View Post
    Arkham Asylum would have been a block-flipping-buster as a series of profile pages.(Trying to wean Harvey off the coin by giving him things to give him more choices? Brilliant!) As something they charged me twenty-five dollars for? Not so much.

Hush is a pretty pictures greatest hits. Infinitely unforgettable.

I understood RIP. Hated it anyway, thanx. He was the Devil. He lied about Bruce's entire family. Pointy ears beat him, then the New God who was supposed to take the Devil's place killed him, but not quite. Not that difficult to understand. Hated! It!
    Apparently you didn't understand it if that is your summary. If you hate RIP, you hate Batman.

The most overrated, though? Death in the Family. I read that immediately after The Killing Joke last week and its sad seeing how poor it holds up. Jason's entire life is a series of sad coincidences that just happen to lead him on an unlikely scavenger hunt with Batman. Meanwhile, none of Batman's information resources appear to be working, so they just hop around and bother strange women so Jason can cry all over someone.

Then he dies in a really empty uncomfortable scene, especially given that the art still looked like something from 1975.

I really think Lobdell fixed Jason's history with his little retcon/summary in #0.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    Apparently you didn't understand it if that is your summary. If you hate RIP, you hate Batman.

The most overrated, though? Death in the Family. I read that immediately after The Killing Joke last week and its sad seeing how poor it holds up. Jason's entire life is a series of sad coincidences that just happen to lead him on an unlikely scavenger hunt with Batman. Meanwhile, none of Batman's information resources appear to be working, so they just hop around and bother strange women so Jason can cry all over someone.

Then he dies in a really empty uncomfortable scene, especially given that the art still looked like something from 1975.

I really think Lobdell fixed Jason's history with his little retcon/summary in #0.
    Jim Aparo's art in Death in the Family is the only thing that saves the story for me.
    Life looks better in black and white.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post

Indeed, can't agree more.

Enlighten me, not being sarcastic, I came looking to find out if I was being a curmudgeon about this stuff I used to live and breathe. I'd love to hear some actual opposing viewpoints to mine.

especially given that the art still looked like something from 1975.
    That was the printing. DeCarlo wasn't the best match for Aparo, but NOBODY liked the Flexographic printing. Booster Gold looks like crap and Perez was ready to quit COIE over it.
    Last edited by the Eviltoadman; 11-06-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: misspelling

The Killing Joke: I really like how Alan Moore humanizes the Joker (well, as much as he can be humanized, anyway). He makes you actually feel for him while still showing how sick and twisted Joker really is. I say this one lives up to the hype.
    The Dark Knight Returns: Honestly, I think this one might be the most overrated. The first time I read it, I thought the art was ugly (I only got used to it after reading Sin City) and the story was very, I don't know, weird? Yes, the book had a huge impact on comic books when it first came out, but I found it to be disappointing.
    The Long Halloween: Love it. I love the art, I love the mystery, I love the story; it's cinematic, pure and simple. Definitely not overrated.
    Hush: This was my first mainstream Bat-title, so I might be biased. Is it overrated? Well, yes and no: the art is stunning beyond words, but the story is lacking any real plot or dramatic buildup. Although it did put Catwoman and Batman together, which is nice.
    R.I.P: This was just a 'meh' story for me. I didn't actually realize it was all that hyped in the first place, so I can't really judge if it's overrated or not.
    Arkham Asylum: I can definitely understand why some people feel this one's overrated, but I'll admit that I love it to bits. The art is fantastically dark and moody, and the symbolism is really nice, albeit a bit overboard (when you need to but the script in the back of the book for your readers to get the story, you've taken things a little far).
    Son of the Demon: Wasn't this one put out of continuity with "Batman and Son"? I never read it myself, so I've no opinion on it.
    Year One: No way is this overrated. This is THE Batman story. We wouldn't be anywhere without this gem.
    Death in the Family: The Joker being prime minister thing was beyond stupid, and the story definitely feels outdated. I'd say it's overrated, but then again it's kind of satisfying to see Jason get beat to death with a crowbar. Of course now he has his own title when fan-favorites like Stephanie Brown and Cass Cain are nowhere to be seen, but that's a rant for another thread.

Well, those are my thoughts. Agree/disagree?

DeCarlo was completely the wrong inker for Aparo. Although, yeah, that new (back then) printing ruined a lot of books for both DC and Marvel before they started figuring things out. It made everything look horrible.

But DeCarlo was the bigger problem. He was a good inker but a terrible match for Aparo. Not the worst match... because the worst inker Aparo ever got was Fernandez on Green Arrow in the mid-'90s. Holy crap, was that misjudged. But that guy was just a bad inker in general. DeCarlo was a skilled, talented inker whose style just didn't mesh well with Aparo.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanBrony View Post
    Arkham Asylum: I can definitely understand why some people feel this one's overrated, but I'll admit that I love it to bits. The art is fantastically dark and moody, and the symbolism is really nice, albeit a bit overboard (when you need to but the script in the back of the book for your readers to get the story, you've taken things a little far).
    In all fairness, I think the script makes it pretty apparent that a lot of the symbolism and intended imagery was lost when the artist decided simply to omit it or change things around. Making the inclusion of the script a welcome addition.

I haven't ead all of the titles on the list, but of the ones I have I'd have to go with The Killing Joke. While it is by no means the worst of the bunch, it did leave me underwhelmed considering all the rave reviews I read of it beforehand. I was expecting more from it.