View Poll Results: Short list of according to posts, the most overrated Batman stories

Voters
501. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • The Killing joke

66 13.17%
  • The Dark Knight returns (Why's it here?)

86 17.17%
  • The Long Halloween

38 7.58%
  • Hush

113 22.55%
  • R.I.P

76 15.17%
  • Arkham Asylum

44 8.78%
  • Son of the Demon

12 2.40%
  • Year one(apparently?)

22 4.39%
  • A Death in the Family

44 8.78%
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dregj View Post
    batman year one without a doubt over rated. shame too all that great drama with gordon and his corrupt colleges then a giant non-ending.
    I can't agree with the non-ending at all. It is a low key ending certainly, but there are so many stories that choose to climax with a big battle. In Year One, Miller made a brilliant move by ending with <SPOILER ALERT> a simple scene of Batman (out of costume) saving Gordon's son and the two of them reaching a mutual agreement on how to work together. That was the missing thing from the origin and it made a perfect ending.

Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    I loved the majority of Year One, but was I the only one who didn't realize I had just read the climax of the story until it was over?
    I can see how you might have felt that way. I did too, though to a lesser extant than you, probably.

I read it after "Batman Begins" came out, which was a loose adaptation of it. I could very much see the strands that they shared in common - but because "Batman Begins" ended with that climax, it made it really apparent that "Year One" had a much more low-key ending.
    Last edited by Haytil; 11-02-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Hush.

that's all
    Currently reading: Flash 227-Flashpoint

Quote Originally Posted by batman23 View Post
    Hush.

that's all
    No, YOU hush!

ASBAR for me. Hands down.

Why didn't it make the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Haytil View Post
    No, YOU hush!
    nah i'm good lol
    Currently reading: Flash 227-Flashpoint

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    ASBAR for me. Hands down.

Why didn't it make the list?
    Because nobody rates it high enough for it to be overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Because nobody rates it high enough for it to be overrated.
    Ha! Who the heck have I been arguing with then?

Son of the Demon should be omitted by that reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante Man View Post
    It's got to be Arkham Asylum. The premise is interesting but the comic is too bizarre for my taste and I just can't get into it. I do like "Gothic" by Morrison.
    On second thought, Gothic is pretty crazy for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    Son of the Demon should be omitted by that reasoning.
    I will agree with what you said, never heard recommendation for any of those 3 on the poll

Hush (all in all, theatrical garbage, but has entertaining merit, and something really good for Dini to work on during R.I.P time)
    R.I.P (inglorious garbage)
    Son of the Demon (good story, comes to a wrong conclusion and some stuff goes bad (not in storytelling) on the way)

The rest get high recommendation by so many
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Weird to come back to this thread and see I voted Arkham Asylum.

I can see what I was thinking when I voted, but the problem is that I've gone back and read it a couple times between then and now, and now I like the book quite a bit. To the point I'm considering double-dipping to pick up the Anniversary Edition that comes with the script.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

I consider the 'great' Batman stories to be actually great. So I don't consider any of the choices overrated relative to the praise they receive. Maybe The Killing Joke, but not by that much. I never thought it quite as definative as other people. And the stories I dislike seem to be pretty universally reviled, like Officer Down or War Games, with things like Knightfall falling comfortably in-between.

To me the most overrated Batman stories are the Burton movies. I think they're great treats for the eyes and ears but terrible stories, like a live action version of ASBAR, great art, bad story and bad Batman. I don't think they count though, since we only seem to be talking about comics.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I consider the 'great' Batman stories to be actually great. So I don't consider any of the choices overrated relative to the praise they receive. Maybe The Killing Joke, but not by that much. I never thought it quite as definative as other people. And the stories I dislike seem to be pretty universally reviled, like Officer Down or War Games, with things like Knightfall falling comfortably in-between.

To me the most overrated Batman stories are the Burton movies. I think they're great treats for the eyes and ears but terrible stories, like a live action version of ASBAR, great art, bad story and bad Batman. I don't think they count though, since we only seem to be talking about comics.
    I used to feel that way a bit about the Burton movies, but over the years, having become a bigger and bigger fan of that first year of Batman comics, I think Batman '89 and Batman Returns capture a lot of the dark surreality of the earliest stories.

What's the hate on Officer Down, anyway?

It's not the biggest story, or the definitive Bat-comic or anything, but I remember liking it alright. It was cool. Or, I thought it was cool What am I forgetting?

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    What's the hate on Officer Down, anyway?

It's not the biggest story, or the definitive Bat-comic or anything, but I remember liking it alright. It was cool. Or, I thought it was cool What am I forgetting?
    Poorly characterized a-hole Batman.