Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Inside Marvel's iTunes Deal

Marvel Comics' Executive VP of Digital Media, Ira Rubenstein, talks with CBR News and explains why now was the time to pull the trigger on comics on Apple's popular smart phone, why go through multiple providers and more.

Full article here.

Mary Jane & Jean Grey Fan BJWanlund's Avatar

Holy mackarel...

This is one heck of a day for Marvel fanboys like myself (though I am not that diehard).

My only 2 questions (and anyone with any knowledge whatsoever can answer) are: Will there be more comics (especially early X-Men), and will there be more partners, like, say, Longbox?

As Longbox prepares to go into beta (maybe with us CBR folks joining in, Jonah?), I have to wonder whether the hardest one to coerce into the greatness that is Longbox would be Marvel or DC. I ask because Marvel is getting easier and easier to coerce to do this sort of digital comics thing, whereas before, say, 2009, they were blindly going on about how MDCU would be the only way to access their comics, even going so far as to cannibalize their partnership with GIT Corp to achieve those ends (and Joe Quesada can totally correct me off the record if I have gotten this wrong).

And DC? I've heard nary a peep from them... Very odd...

BJ

I agree, I hope that seeing this deal means that marvel will be on longbox as well. I do not own a iphone and probably will never own one same with the psp. I really hope they go with longbox. please.

Its worse then we've heard nothing from DC. We've heard Dan Didio actively oppose DC comics being released digitally. We can only hope that with the recent shakeup at DC and restructuring, the future of digital comics will not be in Dan Didio's hands (if it ever was).

Quote Originally Posted by jesuspet00 View Post
    I agree, I hope that seeing this deal means that marvel will be on longbox as well. I do not own a iphone and probably will never own one same with the psp. I really hope they go with longbox. please.
    Same here.
    Last edited by John Lynch; 10-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Buy List
    Adventures of Superman, Aquaman, Aquaman and the Others, AC, Batman Eternal, BM/SM, Detective Comics, Earth 2, Flash, GA, JLU, Superman, SM/WW, World's Finest
    She-Hulk, Avengers Undercover

People have been reading comics on iphones for a while now. I can't even lie, I haven't got a chance to get my books this week so I downloaded them to my iphone and read them until I get a chance to go pick them up. Jailbroken Iphones rule all!
    The world's Number 1 Ghost Rider Fan!!!!
    Reading
    Mighty Avengers. Uncanny Avengers* Thunderbolts* Justice League(Forever Evil)

M.J.W.P - NEVER FORGET

i feel like this may hurt individual issue sales but help trade sales.

which im cool with because i flackacrackin hate how many individual issues i have.

Finally about time. Well done Marvel. Now if only this gets TPTB at DC to get off their butts. DD has already come out against this but hopefully it isn't up to him now there has been some restructuring at DC with DC Entertainment being created.

Marvel picked some good series to start off with as well.