Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,028

    Default CBR: Tour De (Speed) Force: Francis Manapul

    In the first of a two-part series speaking with the artists behind the forthcoming "The Flash," Manapul shares details about drawing Barry Allen instead of Wally West, shifting artistic gears for the new title, and more.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Elder Member Karl O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Posts
    17,263

    Default

    A welcome addition to the Flash universe. I love his art and style. Go francis.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    183

    Default

    i am definitely looking forward to this for sure :)

  4. #4
    A Lovely Astronaut ScottyQuick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Francis Manapul is one of the most talented artists today. I'm glad that him and Brian are still working together, they make such pretty pictures <3

    Also, CBR News, I am unsure whether to groan or high five you for the title.

  5. #5
    Frear of Natuke Mister Blisterfists's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I just wish it was Wally.

    I just don't fuckin' get why we need Barry back. Nobody's ever presented a valid excuse.

  6. #6
    Green Lanter Sector 0616 Raker616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Don't care for Manapul's art at all, it's disapointing that they couldn't get someone better to draw Barry's return as Flash which is turning into another mess from DC sadly.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Man, I really want to get this series, but Scott Kolins on the back-up art is a serious deal breaker. I never could get into his art, it's not fair to say it's lazy or sloppy or anything, but it just has this really weird scratchy feel to it.

    But I like Geoff Johns, Francis Manapul, and the Flash in general, so maybe I will just have to suck it up and hope for fill-in artists.

  8. #8
    Doesn't Socialize Gitaroo_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
    Don't care for Manapul's art at all, it's disapointing that they couldn't get someone better to draw Barry's return as Flash which is turning into another mess from DC sadly.
    Manapul is one of DC's best artists. The fictional character of Barry should be honored to be re-launched by an artist of his talent.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLesbianJewishWoman View Post
    Man, I really want to get this series, but Scott Kolins on the back-up art is a serious deal breaker. I never could get into his art, it's not fair to say it's lazy or sloppy or anything, but it just has this really weird scratchy feel to it.

    But I like Geoff Johns, Francis Manapul, and the Flash in general, so maybe I will just have to suck it up and hope for fill-in artists.
    It's not just you. I'm not a fan of Kollins at all, in fact his art ruined the otherwise awesome Annihilation: Prologue.

    I'll have to wait and see how good the main feature is before picking up the book, though having Manapul is a big help.

  9. #9
    A Lovely Astronaut ScottyQuick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
    Don't care for Manapul's art at all, it's disapointing that they couldn't get someone better to draw Barry's return as Flash which is turning into another mess from DC sadly.
    Not liking Manapul's art is one thing, but wishing they could have gotten someone better? Who?

  10. #10
    Junior Member gwor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    st-hubert, quebec
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Manapul's art is a bit too '90s' for my taste; DC seems to be in a retro kick, with Tony Daniels and Mark Bagley also producing work reminding me of the same (crappy) decade.

    I loved Daniel Acuna's Flash, but realize he can't stick to a monthly schedule. Phil Jiminez would be a nice fit, but again, too slow (and he's a Marvel guy these days).

    IMO, DC's pool of quality pencillers who can do a monthly book is pretty small....

  11. #11
    -Lu Galasso
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I actually don't mind Manapul's work for the same reason a lot of people don't like it. Because of the retro 90's feel it has. I am a fan of the 90's art work. I'm always happy to see that certain style whenever I can.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitaroo_Dude View Post
    Manapul is one of DC's best artists. The fictional character of Barry should be honored to be re-launched by an artist of his talent.



    It's not just you. I'm not a fan of Kollins at all, in fact his art ruined the otherwise awesome Annihilation: Prologue.

    I'll have to wait and see how good the main feature is before picking up the book, though having Manapul is a big help.
    Yeah, that's the thing, is how much it doesn't compliment other artists, and often even the story itself. I mean it's one thing if his style was somewhat enjoyable (imo, because I'm not really getting into technical specifics here) like Stuart Immonen, where it wouldn't matter how cartoony/unrealistic it looks because it already looks good. But Kolins' style suffers not just from his own weird style, but a lot of the pitfalls that artists get criticized for, like how all his faces look similar.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ilash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    4,492

    Default

    I'm actually a bit worried about Geoff Johns on The Flash after Rebirth but I am really looking forward to seeing what Francis Manapul brings to the table.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Blisterfists View Post
    I just wish it was Wally.

    I just don't fuckin' get why we need Barry back. Nobody's ever presented a valid excuse.

    Agreed. But its to be expected, they bring EVERYBODY back from the dead in comics.
    It sux
    "All your bases are belong to us"

  15. #15
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwor View Post
    Manapul's art is a bit too '90s' for my taste; DC seems to be in a retro kick, with Tony Daniels and Mark Bagley also producing work reminding me of the same (crappy) decade
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Galasso View Post
    I actually don't mind Manapul's work for the same reason a lot of people don't like it. Because of the retro 90's feel it has. I am a fan of the 90's art work. I'm always happy to see that certain style whenever I can.
    I don't really get what is so "90's" about Francis's art.

    It's not like there's rippling muscles or ridiculous anatomy, what 90's artists are you guys referring to when you say this?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •