Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Tour De (Speed) Force: Francis Manapul

In the first of a two-part series speaking with the artists behind the forthcoming "The Flash," Manapul shares details about drawing Barry Allen instead of Wally West, shifting artistic gears for the new title, and more.

Full article here.

A welcome addition to the Flash universe. I love his art and style. Go francis.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

i am definitely looking forward to this for sure :)

Francis Manapul is one of the most talented artists today. I'm glad that him and Brian are still working together, they make such pretty pictures <3

Also, CBR News, I am unsure whether to groan or high five you for the title.

Frear of Natuke Mister Blisterfists's Avatar

I just wish it was Wally.

I just don't fuckin' get why we need Barry back. Nobody's ever presented a valid excuse.

Green Lanter Sector 0616 Raker616's Avatar

Don't care for Manapul's art at all, it's disapointing that they couldn't get someone better to draw Barry's return as Flash which is turning into another mess from DC sadly.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Man, I really want to get this series, but Scott Kolins on the back-up art is a serious deal breaker. I never could get into his art, it's not fair to say it's lazy or sloppy or anything, but it just has this really weird scratchy feel to it.

But I like Geoff Johns, Francis Manapul, and the Flash in general, so maybe I will just have to suck it up and hope for fill-in artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
    Don't care for Manapul's art at all, it's disapointing that they couldn't get someone better to draw Barry's return as Flash which is turning into another mess from DC sadly.
    Manapul is one of DC's best artists. The fictional character of Barry should be honored to be re-launched by an artist of his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLesbianJewishWoman View Post
    Man, I really want to get this series, but Scott Kolins on the back-up art is a serious deal breaker. I never could get into his art, it's not fair to say it's lazy or sloppy or anything, but it just has this really weird scratchy feel to it.

But I like Geoff Johns, Francis Manapul, and the Flash in general, so maybe I will just have to suck it up and hope for fill-in artists.
    It's not just you. I'm not a fan of Kollins at all, in fact his art ruined the otherwise awesome Annihilation: Prologue.

I'll have to wait and see how good the main feature is before picking up the book, though having Manapul is a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
    Not liking Manapul's art is one thing, but wishing they could have gotten someone better? Who?

Manapul's art is a bit too '90s' for my taste; DC seems to be in a retro kick, with Tony Daniels and Mark Bagley also producing work reminding me of the same (crappy) decade.

I loved Daniel Acuna's Flash, but realize he can't stick to a monthly schedule. Phil Jiminez would be a nice fit, but again, too slow (and he's a Marvel guy these days).

IMO, DC's pool of quality pencillers who can do a monthly book is pretty small....

-Lu Galasso

I actually don't mind Manapul's work for the same reason a lot of people don't like it. Because of the retro 90's feel it has. I am a fan of the 90's art work. I'm always happy to see that certain style whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitaroo_Dude View Post
    Manapul is one of DC's best artists. The fictional character of Barry should be honored to be re-launched by an artist of his talent.

It's not just you. I'm not a fan of Kollins at all, in fact his art ruined the otherwise awesome Annihilation: Prologue.

I'll have to wait and see how good the main feature is before picking up the book, though having Manapul is a big help.
    Yeah, that's the thing, is how much it doesn't compliment other artists, and often even the story itself. I mean it's one thing if his style was somewhat enjoyable (imo, because I'm not really getting into technical specifics here) like Stuart Immonen, where it wouldn't matter how cartoony/unrealistic it looks because it already looks good. But Kolins' style suffers not just from his own weird style, but a lot of the pitfalls that artists get criticized for, like how all his faces look similar.

I'm actually a bit worried about Geoff Johns on The Flash after Rebirth but I am really looking forward to seeing what Francis Manapul brings to the table.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Blisterfists View Post
    I just wish it was Wally.

I just don't fuckin' get why we need Barry back. Nobody's ever presented a valid excuse.

Agreed. But its to be expected, they bring EVERYBODY back from the dead in comics.
    It sux
    "All your bases are belong to us"

Quote Originally Posted by gwor View Post
    Manapul's art is a bit too '90s' for my taste; DC seems to be in a retro kick, with Tony Daniels and Mark Bagley also producing work reminding me of the same (crappy) decade
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Galasso View Post
    I actually don't mind Manapul's work for the same reason a lot of people don't like it. Because of the retro 90's feel it has. I am a fan of the 90's art work. I'm always happy to see that certain style whenever I can.
    I don't really get what is so "90's" about Francis's art.

It's not like there's rippling muscles or ridiculous anatomy, what 90's artists are you guys referring to when you say this?