Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Shamus and Big Apple Go Head-To-Head With NYCC

Early word from the rebranded Big Apple Comic-Con shows that Wizard Entertainment head Gareb Shamus plans on running his New York show against New York Comic Con in 2010

Full article here.

Why, why, why? Can someone explain to me why this is a good strategy? Does this make as little sense to everyone else as it does to me?
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Video Games give me PTS! Crowley's Avatar

Shamus is becoming more and more delusional.

Fold Wizard Gareb... you're just embarrassing us now.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This seems like a Vince McMahon strategy. How he'd take over and slowly stretch the WWE west ward. He didn't care if there was a competing product there. He was going to take over. Did he lose a few battles along the way ? Yeah ... but he seemed to win the war.

Gareb seems to be taking a Vince McMahon strategy here. He's gonna take the battle to them. He'll win some...lose some....
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Here's the thing, if I'm your average comic fan, I couldn't afford to go to both of these shows, even if I wanted to. Ultimately I'll make my decision based on the exhibitors and convention guests. Considering Reed's been able to attract the big four comics publishers and these Wizard conventions have not, I'll go to the show that has the big publishers and their creators. Even if both shows attract guests I want, I'm only going to pick one and, well, that would be Reed's at this point.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    Why, why, why? Can someone explain to me why this is a good strategy? Does this make as little sense to everyone else as it does to me?
    You have to remember, he is continually programming WW Philadelphia against HeroesCon, after all of the fuss when he tried to start a WW Atlanta show to compete with HeroesCon. Gareb thinks he's a big boy and should be treated as such. And so every other convention should be out out of business or be run by Wizard. Instead, it makes him look like a petty child.

If I remember, there were even rumors a few years ago of Wizard wanting to hold an LA convention that would run the same dates as Comic-Con. Because they thought they could actually compete. (Although at this point, they kind of could, just with the run off of people who can't get into Comic-Con.)

You could not pay me to go to Big Apple Con before Wizard bought it - just told my nephew to save his money until the real show next year
    Never Surrender

For information on the Classic Marvel and DC Figurine Collections by Eaglemoss
    http://www.superherofigurineforum.com

BANNED

On one hand, I think Gareb is a sad, delsuional little man.

On the other hand... I still think that. But it might mean a slightly less crowded NYCC, which I could live with.

Naaaah, I doubt that'll happen.

It's absurd. He's done this before. There were plans for another show in NYC years ago and he counter promoted one in Phili. He's desperately trying to remain relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Masschine View Post
    It's absurd. He's done this before. There were plans for another show in NYC years ago and he counter promoted one in Phili. He's desperately trying to remain relevant.
    Heh. Wouldn't he have had to be relevant at some point, before he could remain relevant?
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

That con is probably like walking into a reenactment of the movie 'Boiler Room'. :D
    Last edited by Tom B; 10-16-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Is Gareb Shamus having a kamikaze contest with NBC's executives these days?!?

The guy can't get half of his most advertised guests to show up for his new revamped Big Apple con this week-end ( Willem Daffoe, Robert Patrick, JG Jones, Paul Cornell to name only a few ), and NOW he wants to send his wizard con after Javitz's NYCC ?!? Hmm. That's probably the comic equivalent of... the Wizard trying to take down Galactus!

The alleys at Pier 94 were mostly empty today for the first day of the con. Not nearly enough comic-related guests. Way too many TV has beens ( who do you think will have my vote next year if I have to chose between John Romita Sr at Javitz, and a former Survivor contestant at the Wizard show ? ).

Around the time the show opened today the only people waiting in line were professionals picking up their registration badges. Pretty much no one was buying tickets. Or picking up advance tickets. Hopefully for everyone there, business will pick up on Saturday. But it's obvious this con is gonna have a hard time making a name for itself as it is, so I can't imagine how it would fare next year against another, stronger, show. It's really too bad because I'm sure some people are actually working hard to make this new Big Apple con happen... and now they won't get the chance to build on what they've just started, thanks to their genius head honcho ( yes, Gareb, that's you ).

Oh and don't even get me started about the fact that Wizard advertized that tix for their con would be available at local NYC comic stores this week--- even though these stores had actually refused to carry them! bullshit & more bullshit.

sigh.
    Last edited by Oldmantom; 10-16-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo

Crowley must've been living in a cave the last decade or so:

Shamus is becoming more and more delusional.

Fold Wizard Gareb... you're just embarrassing us now.
    Now??? ?
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

He's still trying to burn off some of that Death of Captain America money from the books he sold.

he should buy time-shares in Dubai
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

I'm going with NYCC all the way it's closer to the NYAF in fact they seem to be sharing space with the NYCC next year.

when my boyfriend get's back from japan I'm telling him to no buy wizard anymore. He doesn't seem to want to join me and being mad at them for killing my anime insider.