Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Last week gave us a replay of this classic two vs one battle
    BTW - the necklace was on that took away the Odinpower - that's what's on panel - this was Thor going head to head with one arm sliced off and coming out on top
    Last edited by Punchdrunk; 08-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchdrunk View Post
    Gillen is the heir apparent to Simonson.

If you aren't reading Journey Into Mystery you are missing out on not only the best of the myth oriented comics but one of the best comics in general out right now.
    I agree...Gillen should be permanently assigned to Thor as he has a handle on Norse Mythology like no one else. Hint Hint Marvel!
    Some people are like slinkies...they are really good for nothing...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Thor #370 is classic and an underrated one-shot tale. Send out a search party and bring back Christopher Priest to writing more Thor..

.....how the heck is this one of the smaller appreciation threads?!?!

Some people find him boring and/or find his godhood status to be offputting. They know not of what they speak.

Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

His pops is pretty badass too

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fear itself 04 - 32.jpg   Thor Man of War-024.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
    His pops is pretty badass too
    Odin needs to be dropped into a never ending pit of his own creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben D View Post
    [IMG]
    I love that one!

BANNED

I got into Thor by Thor Dissambled, hated that book such a great mythos but wasted for shock and death. Then JMS run came in my faith was restored. Liked Gillens run very much I picked his run in trades. Can't stand Fractions run he makes Thor extremely callous, arrogant, and too much similar to the Norse Mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerkaya View Post
    I got into Thor by Thor Dissambled, hated that book such a great mythos but wasted for shock and death. Then JMS run came in my faith was restored. Liked Gillens run very much I picked his run in trades. Can't stand Fractions run he makes Thor extremely callous, arrogant, and too much similar to the Norse Mythology.
    Thor's meant to be like that. Its the Donald Blake side where he shows his true potential as a humble man. The moment you start saying they are two different people is the moment Thor becomes distant and unlikeable. When they got rid of Blake is when they started to try and give Thor some better characterisation as Thor.

Writers often use Norse mythology as a crutch because they can't come up with original stories for the character. They were never meant to be the same so I don't get why some writers/fans feel the need to line them up. Why not take these characters and try something new? Thrust Thor into an unfamiliar world, put him into the body of disabled Doctor, give him a new love interest, let him take on the modern evils of Midgard...all great stuff in the original idea.
    Last edited by superchick; 08-22-2011 at 04:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    Thor's meant to be like that. Its the Donald Blake side where he shows his true potential as a humble man. The moment you start saying they are two different people is the moment Thor becomes distant and unlikeable. When they got rid of Blake is when they started to try and give Thor some better characterisation as Thor.

Writers often use Norse mythology as a crutch because they can't come up with original stories for the character. They were never meant to be the same so I don't get why some writers/fans feel the need to line them up.
    Yet in Fractions run Blake still resides in Thor and he still seems to act like he did in his early days. I'm not discounting writer's using the Norse Mythology in the comic I'm saying is that with Thor's early days when he recovered his memories he was acting brash I accepted that but as the years went by Thor became more wiser and humble in experience. Seeing this Thor by Fraction its as if he's been backtracked to his early years.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerkaya View Post
    Yet in Fractions run Blake still resides in Thor and he still seems to act like he did in his early days. I'm not discounting writer's using the Norse Mythology in the comic I'm saying is that with Thor's early days when he recovered his memories he was acting brash I accepted that but as the years went by Thor became more wiser and humble in experience. Seeing this Thor by Fraction its as if he's been backtracked to his early years.
    Fraction is writing Thor and Blake as two different characters though. That takes away all Thor's good aspects and gives them to Donald as a separate entity. That's one of the big problems of the split.

He had to be written as wiser and humbler because there was no Donald/Jake/whatever side to him. Without that he would be completely unlikable. Now Donald's back Thor's allowed to be written with all his flaws because the other side is there to balance it but by saying Donald isn't Thor, Thor just becomes an arrogant, emo twunk.

If we say that Donald is Thor (which he is even if some writers persistently get it wrong ). Thor suddenly becomes more appealing and complex because he has that potential for decency.

That was the concept of the early years, that is what JMS inaccurately brought back and that is what Fraction is continuing with so yes, he has gone backwards on purpose because the relaunch got back to the core of the character, almost.

Mini Marvels always explains it better:

Last edited by superchick; 08-22-2011 at 04:48 AM.

[Level 1 antagonism]
    Homer: Ned Flanders, I mock your value system. You also appear foolish to the eyes of others.
    Ned: Well howdy, Homer! Thanks for dropping by!
    [Level 2 antagonism]
    Homer: Past instances in which I professed to like you, were fraudulent.
    Ned: Oh well. I'll just have to try harder. Thanks for dropping by!
    [Maximum hostility factor]
    Homer: I engaged in intercourse with your spouse or significant other. Now that's psychiatry!