Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    I'm interested in reading more about Thor, so was the run that followed JMS any good? How good are the current Thor books, and what about the Iron Man/Thor limited series, was that any good?
    Kieron Gillen's run (the one after JMS) was generally pretty good, worth picking up. It filled in some of Siege's gaps (read Siege, it's not bad and has a lot of Thor) and concluded JMS's run reasonably well. It's coming out in an Ultimate Collection soon - don't get the trades, they only collect about three issues each.

If you want to read more Thor, there are two runs I highly recommend:
    • Walt Simonson's defining run, collected in the Walt Simonson omnibus.
    • Dan Jurgen's run after Heroes Reborn, which brought a classic feel back to the comic. It's available in 11 different trades.
    Last edited by Telos; 07-14-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post

Probably because my first exposure to Thor was from Ultimate Avengers: The Movie
    Ultimate Thor* was done really badly in Ultimate Avengers. It didn't fit with the whole Jesus aspect of the reimagined character. Its like they didn't take the character seriously and really thought he was a dim skandi hippy. Ultimate Thor is sullen, dignified and carries the weight of his mission. I couldn't connect the two.

*I am sorely tempted to class anything Loeb wrote as a hallucination Loki put Thor through because, damn, that was awful.
    Last edited by superchick; 07-14-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    right now both Thor books, Mighty Thor and Journey into Mystery, are great comics. At the moment they are both on their third issue. Coipel is drawing Mighty Thor and it looks just as good as you'd expect. Journey into Mystery by Kieron Gillen probably has the better writing of the two. It stars Loki and the other Asgardians, with Thor only showing up in important scenes. But the Asgardians have a lot of depth, especially Loki. JIM also ties to the Fear Itself series.
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out Mighty Thor first and eventually get to Journey into the Mystery. Asgard and Loki are interesting characters, and I do want to read about them, but I gotta budget correctly, with the upcoming DC and Ultimate Comics relaunches.

You should probably read Siege too (also drawn by Coipel). It sets up Asgard's current status quo
    Is Siege any good though? I'm more interested in reading good stories rather than ones that just set up status quos and continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    Kieron Gillen's run (the one after JMS) was generally pretty good, worth picking up. It filled in some of Siege's gaps (read Siege, it's not bad and has a lot of Thor) and concluded JMS's run reasonably well. It's coming out in an Ultimate Collection soon - don't get the trades, they only collect about three issues each.
    I'm trying to go all digital, so I'll probaby end up buying Gillen's run through Comixology. I believe they have the first 4 or 5 issues up for it.

If you want to read more Thor, there are two runs I highly recommend:
    • Walt Simonson's defining run, collected in the Walt Simonson omnibus.
    • Dan Jurgen's run after Heroes Reborn, which brought a classic feel back to the comic. It's available in 11 different trades.
    I heard Simonson's run was really good. He introduced Beta Ray Bill right? Speaking of which, anyone got any good recommendations for him? But yeah, I'll definitely be on the lookout for Simsonson's run, I believe Comxiology has either his entire run or most of it. As for Jurgen's run, Comixology as the entire thing online, so I'll sample the first story arc to see if I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    Ultimate Thor* was done really badly in Ultimate Avengers. It didn't fit with the whole Jesus aspect of the reimagined character. Its like they didn't take the character seriously and really thought he was a dim skandi hippy. Ultimate Thor is sullen, dignified and carries the weight of his mission. I couldn't connect the two.
    I agree that compared to Ultimate Thor the one in the movie was a pale comparison. However that was still my introduction to Thor, and it's part of what made me want to read Ultimates 1 & 2. And unfortunately I don't think Thor has been portrayed that well in recent cartoons. He often comes across as being really weak compared to everyone else, even the opposite is true. "Hulk vs. Thor" is probably the most egregious example.

I don't care how strong he is really. I'd rather he was written properly as a character. My favourite Thor story is The Mighty Avenger and he is definitely not as strong as we expect there but I recognise more of Lee/Lieber's Thor in there than in most of his appearances these days.
    Last edited by superchick; 07-15-2011 at 06:56 AM.

I hope JMS comes back someday to write the series. great stuff.

Gillen is the heir apparent to Simonson.

If you aren't reading Journey Into Mystery you are missing out on not only the best of the myth oriented comics but one of the best comics in general out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchdrunk View Post

If you aren't reading Journey Into Mystery you are missing out on not only the best of the myth oriented comics but one of the best comics in general out right now.
    Couldn't have said it better, Punchdrunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchdrunk View Post

I'm waiting for trade. Multi-issue mystery plots don't work for me. I get frustrated at the slow pace. Lost syndome

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    I'm waiting for trade. Multi-issue mystery plots don't work for me. I get frustrated at the slow pace. Lost syndome
    Personally I don't feel it slow paced it keeps surprising me in every issue and is one of the books where I feel more things happen in every book.

Or maybe it just trapped me and I can't wait that long to read what is coming for so long.
    My god has a hammer, your god was nailed to a cross. Any questions?

E = p(orn) x C(offee) Finganforn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderer View Post
    Personally I don't feel it slow paced it keeps surprising me in every issue and is one of the books where I feel more things happen in every book.
    Indeed, when I finished JIM 625 I was like "wow, wait, I just read ONE book? ONE book written and published in 2011? WOW, just wow!!!" If you're into this kind of story, it is worth every cent and then some in both quantity and quality. IMO in this case the break is even welcome, you end and issue, put it aside, sit in you chair and contemplate all you just read for a time.
    [/sarcasm]

Thor: The Mighty Avenger has won two Harveys

Most promising new talent: Chris Samnee, Thor: The Mighty Avenger (Marvel)

Best writer: Roger Langridge, Thor: The Mighty Avenger (Marvel)

Professional appreciation is the best kind!

Now, bring it back.
    Last edited by superchick; 08-21-2011 at 07:59 AM.

BANNED

Thor putting down Thanos (clone or no clone)
    Jurgen's finest hour.

Of course Steve Engelhart got it right during his run on Avengers.

Thor held back on the team to avoid eclipsing his comrades but when no one else could step up to Orka - the Odinson took off the kid gloves.