Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Could Spider-Man wield Thor's Hammer?

The title is says it all. As we know, Thor's mystic uru hammer can only be wielded by those "worthy" enough. And the list is small indeed- so far it's only Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Captain America and Wonder Woman (also, Deadpool I think, but can't be certain on that one) that can lift the hammer and harness it's power. But is Spider-Man also one of those people that can lift the hammer? He is a hero who has faced many trials, both physical and psychological, and his notions of responsibility means that he understands that tremendous power must be wielded wisely. But Spidey is also a very human hero, with human flaws and failings. That may prevent him from being "worthy" enough, as of yet.

So does Spidey have what it takes to lift one of the most powerful weapons on the planet? Does he have a strong enough of a moral resolve and is of sufficient character to be one of the few to wield the weapon of Thor? Or does he still have some growing to do both as a person and as a hero?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    The title is says it all. As we know, Thor's mystic uru hammer can only be wielded by those "worthy" enough. And the list is small indeed- so far it's only Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Captain America and Wonder Woman (also, Deadpool I think, but can't be certain on that one) that can lift the hammer and harness it's power. But is Spider-Man also one of those people that can lift the hammer? He is a hero who has faced many trials, both physical and psychological, and his notions of responsibility means that he understands that tremendous power must be wielded wisely. But Spidey is also a very human hero, with human flaws and failings. That may prevent him from being "worthy" enough, as of yet.

So does Spidey have what it takes to lift one of the most powerful weapons on the planet? Does he have a strong enough of a moral resolve and is of sufficient character to be one of the few to wield the weapon of Thor? Or does he still have some growing to do both as a person and as a hero?
    nope.

....but what about Cosmic Spidey?....eh? .

As much as I love Spidey, I have to say no. Not a chance. To the best of my knowledge, Captain America (Steve Rogers) is the only human mortal able to lift Thor's hammer. This speaks volumes for Cap, and honestly Spidey said it best himself in ASM # 363: "Cap is a legend, but I'm just a man."

I think Spidey's human flaws and failings are what make him so appealling, and to elevate him to near god-like status would not do anything to help him as a character. It would be much more like him to try to lift the hammer and make some self-deprecating comments while struggling with it.

If he is worthy, then yes.
    Cyclops ad portas

BANNED

You mean like this?

Yes, yes he can

Who the hell knows?

Loki could lift Thor's hammer and I don't think the Silver Surfer could, so it's not like there are hard and fast rules here. Pretty much "whatever the hell Odin is feeling at the moment," I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    As much as I love Spidey, I have to say no.
    Same here.

Spidey and Steve Rogers just aren't on the same level.

I think he tried before and he could'nt. Thor said his guilt was holding him back or something.
    Peter Parker is a adulterous heathen - Jeffgamer

Could he wield Thor's hammer?

Sure....by the THONG.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackToe View Post
    I think he tried before and he could'nt. Thor said his guilt was holding him back or something.
    I buy that, Peter may be a great hero, but I don't think he is worthy to wield it. And that's not a slight, very few can wield the hammer and possess the power of Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremnar View Post
    I buy that, Peter may be a great hero, but I don't think he is worthy to wield it. And that's not a slight, very few can wield the hammer and possess the power of Thor.
    I'm pretty sure I saw it in a scan about Thors hammer feats. Cant remember where though. Either on a Thor fansite with all kinds of feat scans and info or on the Marvel.com boards back in the day. Still could be wrong though.
    Last edited by BlackToe; 10-16-2009 at 04:59 AM.
    Peter Parker is a adulterous heathen - Jeffgamer

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Yes, he absolutely could. He has a heart as pure as Steve Rogers', he just isn't as good with the execution.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

As with all things, it would depend on circumstance. Superman could lift the hammer at one point, but not at another, for example.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

I don't know this is a factor, but I feel like he wouldn't consider himself worthy enough. Something tells me whoever wields it has to have a certain sense of self-assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    As with all things, it would depend on circumstance. Superman could lift the hammer at one point, but not at another, for example.
    When was this? I knoew he lifted it in JLA Avengers... when couldn't he lift it?