Page 78 of 128 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1920

Quote Originally Posted by trypr View Post
    O_o

That has other connotations hun, but hurrah for the sharks ^.~
    What other connotations? Hmmm.. am I missing something?
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

LOL

@ the risk of being dead wrong and revealing myself to be a gutter-minded dirtbag... which should be common knowledge if/when ever my name pops up ... I'll take a stab @ it and guess that the connotations have something to do w/ the graphic.

Imagine the shark fin as a tongue. And that's all I'm gonna say...

Peace.

Default comic book database software - any recommendations?

I'm looking for a good comic database software, and wondered if anybody here has input or suggestions.

I've dl'ed ComicBase for my first pass.

Any comments greatly appreciated!
    wonderwomannetwork.com - a cozy corner for Wonder Woman friends and fans from all over the globe

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
    Why is it annoying that practically every discussion about a comic book turns into a discussion about racism/sexism?

Do you really need to ask that?

I want to discuss comics. I want to discuss superheroes. I want to discuss upcoming books. If I wanted to discuss racism on a constant basis, I would go to a site dedicated to that.

But this is, presumably, COMIC BOOK RESOURCES, and I find myself in the middle of the same people constantly ranting about sexism and racism, when we could be discussing COMIC BOOKS!
    I agree. Message Boards lately and some of it's participants are getting so ridiculous that it is hard to really enjoy posting anymore or better yet, reading comics. Especially if all the discussions leads back to one road. Racism. Homophobia. Sexism. Misogyny.

But that is to be expected with when this society has gotten UBER PC that you can't say a word because either "You hate Gays" or "You despise Blacks". Or "You hate Women" or "Hate Hispanics". It really has gotten THAT bad lately

Your opinion only matters and respected when you are UBER Politically Correct
    Last edited by nightforce; 08-04-2010 at 09:58 AM.
    I am most definitely a WONDER WOMAN FAN!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightforce View Post
    I agree. Message Boards lately and some of it's participants are getting so ridiculous that it is hard to really enjoy posting anymore or better yet, reading comics. Especially if all the discussions leads back to one road. Racism. Homophobia. Sexism. Misogyny.

But that is to be expected with when this society has gotten UBER PC that you can't say a word because either "You hate Gays" or "You despise Blacks". Or "You hate Women" or "Hate Hispanics". It really has gotten THAT bad lately

I think your opinion matters and is respected when you actually know what you're talking about....for example, what you describe is not PC......

Quote Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
    I think your opinion matters and is respected when you actually know what you're talking about....for example, what you describe is not PC......
    Actually you just proved MY Point,

Because you don't agree with me you have to be flippant (Like calling me ignorant) you don't respect my differing opinion. Which is typical. So how does my opinion matter?

But Do take care though
    Last edited by nightforce; 08-04-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
    Actually you just proved MY Point,

Because you don't agree with me you have to be flippant (Like calling me ignorant) you don't respect my differing opinion. Which is typical. So how does my opinion matter?

But Do take care though
    bfrank, I'd like to know what wasn't PC according to you about what he said, just out of curiosity. He was just giving examples. I also don't know if your first comment was directed in general to posters or specifically at nightforce. The former is a generality; the latter would be insulting to nightforce. We tend to give validity to people's opinions when they're backed up, true. I'm not sure if that applies to nightforce's comments, though.
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Lightbulb

I respect opinions that diverge from my own, especially yours, nightforce. And I appreciate your honesty. It would be silly of me to think that everyone would draw the same conclusions about the texts as I do given our multitude of life experiences.

I'm never ashamed to express my thoughts and opinions about the comics I read, no matter how unpopular they may be; and I feel bad for individuals who may be concerned that their opinions will make them unpopular. At the same time, I dislike when people try to control the conversation by suggesting that certain topics should be off-limits or by complaining that the topics come up too often. This is a discussion board, which means all different points of view are welcome, even if they're repetitive. It's particularly puzzling to me that this desire to (sometimes) avoid certain political subjects occurs on a board where the central character is inherently political.

We all want to complain when a conversation here doesn't go our way, but we somehow don't want to use the tools/power at our disposal: like leaving a thread if we don't like the direction of the discussion or ignoring the posters whose opinions we dislike. Instead, what we want to do is tell other posters how wrong they are and how right we are--or we misrepresent the opposing argument and argue with the misrepresentation.

I'm not trying to tell people how they should conduct themselves on this board, or that they shouldn't complain, but doesn't Einstein's definition of insanity--"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"--apply here?

So I read and really liked Wonder Woman #601, but I found there to be some flaws in regard to its depiction of race--though I thought the conversation between the boy and the clown was an interesting commentary on race in America.

I think that point of view enhances the discussion, not diminishes it.
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Quote Originally Posted by 4PointOh View Post
    I respect opinions that diverge from my own, especially yours, nightforce. And I appreciate your honesty. It would be silly of me to think that everyone would draw the same conclusions about the texts as I do given our multitude of life experiences.

I'm never ashamed to express my thoughts and opinions about the comics I read, no matter how unpopular they may be; and I feel bad for individuals who may be concerned that their opinions will make them unpopular. At the same time, I dislike when people try to control the conversation by suggesting that certain topics should be off-limits or by complaining that the topics come up too often. This is a discussion board, which means all different points of view are welcome, even if they're repetitive. It's particularly puzzling to me that this desire to (sometimes) avoid certain political subjects occurs on a board where the central character is inherently political.

We all want to complain when a conversation here doesn't go our way, but we somehow don't want to use the tools/power at our disposal: like leaving a thread if we don't like the direction of the discussion or ignoring the posters whose opinions we dislike. Instead, what we want to do is tell other posters how wrong they are and how right we are--or we misrepresent the opposing argument and argue with the misrepresentation.

I'm not trying to tell people how they should conduct themselves on this board, or that they shouldn't complain, but doesn't Einstein's definition of insanity--"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"--apply here?

So I read and really liked Wonder Woman #601, but I found there to be some flaws in regard to its depiction of race--though I thought the conversation between the boy and the clown was an interesting commentary on race in America.

I agree. Conversation about topics like this helps people to gain mutual understanding. If we just avoid talking about it, it becomes something else that hovers around and creates tension. I don't think we need to discuss it in every thread, either. We do have a thread called Social Issues Diana Would Embrace specifically for issues like racism, etc. that show up in Wonder Woman. If people want to continue the discussion without "hijacking" the original 601 thread, they can certainly use the Social Issues thread. Just a thought.

August has just begun and I'm already wishing it were over (even though I know we should never wish our lives away). This heat is unbearable.

Meanwhile, I'm anxiously waiting to hear the decision in the Perry v. Schwarzenegger Prop 8 case.
    "Change their minds, and change the world."

BANNED

It's easy to see why white people are racially insensitive and avoid talking about the issue. It doesn't effect them. It's not keeping them from getting a job. They're not harassed by the police or followed around stores. They're culture isn't constantly criticized, made fun of and then stolen from. They're not held to higher standard, nor do they have to hide their emotions in the fear of appearing "angry". They get to quietly enjoy the privilege of their whiteness and collect their higher paychecks. I don't like it, but I UNDERSTAND.

What I don't get is the irrational anger they feel when someone brings up the disparities. We're not supposed to mention them?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    It's easy to see why white people are racially insensitive and avoid talking about the issue. It doesn't effect them.
    That's a pretty sweeping generalization there. I agree that we can't know exactly what it's like (though, those of us who've ever been harassed or discriminated against for other reasons, such as sexual orientation, can at least relate), but a good number of us do care and feel just as strongly about racism as you do.

If every single one of us would just look at each other as individuals as opposed to faceless groups of people whom we've put into boxes with tidy little labels, we'd all be a lot better off.
    "Change their minds, and change the world."

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPGH1972 View Post
    That's a pretty sweeping generalization there. I agree that we can't know exactly what it's like (though, those of us who've ever been harassed or discriminated against for other reasons, such as sexual orientation, can at least relate), but a good number of us do care and feel just as strongly about racism as you do.

If every single one of us would just look at each other as individuals as opposed to faceless groups of people whom we've put into boxes with tidy little labels, we'd all be a lot better off.
    I don't think Triple X means to say white people as in white individual people. I think he means an institutionalized system wherein whites are afforded opportunities and privileges on the basis of the color of their skin.
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Quote Originally Posted by 4PointOh View Post

Hey, I have always respect your opinion as well. I hope that shows in my posts.

But I will explain myself a little on why sometimes I post the way I do.

I am Puerto Rican and of Spaniard descent. Though I consider myself an AMERICAN My loyalties lie with MY country. No other, My mother died when my brother and I were young. My mother's friends Elizabeth and Ronald took us in. They were white people. German and Polish descent. They treated me and my brother like one of their own. No different. In the years I lived with them the people in the building where we lived had the audacity to call them racist? I am like WTF??? Do they even know what they are talking about?

Now let me say this, Yes I know they are White people who ARE racist. There are African American People who ARE racist. There are Spanish people who ARE racist. Racism unfortunately does exist. But there are instances when some is called "RACIST" and they are NOT. Samer goes for Homophobia and Sexism.

Me being a Wonder Woman fan does not mean that I buy the book to look at Wonder Woman to get an erection and masturbate. That is NOT the reason why I buy the comic book. I want to see Wonder Woman beat the bad guys. And do it in her regular costume. But I have the new one and if you notcied I really didn;t moan that much about it. Did I moan? Yeah a bit. But I am getting used to it little by little.

I do want to say I want a VIXEN Solo COMIC. I feel she would have been MORE interesting than Powergirl. Why did Powergirl get it? Sure many guesses there on why. And most likely all true. But VIXEN Should get her own comic. How do we go about getting her one?

PS, I do not want to call JMS a Racist and Don Kramer a Sexist. Should JMS include other racists in the Amazon Mythos? God Yes. He should. But I don't want to call him a RACIST

Just like in the Hollywood movies White Collar Crimes are usually commited by WHITE MEN.

Movies like Scarface usually where the Drug Dealer is Big Daddy are usually Latinos.

Anyway I won't post any further on this topic.

I don't want any hurt feelings or people thinking I am racist or "ignorant" because I view things differently.

But it is your right if you think I am. It is all alright

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPGH1972 View Post

Correction: some white people...