14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default My Trip to Baltimore Comic-Con !

Me and a couple buddies decided to make the 7+ hour trip to Baltimore and take Comic-Con in. It was a nice trip and one full of great pics (which ill add to my myspace and here possibly). We had some fun at the show and now the GOOD and the BAD. Don;t worry , there is very little bad.

THE GOOD :

-The City and Convention Center is awesome. The way its laid out. We managed to find a great parking garage across the street and walked easily to it. We also found a restraunt that morning to eat at.

- Once inside we were told about the lines that Saturday and we got in a very weird crooked line that went in some wild directions by the event staff. Now what made this funny was a guy pulling a box of comics who proceeded to be offended by this line.

"This is fucking bullshit ! BULLSHIT." he screamed at the staff trying to do its job.

"Sir were doing the best we can." was what the male staff guy said.

"Fucking bullshit. Give me your name , I plan to write a stern letter to your bosses over this. I wanna write them about this bullshit !" he yelled. (By this point us 4 backed up and wanted to stand away from crazy guy)

They kept trying to explain they were just trying to do the best job they could. I felt sorry for them as this guy went deranged on them swearing loudly. From this point on whenever we'd be alone or out to eat we'd imitate the "fucking bullshit guy" as we called him.

- Once inside we all would split off at times and my friends went to get books signed , while I at 1st went to make some key finds. Like some old 70's Batman ,Superman , Adventure Comics and fill in some holes. It was like a kid being in a candy store. I managed to score Swamp Thing #37 (1st app of John Constantine for $5 bucks) and nail down a 1968 Adventure Comics book in great conditon for $1.00 buck.

- I finally met back up with friends and got books signed by Mark Waid (LSH series he did in 2004) and he's a sweet nice guy. A buddy of mine had found a rare hardback book by Stan Lee called "Call in the Bad Guys" and Waid was stunned to see it in hardback. He remarked he had paid $10 bucks for it then I believe. My buddy said $4 is what he paid days ago and Waid was like..."daamn." He signed it and was very awesome.

Joe Kubert was next on my list and Joe was a very sweet old man. I shook his hand and told him I love his art and had a new Conan issue he had just done . He seemed pleased seeing that new work . He signed it and I joked..."Do you tease your sons that your still better..." and he laughed and answered "Nah , can't do that..." I did tell him I loved his one boys run on Incredible Hulk a few years ago. Made my day and he thanked me.

I got in a massive line to see George Perez. And he too was awesome.....he signed my books , posed in a pic with me ...and just asked .."If you have any change , could you donate it to the Hero Fund. I'm signing for them." I was like...sure (my friends did as well)...I put $2-$5 bucks in...forgot what I pushed in there . We remarked that Perez was just a gracious man to ask us ...whatever we could and he said we should have brought more books (I brought a limit as did my friends.... 3-4 books at the most for each creator)

We had to wait to get Robert Kirkman and Marc Silvestre to come back from a panel. We did and after a really long line , the artist on Astonishing Wolfman signed a book and handed my 2 buddies AW #11. The book that was so damn hard to find for them. He handed them both a copy. They were very thankful. On around I got to Kirkman and thanked him and said I was never a fan of zombie/horror books til I got Walking Dead. I also said I was happy about the AMC series and he thanked me.

Silvestre was there and I handed him a copy of Messiah Complex he had done. And I called him "Mr.Silvestre" which got a jab from Kirkman as Marc was like..."Am I really that old ?" I answered back .."No ...no its a sign of respect. I read the Wizard where ya claimed ya went to the Playboy Mansion. I have to respect that !" He did his eyes and I believe he said .."Oh yeah...I did."

The sellers were nice. I talked and chatted to them. I took tons of pics of the women,men and kids in costumes. It was great. We stayed the whole day !

THE BAD

- This isn't meant to trash a guy or be an angry pissed off fanboy. Its just something that suprised us and made us question his attitude really. I mean ...I can see why as a famous old creator he'd do this. Maybe he needs the money and all. His art as he showed us for a future Batman run looked fucking awesome. I of course am talking about... Neal Adams.

We got in his line and I admit , had I looked thru my collection I'd have brought a few books for him to sign. I forgot ...but my buddy had 2-3 books ready for him to sign. The women beside him said "That will be $5 bucks for each book signed...." and my friend let him sign 2 and paid. My other buddy had a t-shirt and was letting everyone sign it. He paid $5 bucks.

So I'm standing with them and I think.... what the hell ...I have my camera..."Lets get a picture with Neal Adams." I say. The woman replies as I didn't hear her ..."That will be $20 bucks if ya want a picture." My buddy is like....shaking his head no. Once we left the line he told me what she said and I was like... 'What the fuck ?"

So yes I think he's a wonderful artist. I know he's done a lot for comics. But he did let down my friend who is a bigger fan of his than I am. It was dissapointing to be quite honest.

Beyond the whole letdown with Neal Adams we had a great time at the Con (all 2 days worth) and plan to go back next August when they move it to that date. We loved the trip and fun. And even joked .."What if fucking bullshit guy ran into Neal Adams at the Con ?" on the way home....

"$20 bucks for a pic ? Thats fuckin bullshit Neal ! Fuckin bullshit. Wheres your boss at ...gonna write a stern letter about that ...Fuckin bullshit."

ha ha....
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

The Hawk of New York LewMoxinsghost's Avatar

Nice write up man. I remember feeling similar feelings at Dragonco- wish I coulda gone to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by LewMoxinsghost View Post
    Nice write up man. I remember feeling similar feelings at Dragonco- wish I coulda gone to this one.
    Thanks ...it was a great show. By the 2nd day my feet was seriously hurting me . It took me a day to recover foot wise from it.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Thats not the half of it (Neil Adams). I was there, Saw a whole lot of others with stories too. He's not the first to pull the stunt, I think it is more to keep the crowd down a little. These things can put a frown with fans. If you bought something from him you didn't have to pay. I was on line, told my daughter to stay put till i came back. I got a sketch book signed.

I thought the convention was a great this year!.

BANNED

Sounds like a great con darling, sorry about the bad experience though. I guess no trip is ever PERFECT, at least mos of it was good :)

Not that I agree with Neal Adams charging for a photo, but all the tv stars do it at cons. Why not comic book people?

DM Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    Thats not the half of it (Neil Adams). I was there, Saw a whole lot of others with stories too. He's not the first to pull the stunt, I think it is more to keep the crowd down a little. These things can put a frown with fans. If you bought something from him you didn't have to pay. I was on line, told my daughter to stay put till i came back. I got a sketch book signed.

I thought the convention was a great this year!.
    It did make my friend a bit let down. He was a bigger Neal Adams fan than me. Like he was suprised Adams would pull that. It was his 1st major convention meeting one of his idols.

Quote Originally Posted by FeminineMystique View Post
    Sounds like a great con darling, sorry about the bad experience though. I guess no trip is ever PERFECT, at least mos of it was good :)
    Ohh yeah beyond that we loved the trip. It was one small little small pothole in the road. The rest was smooth riding and we all walked away happy. So no , Neal Adams didn't ruin the trip for us. It suprised us sure. But we met a lotta pros who were very kind and were the exact oppisisite of Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonmasterJim View Post
    Not that I agree with Neal Adams charging for a photo, but all the tv stars do it at cons. Why not comic book people?

DM Jim
    As our 3rd buddy who isn't a Neal Adams fan said as we walked around..."Who does he think he is ? Elvis ? $20 bucks for a picture with him. Sure ....." lol.

To me its his right if he wants to do it. But it doesn't mean I agree with it. I mean if you find people wanting to pay $20 bucks to snap a pic with ya , awesome. But I'm not one of them. I wish him look at finding people to do it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

As our 3rd buddy who isn't a Neal Adams fan said as we walked around..."Who does he think he is ? Elvis ? $20 bucks for a picture with him. Sure ....." lol.

To me its his right if he wants to do it. But it doesn't mean I agree with it. I mean if you find people wanting to pay $20 bucks to snap a pic with ya , awesome. But I'm not one of them. I wish him look at finding people to do it as well.
    That is a pretty good line. Had me laughing.

I agree with, I don't have a problem with people getting their picture but $20 is too steep for my wallet.

DM Jim

Frear of Natuke Mister Blisterfists's Avatar

I'd love to see your pics!