Sentinel of the Spaceways Featurette
Don't know if someone else has commented on this yet, so I'll go ahead and do it.
I picked up the "FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer" 2-disc DVD a while ago, and saw the "Sentinel of the Spaceways" special feature...which featured yourself and some of the Surfer's most prominent writers over the years. I found it to be a quite enjoyable featurette. You looked really cozy sitting there, (looked cold outside). You were pretty much how I imagined you would look - you know how we all have a visual in our minds of how someone looks before actually seeing them. I found you to be very well-spoken and articulate during the interview. Nice to put a face to the name.
Jim Starlin also looked and sounded pretty much how I envisioned...he kind of reminded me of James Caan in the movie "Misery".
So anyway, just had a few questions for you if you've got a moment:
1. Do you miss writing the Surfer? Would you jump on the chance to write him again?
2. Do you keep up with today's Cosmic Marvel at all? If so, what are your thoughts?
3. That was quite a collection of trades you had on the shelf you were sitting next to for the interview...which ones were they? I couldn't make any of them out, (maybe my TV's too small).
Well anyway, thanks for the great cosmic stories in the past, and I hope to see you back at Cosmic Marvel one day.
Last edited by Lord S; 10-11-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Originally Posted by Lord S
We had a late-season snow storm that morning, so it was snowy outside. And I woke up with a cold, so I was a little under the weather.
1) I don't miss it, per se, though I think I'd like to do one more Surfer story at some point.
2) I read stuff here and there when I get a chance, but not all of it. Nova has always been a favorite, and Pelletier kicks ass. Liked War of Kings a lot.
3) Dunno which trades are in the video. But one of the perks of being a pro is you get a lot of stuff for free.
Originally Posted by Lord S
1. No thoughts, really. Something visually epic, to be sure. I would love to have Marvel reprint my Surfer GN with Castellini, since the printing it received was pretty awful in terms of print quality.
2. Everything is cyclical. Thanos will be back.
3. I know!
I wouldn't mind if they collected 'Blood and Thunder'...I thought it was a great collaborative effort between yourself and Starlin.
And an absolutely kickass story!! I'd buy it in HC form.
My run on Thor was one of regrets of my career. I love Thor, especially the Lee/Kirby and Simonson stuff. But my run was pretty botched, in terms of both story and art. I like how my one Thor Annual turned out, but that's about it.
Sorry you feel that way, Ron. How many issues did you do? I personally found the idea of Thor going mad to be very entertaining. B&T was great, but I just couldn't stomach the art of Warlock & IW 25, by Angel Medina. I swear Odin looked like Santa Claus...kinda put a damper on my enjoyment of that milestone issue.