Page 2 of 197 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Dying Wish goes "Boink" Farmernudie's Avatar

Here is what Joe says:

JOE QUESADA: Some describe him as the Devil, some as a character that thinks he's the devil -- he's been open for interpretation for some time now.
    Ok....Superior Spider-Man is kinda interesting, i admit....that being said....i miss Peter Parker and that there isn't a "real" spider-man monthly being published

More quotes, who like to use the things that Marvel says as official....

Joe Quesada: There were several reasons. Mephisto made more sense. He had the potential power and he also hasn't been seen in a while. There was also the fact that he had dabbled in affairs of the heart before.....-- and, let's face it, this is quite simply the kind of thing the devil would do
    Ok....Superior Spider-Man is kinda interesting, i admit....that being said....i miss Peter Parker and that there isn't a "real" spider-man monthly being published

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post
    This is what you do if you're a good guy and Mephisto offers you a deal:

This must be the same Panther that put Silver Surfer in that armbar hold. Guy's a beast.

Another official marvel quote, for those that want to take time to debate wording and what marvel says...

JOE QUESADA: A deal with Loki doesn't strike the same chords and would tie this story into Thor mythology -- and that just complicates matters. And why would Loki honestly care? Quite simply, the story of "One More Day" revolves around one of the most classic devices in literature, the Faustian Pact

From the book, in writing, inside the comic:...

And MJ says in OMD:, "I know in my heart of hearts that you and I were always meant to be together. Whatever he throws at us, whatever he does, whatever he undoes, it doesn't matter. Because whatever he does to pull us apart would have to be bigger and stronger than what brought us together and kept us together, no matter what happened. And there's no power in the universe big enough for a job like that. Not the devil, not god, not anybody,"

JOE QUESADA: A deal with Loki doesn't strike the same chords and would tie this story into Thor mythology -- and that just complicates matters. And why would Loki honestly care? Quite simply, the story of "One More Day" revolves around one of the most classic devices in literature, the Faustian Pact
    Symbolism is important, but just because something stands in the place of an iconic image doesn't mean they are that thing. One of my favorite Daredevil splash pages just showed a realy big closeup of DD's face in mask smiling. He was saying "Trust me" and the caption box added "said the devil."

It was a nice image. Striking and somewhat symbolic, but it doesn't mean Matt is Satan, despite how he dresses.

And MJ says in OMD:, "I know in my heart of hearts that you and I were always meant to be together. Whatever he throws at us, whatever he does, whatever he undoes, it doesn't matter. Because whatever he does to pull us apart would have to be bigger and stronger than what brought us together and kept us together, no matter what happened. And there's no power in the universe big enough for a job like that. Not the devil, not god, not anybody,"
    So clearly she's saying Mephisto is God ... or possibly anybody.

and, let's face it, this is quite simply the kind of thing the devil would do
    It is something the devil would do. Of course saving lives is something Spider-man would do. That doesn't mean that anybody that saves lives is Spider-man. It just means Spider-man would have done it. And if the devil was there, he would have done this.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Old people are only good for dying.
    Don't let society tabus blind you ! Be more open minded

BANNED

I don't think Mephisto is THE Devil.

However, I believe the term "deal with the devil" or "devil deal" is an apt metaphor for Peter's actions during OMD, especially given the imagery usually associated with Mephisto.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE QUESADA
    A deal with Loki doesn't strike the same chords and would tie this story into Thor mythology -- and that just complicates matters. And why would Loki honestly care? Quite simply, the story of "One More Day" revolves around one of the most classic devices in literature, the Faustian Pact
    a) Loki would care because he owed Spider-man, and hates to be in someones debt.
    b) That story was told specifically as set-up for One More Day.
    c) Earlier you said Loki wasn't available on account of being deadish. Make up your mind.
    d) Now Spider-Man is tied to a mythology far more usavory.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

(This is to help Alan above, in reply to Alan above and these exact quotes and his statements...)

Just how exactly can you have a classic Faustian Pact without a "devil"...??

This story quote is about sequential storytelling. Anybody who read the sequencing of events building up to the devil deal, are aware of the coversation with God, and later Mephisto, the devil. Obviously a story CONTRAST, good vs evil, God vs. the Devil, etc.
    MJ is saying that no matter what, "HE" cannot pull them apart. Obviously, even to MJ in the story, is the devil part, of the former mentioned Faustian PAct that Joe Q. states that this was.

Joe Quesada: There were several reasons. Mephisto made more sense. He had the potential power and he also hasn't been seen in a while. There was also the fact that he had dabbled in affairs of the heart before.....-- and, let's face it, this is quite simply the kind of thing the devil would do
    This is Joe explaining why they went with Mephisto, summing it up with that this is the kind of thing the devil would do. He is trying to point out the obvious of his formerly mentioned Faustian Pact, and who you'd have to have involved, and according to Joe, obviously Loki doesn't fit the bill in his opinion, but instead the character witht he official list of devil named aliases.

JOE QUESADA: Some describe him as the Devil, some as a character that thinks he's the devil -- he's been open for interpretation for some time now.
    This totally and completely shoots down anyone's stance that it IS NOT open to interpretation, that Mephisto is the devil. Unless, of course, you disagree with the head Marvel guy, that everyone wants to quote, and you don't get a more of an official statement than that.

To sum things up clearly:

These quotes clearly show that it is a Faustian Pact. Logically, you cannot have a "classic Faustian Pact" without a devil. Obviously.

Second, the character (MJ) in the story recognizes the devil, aspect, and thus that her and Pete were caught up in a devil deal, and (that MJ feels they can overcome it.)

Thrid, the evidence shows the writer and EIC is refering to Mephisto as the devil and referencing that.

Lastly, Joe Q. states that Mephisto devil character has always been open to interpretation, and that Marvel simply uses him that way, because, as in this story, that is "simply what the devil does".

These quotes clearly show that it is a Faustian Pact. Logically, you cannot have a "classic Faustian Pact" without a devil. Obviously.
    You need "a devil" yes, much in the same way you need a "Faust" to mkae the deal. That doesn't mean whoever the bad guy is is the devil or whoever the good guy is is Faust. It just means the roles are being filled by certain characters and a deal is made by the protagonist with a suitably evil character in a way that seems as though something bad is going to come back and bite them in the end. (Not that is nessisarily always will.)

If it was Loki, Dormammu, Dr. Doom, or even the Green Goblin it would have been essentialy the same thing. You can make a deal with "the devil" without it being with The Devil.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

I've said it before.

Mephisto is the Devil without the specific religious implications.

It's Marvel having it all ways.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I've said it before.

Mephisto is the Devil without the specific religious implications.

It's Marvel having it all ways.
    Yep.
    Be all you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    He's as close as any character Marvel's got.
    What about the devil himself, Satan?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post
    THAT's the ULTIMATE EVIL in the Marvel U?

BWAHAhahAhahahHAHAHhAHAhHahHAhahahaa

Some 'devil' :rolleyes: