Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    That panel is gorgeous! I think it was this very comic that made me a fan of Ivan Reis. I believe it was Chuck Austen writing though… A lovingly rendered wondertush couldn't even save his writing, tragically.
    Pffffffffffffffff Wondertush....I scared my pets laughing.

"People don't actually like Wonder Woman. They like the idea in their head of what a "wonder woman" ought to be, which usually bears little resemblance to the character in the comics." - JKCarrier

Whiz Kids Vs. Witchcraft! tangentman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boonciaver View Post
    While that pic is a long-standing "Super-Dick" joke meme, it's also taken way out of context. Superman was under the control of a vampire in the hideous "10th Circle" story in JLA. As the vampire's blood-bitch, he blind-sided Wonder Woman, but she recovered and fought back. The true offensiveness comes in Wonder Woman being taken out by the generic vamp villain!

Shame on you, Chris Claremont! Even Storm put up a better fight against Dracula, and you allowed Wonder Woman to get skewered by a no-name vampire!
    Who needs CoTM when you can have a Skullie?

I am Tangent Man! I do not care!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayowa View Post
    While you certainly touch on an important point, the unfortunate thing to all of that is that it lacks a lot of punch to see enemies always diffused by Super Kindness. And I don't know if I want to be reading about happy Darkseid or loving Amazo anytime soon (though I was amused when Darkseid unwittingly absorbed some of her "essence" to his horror that one time).
    I prefer Wonder Woman to not be a hawk, but she can't quite be a dove, either.

It's a shame WB/DC haven't given her respect, she should have been in her own movie or WB/DC should have at least supported the tv series

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind Dinamo View Post
    It's a shame WB/DC haven't given her respect, she should have been in her own movie or WB/DC should have at least supported the tv series
    They got bad reviews for the Pilot so it was scrapped. They have a new tv series call Amazon coming now though.

Quote Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
    I don't know the context for this pic, but ever since I saw it, I haven't had any faith in DC to do Wonder Woman justice.

THAT is the correct question. And the honest answer is: being a girl. Something Wonder Woman seems to oddly shy away from. There's a great example of it, oddly in the JLA kids stuff. As a child, Diana gains this magical maternal instinct/womanly influence that lets her, basically, have her way with Etrigan and the rioters, because she's a girl, and often, in reality at least, that's all you need to solve a problem.

That's the original intent of the character, to show how feminine traits are not weak by putting them on a character that is the physical equal of Superman (and now the skill equal of Batman), and then putting them in situations where physical strength and skill isn't enough, situations that need a woman's touch - just as Batman always finds himself in situations where there is a detective solution to the problem, whether it's an alien invasion or a rescue mission to Apokolips. Diana needs to be that all-around character that gets to talk down something that can't be talked down. Make Darkseid smile and walk away. Have Amazo absorb her superhuman compassion and relent. Turn a white martian to her side. Give the Black Lanterns what they want while still getting what she wants. These are the 'pwnage' moments that Wonder Woman needs. Influence. Empathy. Truthiness. Persuasion. It can't be too psychological, then you tread on Batman's territory, or too inspirational, cuz that's Superman's, but something truly personal and emotional.

If they really want to make Wonder Woman seem crucial, put some infighting on the JLA and let her mediate and manage it. After that, making her villain into event villains is just a formality, I think.
    I am a feminist, but I can see the point DrCosmos is trying to make her. There is nothing wrong with "being the girl"; however, I do no want that to be her only attribute. As a member of the "Trinity", I would like to see her presented as a valid threat to Superman and Batman. No one disputes Superman's capabilities, and well Batman is Batman.

My biggest concern about the inclusion of Captain Marvel in the Justice League, is that Diana will lose what little hold she has over the "magic" niche. If they are both magical beings, and Captain Marvel is mightier than her, then all she really will be is "the girl". It is one thing to choose to be "the girl", and another thing all together to be incapable of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by GEMINUS View Post
    No one disputes Superman's capabilities, and well Batman is Batman.
    Batgod jokes aside, who seriously thinks he can beat Wonder Woman? Superman can push planets around and he has to work blasted hard for it.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

They really have got things wrong over the years, hopefully things are changing with her female animation and Morrison's WonderWoman EarthOne

does the the New 52 count?

Dr. Poison's Lab Asst. Power Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    does the the New 52 count?

At the very least, Azzarello's run does it my book.
    Check out Hall of Justice Forums at: http://hallofjustice1.proboards.com

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Kingdom Come.

She's an idiot plot device to hinder and then help Superman.

Also Johns' portrayal of her in Justice League.
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

BANNED

This:

BANNED

lololololol

Seriously, there are FAR more offensive portrayals of WW than that, Outsider. Actual offensive portrayals.

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    lololololol

Seriously, there are FAR more offensive portrayals of WW than that, Outsider. Actual offensive portrayals.
    Like what?
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

:rubs temples: This fact is so frequently ignored but here we go again...Johns portrayal of Wonder Woman has nothing to do with Superman, and everything to do with that just being the way he writes her, going all the way back to the mid 2000's. But lets blame it on a romantic pair-up anyway because its icky.

As for offenses, I'm offended when she's not drawn with flowing curly hair. Its a lost art.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.