Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Moore & Reppion Go Down the Rabbit Hole

CBR speaks with the writers behind Dynamite's upcoming 'Complete Alice In Wonderland' to talk mad tea parties, die-cut covers, classic illustration and befuddling poetry, along with an exclusive first look at the book's art.

Full article here.

Wow. Rather amazing to see a straight adaptation and not something that aims to sex it up, creep it out, or make any and all subtext so obvious a blind man could pick up the book and get it.

I might pick this up on that basis alone. Though the nice-looking art doesn't hurt.

A good example is when Alice, attempting to check that she is still herself, tries to remember her times tables "Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is—oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate!" This seems like an amusing bit of nonsense at first until you learn that Alice’s calculations are actually correct: 4 X 5 = 12 in base 18!!!
    Um, but 4 x 6 isn't 13 in base 18. It is in base 21, but...so what? There doesn't seem to be any pattern there.

I think it's a stretch to say her calculations are correct just because you can switch around what base you're using and MAKE them correct. (And if I were really to nitpick, I would draw a distinction between twelve and one-two; one-two in base 18 is not twelve, it's still twenty. The word "twelve" is itself a decimal number.)

If both calculations used the same radix then Reppion would really have something here, but as it is his logic is itself just an amusing bit of nonsense.